Ikea SYMFONISK Bookshelf Gen2 on 5 GHz WiFi with TP-Link Omada Setup

• 9 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Opening this thread to add some details of my experience so far with the product and its setup - on 5GHz WiFi network in particular. 

In short, the the hardware of SYMFONISK Bookshelf Gen2 appears to support only the lower frequency channels of the 5 GHz WiFi spectrum, which is a bummer.

I use the TP-Link Omada setup and have enabled the AI based WiFi band optimization to run once a week (which enabled it to function much more efficiently and I have never had any problem with it on my other devices); after one such run is when the device fell off the network and could not connect back. However it continued to funciton normally the moment I enabled 2.4 GHz network with the same SSID.

Post reaching out to Sonos support - to arrive at no conclusion, resetting my Sonos device once and going through all the logs on my network end, I figured out that the device does not support higher frequency channels such as 149, 157, etc.

The moment I manually changes the settings to a lower frequence channel - 36 / 40 / 52 / etc, the device works like a charm, with no hiccups or isses what so ever.

Therefore, whoever is facing challenges with Ikea based Sonos devices on 5 GHz WiFi, make sure to check what channel is your device using for 5GHz broadcast.

Hope this helps somebody! 🖖

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Would this (if true) be a bother for many people? If so, can Sonos comment?

The channel 149-177 block isn’t available in all countries. In fact ch 177 is barred in most. IKEA (Sonos) probably went for simplicity in terms of region configuration.

Badge

They very well could be keeping it simple. However, if the technical details are shared via some means, it’ll be a great deal, as that’ll save so much time for so many out here.