Full stereo option when watching TV audio ... please?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

131 replies

YES! I would like to have a full stereo option when watching TV audio!
---
Sonos should focus a lot more on cutomer dialogue.
Userlevel 1
+1

Just added rear speakers - Im so disappointed... :(

Many TV-channels in Denmark have reverted to only send in 2.0 - so without this feature, Sonos as Surround is really pretty useless in Denmark.
Userlevel 2
Are there any downsides to using the Neat box type solution other than added wiring/complexity?

I presume the wiring arrangement is; connect ATV4 via hdmi to Neat box ( or similar ) then connect Neat box to tv with hdmi and then Neat box to playbar with optical tos cable?

I want to use atv with a second tv that wont pass through 5.1
Please consider this in the next update of the software. I would like to use my surrounds on a full playback mode with music for any source.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Push push push
I would also like to use my surrounds on a full playback mode with music for any source.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Folks,

There's some great discussion here. I know this thread is a bit old, but it's been pretty active lately. Adding a toggle for the surrounds to turn them into multi-channel stereo is a great suggestion. In fact, the full option for music playback on the rear speakers came from customers requesting that feature.

As always, we can't comment on possible future products or features. This feature request has been noted though. We'll be sure to make an announcement as soon as we have something we can share.
yes pretty please add a full stereo option for tv audio. The full music audio is great, non surround tv would benefit greatly using those rear speakers.
Thanks
+111111111111
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Hi Folks,

There's some great discussion here. I know this thread is a bit old, but it's been pretty active lately. Adding a toggle for the surrounds to turn them into multi-channel stereo is a great suggestion. In fact, the full option for music playback on the rear speakers came from customers requesting that feature.

As always, we can't comment on possible future products or features. This feature request has been noted though. We'll be sure to make an announcement as soon as we have something we can share.

thanks Jeff - nice to see this finally acknowledged - hopefully a software update will follow soon 🙂
Yes, please add a stereo option for the surround sound speakers playing anything through the TV. I really love the surround sound through the play 1's but sometimes feel they are not being used to their full potential when listening to music etc on the TV. Come on Sonos, this would be a great addition to a great product......
Userlevel 1
Would also very much appreciate this. Please please please add a stereo option to surround sound. I frequently have guests over and this would make watching youtube videos and many TV channels such as sporting events a much more enjoyable experience. Additionally, I frequently hook my DJ controller to the playbar via optical. The sound coming out of the playbar and sub are great but the surround speakers clearly suffer and are not being utilized to their full potention.
Would also very much appreciate this. Please please please add a stereo option to surround sound. I frequently have guests over and this would make watching youtube videos and many TV channels such as sporting events a much more enjoyable experience. Additionally, I frequently hook my DJ controller to the playbar via optical. The sound coming out of the playbar and sub are great but the surround speakers clearly suffer and are not being utilized to their full potention.
Have you tried turning the surrounds level control up to its maximum?
Another request for adding a toggle for the surrounds to turn them into multi-channel stereo.
Any updates so far ? I feel like this request would not be the most difficult to implement and would make a lot of Sonos 5.1 owners happy.
Thanks.
Me to please. I often listen to music shows and had assumed that this was the benefit of a good set of speakers. I was amazed to realise I couldn't make use of it.
Dear SONOS, this seems like a basic functionality that would not take much effort to implement. Full stereo from the playbar + surrounds would really make your customers very happy. Something that would take you a couple of days to implement would go a long way to please your customers. Seems like a no brainer to me. Please work on this ASAP. Many many thanks.
Please please please make this happen. I'm getting tired of every customer complaining about the lack of an all-channel stereo option.

I know its not real surround sound, but the vast majority of my customers are not sound engineers and that is what they want.

Weve been Sonos Gold dealers for several years and unfortunately, we are just going to have to start cutting back on our Sonos installations in favor of more traditional AV Receiver/ Speaker setups until this is addressed.
Userlevel 1
Same as previous post. As electronics dealers/installers, it is very difficult for us to offer Sonos as a living room solution when we know that the rear speakers will barely play at all for most of our customers' everday programming. As mentioned, your system sounds great when a multichannel signal is coming in, coded with surround sound, but rears are almost always completely silent for most TV viewing and other stereo sources. "Multichannel Stereo" is a standard feature on just about every A/V receiver, and we'd love to offer Sonos as a competitive alternative. We simply can't do that in good conscience until the rear speakers can EASILY be switched to a room filling, all-channel stereo mode... Thank you for listening.
Userlevel 1
FYI: I believe your competitor (D. H.) offers "DTS Neo:6 Cinema", "DTS Neo:6 Music", "Dolby Pro Logic II Music", and "Multi-Channel Stereo" on their new system...
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
This is a must have for me as well.

Only with this I can replace my denon x2100w avr with Sonos 5.1 hardware.

Please Sonos, this thread is 3 years old, I cannot believe in 3 years there was no time to develop this common feature.

Thank you
Wow. Three-year-old thread and this must have feature is still not there. Sonos are you listening?
Userlevel 1
I would love to replace clients' AVR setups with playbar + surrounds, but the lack of this feature is a dealbreaker as most people prefer watching everything but sound intensive movies in All Channel Stereo mode. Sonos, any update?

Has anyone tested if the playbar and surround channels are actually in sync when this setup is playing back 5.1 TV audio? I suspect they may be dragging their feet on this because it may not be technically possible. If there is a minimum possible delay between the playbar and the surround pair, they would sync those by delaying the playbar in relation to the surrounds. That would work fine for music, but not for video because then the whole setup would be out of sync with the video. If surround channels in a 5.1 mix were delayed 70ms, it probably wouldn't be noticeable or might even add to the surround effect. But if the stereo channels were replicated to the surrounds, a 70ms delay would be noticeable.

I don't have a playbar setup, but this could be tested with a 5.1 file that has the same audio in every channel (played through the TV).
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
Me too but mainly when watching or listening to music channels on TV or music based smart TV content. There should be a 'music' button between 'speech enhancement' and 'night mode' that uses the 'full' or 'ambient' setting of the app

If thisis possible that would be a massive benifit to me as well.

Most of out TV is Stereo and the surrounds are redundant, would be nice for them to fill the space.
I'd agree, +1 to this feature, and would be great if it were a toggle like Night Mode, even when playing music because depending on the situation it would be nice to switch between Ambient and Full.
+++++1

I would love to have this feature, we have a Sonos One in the kitchen and would like to still hear the TV while cooking.

Please Sonos add this feature.