Skip to main content

Having upgraded my system over the past 12 months, I am left with 3no ZP120 connect amps, 1no Zoneplayer S5, 1no Zoneplayer ZP90, 1no Play 3, a brand new unused Bridge, a CR200 controller and 2 pairs of speakers all of which are in good condition, complete with leads and instruction books etc which it seems wrong to condemn to landfill

Can anyone confirm that if I sell these on ebay (or similar) a potential purchaser would be able to install and make them work? Or are they only of use to somebody who already has a Sonos system  

Yes - as far as I’m aware they are all usable. I’ve bought secondhand  S1 components in the last few weeks and I’m listening to them now. This is a system built from scratch, not adding to an existing system.

There are of course some limitations: The S1 (first generation) app will probably never get updated, and units themselves will probably get little in the way of software updates, but everything that currently works should continue to work.

If you are going to sell online, it’s worth saying in the text of your advert whether the units have already been used with the trade-up program. This is likely to make a noticeable difference to demand and therefore the price you get.

I should add that some of the S1 components are not worth much - I bought what looked to be an unused Bridge a few days ago for less than £4! But that is pretty much the exception. Most other older gear sells for good money considering how old it is.

I should add that some of the S1 components are not worth much - I bought what looked to be an unused Bridge a few days ago for less than £4! But that is pretty much the exception. Most other older gear sells for good money considering how old it is.

Bridges used to be given away free with a purchase, and have never cost much on the used market. 

Bridges used to be given away free with a purchase, and have never cost much on the used market. 

I would think that their value at the moment would be driven mainly by the fact that they can be traded in for 30% off a Boost, so I was surprised that something that could save you almost £30 would cost £4, but that’s how it is right now.

I would think that their value at the moment would be driven mainly by the fact that they can be traded in for 30% off a Boost, so I was surprised that something that could save you almost £30 would cost £4, but that’s how it is right now.

Few setups actually even need a Boost, since any Sonos speaker can accomplish the same thing.  It’s only useful for a setup where you can’t wire any of your speakers and you do not want to use a WiFi setup.  After that, people are likely not aware that you can trade in a Bridge for 30% off a Boost, not think to acquire a used Bridge for that purpose, or feel that it’s worth the effort to do so.

Few setups actually even need a Boost, since any Sonos speaker can accomplish the same thing.  It’s only useful for a setup where you can’t wire any of your speakers and you do not want to use a WiFi setup.  After that, people are likely not aware that you can trade in a Bridge for 30% off a Boost, not think to acquire a used Bridge for that purpose, or feel that it’s worth the effort to do so.

Agreed, the current value seems to suggest that one or all of your points may be correct.

Perhaps your descriptions under-sells the Bridge/Boost a bit? I confess I only have a Boost because it was thrown in with a bundle of old Sonos items that I bought, but I value the fact that if set up correctly it prevents the Sonos system from consuming wi-fi bandwidth which users might want to reserve for something else? It’s not that important to me as almost all of my stuff is wired to a switch, but it could be a very useful attribute if your household uses wi-fi a lot for other things.

Thanks all, its encouraging to know that someone might get some further use from them as they were all working fine prior to upgrading my set-up. I take the point about the ‘trade-up’ value and will need to try and work out which ones that applies too………...is there an easy way to find this out???

Looking on ebay the combined value of all the appliances varies greatly so its probably just going to have to be a best guess i suppose

The thing about Ebay is that the prices being asked vary greatly, but the prices that things actually sell for do not so much. There are plenty of people listing stuff at more than anyone is likely to pay - they just never sell. If you look at “Completed Listings” you’ll probably see much more consistency just by looking at actually sold items.

If you go online to your Sonos.com account and look at the “Upgrade” tab, each of the items in your system should be listed. If they are eligible for the trade-up program it will say so. If they have already been used in the program, they will appear under the “Upgraded” sub-list.

Once again, thank you for your advice which i will follow in due course

best wishes. Nigel C