Question

How do I connect Play:5s to the TV? And Will Quality be compromised?

• 6 February 2014
  • 23 replies

Hello! I'm not really interested in buying a playbar because my primary objective is to play music in my living room via my mobile devices, etc. However, since my TV is also in my living room, I think it a bit of a waste to have a music system in place that doesn't integrate with my TV. So...originally, I was thinking of purchasing two Play:3s, since my buddy has this setup in his home. I really liked the sound quality of the Play:3s for the value! However, I notice that the Play-3s have no in-line input to connect to the TV. Can you tell me the different solutions for integrating the Play:3s or Play:5s to the TV - other than purchasing the playbar? If I were to purchase two Play:5s instead, how would I set them up to my TV? Would there be any sound delays from TV to the Play:5s in this scenario? FWIW, I have a Sharp Aquos TV. Thank you! D

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello David,

The CONNECT, CONNECT:AMP, and PLAY:5 all have analog audio inputs which you could have wired into the TV and use it to stream the audio to any Sonos components. The Line-In on these components isn't designed for use with a TV and you can experience some latency issues while the audio signal is converted through the RCA.

If you have a pair of PLAY:5s, you can use the Line-In on either or both of those units. Have the 3.5mm headphone jack from the TV plugged into the Line-In on the PLAY:5 and you can use that to listen to your TV. 

The PLAYBAR has an optical connection instead of the RCA for decreased latency and increased quality of playback. For use with a TV, that is our recommended player.

Cheers.
Badge
Hello David,

The CONNECT, CONNECT:AMP, and PLAY:5 all have analog audio inputs which you could have wired into the TV and use it to stream the audio to any Sonos components. The Line-In on these components isn't designed for use with a TV and you can experience some latency issues while the audio signal is converted through the RCA.

If you have a pair of PLAY:5s, you can use the Line-In on either or both of those units. Have the 3.5mm headphone jack from the TV plugged into the Line-In on the PLAY:5 and you can use that to listen to your TV. 

The PLAYBAR has an optical connection instead of the RCA for decreased latency and increased quality of playback. For use with a TV, that is our recommended player.

Cheers.

Hi there. Im having an issue thats similar to your advice above. Can I set up a strereo pair of 2 Play 5s using the mini jack line in from a TV source into just one of the play 5s? Works ok for music (from sonos library etc) but when I switch to the Home Theatre I just get sound from one Play 5. Help? Stereo pairing doesnt seem to carry over. I can group them but thats not a stereo pair.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello David,

Cheers.

Hi Andy,

You only need to be wired to one side. The 3.5 mm signal going to your PLAY:5 will be stereo so if you're in a stereo pair you'll get audio from both sides. Make sure you're wired to the Left side for optimal connection strength. 

If you're still having trouble, can you please submit a diagnostic from your system and reply back with your confirmation number? Make sure you're listening to the TV audio and aren't getting sound from one side. Please note which side you doesn't have audio from.

Thanks
Badge
Hello David,

Cheers.

Diagnostic confirmation number is: 3845507
I have the line in running to the left play 5 unit (living room 2) and when stereo paired with the other play 5 (living room) the audio only comes from the right speaker (living room). Living room 2 goes silent. 
The Sonos was in this state when I ran the diagnostic. 
As I mentioned before - when grouped both units work correctly (but obviously not stereo!). 

Thanks for the help on this. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a question with the original poster - you said that you are not interested in the Playbar because your primary objective is playing music in your living room.

You do realize the Playbar plays music exactly the same as if it were a Play:5 and has very good sound.

A Play:5 has 2 tweeters, 2 mid-range, one 3.5 woofer.   The Playbar has 3 tweeters and 6 mid-range.  Stand alone it may not get as low in bass as the Play:5 but it is pretty close with all of those mid's (of course a Sonos Sub paired with it would make for sound that would rival 2 Play:5's).

But functionally the Playbar is no different then a Play:5 other than having the TV input.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hello David,

Cheers.

Your not accidentally plugging the TV output into the headphone jack on the back of Living Room 2 are you?
Badge
I have a question with the original poster - you said that you are not interested in the Playbar because your primary objective is playing music in your living room.

You do realize the Playbar plays music exactly the same as if it were a Play:5 and has very good sound.

A Play:5 has 2 tweeters, 2 mid-range, one 3.5 woofer.   The Playbar has 3 tweeters and 6 mid-range.  Stand alone it may not get as low in bass as the Play:5 but it is pretty close with all of those mid's (of course a Sonos Sub paired with it would make for sound that would rival 2 Play:5's).

But functionally the Playbar is no different then a Play:5 other than having the TV input.

Hi Chris, 

No - I'm running a 2 x (RCA) phono to 3.5mm stereo mini jack cable from tv to line in on Living room 2 play 5. 
If I was running to the headphone jack I would have no signal at all as the line into Living room 2 is the only audio source to either play 5. 

Any ideas?

Cheers for the help
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

But they both work if not a stereo pair.  Only thing I can think is - is their something wrong with cable that it is only sending the right audio channel via the wire.

What happens if you flip the red/white wires plugged into TV.  Does the sound go from the right to the left.  I'm thinking your only inputting the right channel into Sonos.
Badge

I swapped the phones round and attempted the stereo pair again - same thing happened. I expected the 'dead' play 5 to switch sides but it didn't.
Confused.... 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you connect the output to the other speaker - does it then become the dead speaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

can you try running cables from another device you know the right and left channels are working.  I just keep thinking the Sonos is only getting one channel.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Don't unpair them as stereo keep them paired and playing and swap the cable while you are listening.  Does it move speakers.
Badge

I ran the line in to the Living room 2 play 5 and created the stereo pair. when prompted to up the volume (ident) on the left unit I kept it the same (Living room 2 left / living room right) - and I got nothing at all. 

When I re created the stereo pair (with line in on Living room) and ideated that as the left I got only audio though the living room unit. 
It seems to only play audio through the right unit (without the line in) when paired. 
Again grouping works on both
Badge

I meant I got audio through living room 2 when line in was on living room and that ideated as left. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

But if you have them playing stereo paired and only hear sound out of one of the speakers.  While they are playing and you are listening if you swap the red/white wire on the back of TV does the sound move from one to the other or not?
Badge

Ive stereo paired them and swapped the rca/phonos. 
When swapping the audio seems to only be on one of the connector (1 legged?). I swap the working one from side to side of the TV outputs and Living room 2 (the non line in) is still the only one that works. If I swap the other connector from side to side I get nothing on either unit. 
So does that mean one side of my cable is not working? Or that the units aren't seeing stereo? I haven't another unit to test the cable with. 

I guess ill have to buy one to test. 

Cheers
Badge

So my point is it doesn't move speakers when i swap!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

seems to me it is the cable.  Sonos must default to only left side working if it only gets one channel.

Is it seated real good in the Sonos - it's not a cable with 3 leads is it (right left and video - those seem to never work right both channels when just using for audio).

Do you have a cable you can verify the Sonos port is working right.  Such as a 3.5mm to 3.5mm where you can hook your phone into the Play:5 and see that both channels work.
Badge

Right! so when 3.5 to 3.5 from my iPhone the stereo pairing works perfectly! so its my 2 x phono to 3.5mm cable thats 1 legged (its not one that has a yellow/video one). 

Thanks for the help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Glad we solved that mystery!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great to hear you guys got this resolved. Thanks Chris for helping out.

Andy, one last thing from the diagnostic, it looks like there's a lot of wireless interference around the Right side, which could cause it to cut out at times. If you have trouble, take a look for a cordless phone base station sitting right nearby the Right PLAY:5, or other wireless devices around there, such as other wireless speakers or security cameras.

You can also try changing the wireless channels on your Sonos system.

If you haven't had any trouble with that side cutting out, you don't need to be too concerned.
Having owned a couple of Play 1's for a while, I now want to have 2 X play 5's set up as stereo pair to deliver highest quality sound for streaming MUSIC. However, I would also like to connect the TV audio out for improved TV STEREO sound and get rid of my current soundbar. (I'm not interested in surround sound - just decent, spacial, stereo). I was assuming I could connect my turntable into one of the play 5's and the TV headphone out into the other play 5 and use the app to select the input I want to listen to - is that possible?
Should be possible.