Ikea SYMFONISK Bookshelf Gen2 on 5 GHz WiFi with TP-Link Omada Setup

• 9 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Opening this thread to add some details of my experience so far with the product and its setup - on 5GHz WiFi network in particular. 

In short, the the hardware of SYMFONISK Bookshelf Gen2 appears to support only the lower frequency channels of the 5 GHz WiFi spectrum, which is a bummer.

I use the TP-Link Omada setup and have enabled the AI based WiFi band optimization to run once a week (which enabled it to function much more efficiently and I have never had any problem with it on my other devices); after one such run is when the device fell off the network and could not connect back. However it continued to funciton normally the moment I enabled 2.4 GHz network with the same SSID.

Post reaching out to Sonos support - to arrive at no conclusion, resetting my Sonos device once and going through all the logs on my network end, I figured out that the device does not support higher frequency channels such as 149, 157, etc.

The moment I manually changes the settings to a lower frequence channel - 36 / 40 / 52 / etc, the device works like a charm, with no hiccups or isses what so ever.

Therefore, whoever is facing challenges with Ikea based Sonos devices on 5 GHz WiFi, make sure to check what channel is your device using for 5GHz broadcast.

Hope this helps somebody! 🖖

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge

They very well could be keeping it simple. However, if the technical details are shared via some means, it’ll be a great deal, as that’ll save so much time for so many out here.

The channel 149-177 block isn’t available in all countries. In fact ch 177 is barred in most. IKEA (Sonos) probably went for simplicity in terms of region configuration.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Would this (if true) be a bother for many people? If so, can Sonos comment?