Full stereo option when watching TV audio ... please?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

131 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I see two explanations why sonos does not respond to this issue

1. Sonos does not care of his customers. They don't understand that nowadays customer relationship is the key to success (look at amazon)
  2. Sonos is really in love with his so so so so poor homemade application et does not want that we use our TV in full stereo mode to listen our native music application(spotifiy, deezer, ...) with our chrome cast or our pc directly connect to TV
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I see two explanations why sonos does not respond to this issue

1. Sonos does not care of his customers. They don't understand that nowadays customer relationship is the key to success (look at amazon)
  2. Sonos is really in love with his so so so so poor homemade application et does not want that we use our TV in full stereo mode to listen our native music application(spotifiy, deezer, ...) with our chrome cast or our pc directly connect to TV

I really hope it is neither of the above but 1) is certainly seems to be demonstrated within this 'idea' !

There are so many reasons why this should be implemented - music from TV/cable channels, music from smart TV apps, music from external sources (chromecast, amazon fire tv/stick, DVD playing cd or music dvd, other music device with HDMI or optical output), other TV content in stereo where surround simulation is totally lacking (all apply in my case!)

The only reasons I can think this is not being done are:
- lack of resources
- higher priorities
- no will to implement - its considered by sonos as unnecessary and/or overly complicated for us simpleton users to get our heads round
- technically impossible / unviable
- they dont pay too much attention to this site

It would be nice for Sonos to indicate what obstacles are standing in the way of this request which seems such a 'no brainer' to us mere mortals.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos for some reason hates user toggles.  To an extreme extent that keeps them from adding some versatility.  It seems to be a design philosophy that they still try to hold on to - although I have to say the market is dictating they start making some exceptions.I find the philosophy too ridged.  Especially with the playbar since they already have 2 user toggles in night mode and vocal enhance.  May as well add a Stereo mode one too.
Userlevel 1
The fact there has been no official word or comment from SONOS and there is no knowledge of a beta being tested with this capability worries me. I am going to continue to push the issue until this gets bigger, this system is advertised as being the "best" and very advanced technology while still sound great. How can you be the "best" but not even perfect STEREO sound?! Let's go SONOS before this becomes a PR nightmare.
SONOS please hear us!!I don't understand why there is no feedbacks from you here.

I actually bought a Playbar coupled to 2 Play:1, I was pretty sure you guys (SONOS) were going to prepare an update because of the lack of TV content in surround, but after several months and diverse beta/updates, nothing at all.It's really frustrating to spend a lot of money, and "see" my rear speakers (play:1) almost dead when I watch TV.
I don't know but if it's only a graphic issue, change or try another UI Designer... (Because I can not believe that it is a dev/technical issue).

We want FULL STEREO NOW!Please 🙂
Please can we get this!
Userlevel 1
Holy crap. I just came across this thread.

So I assume you have a 5.1 setup (LCR in front, LS, RS in rear, .1 as the LFE). Regardless of your preprocessor, when you device gets device gets a stereo signal (Left and Right, 2.0 channels) from say a music source, It will play Left and Right. But you want it to play through all six speakers. Well therein lies your problem. Stereo is a two channel signal, and you want it to play 5.1. Some systems call this "party" mode. Sonos isn't doing anything wrong, it is just playing the signal it decodes. Maybe that's not what you want, but it's not wrong.

Think about it this way. When you watch a movie that was originally recorded in black and white, do you expect to see it in color on your new $3,000 flat screen? No, because the information was not there in the first place. So for Sonos, or any manufacture for that matter, they have to "colorize" the sound by adding a "party mode" feature, basically fill up the extra channels. But again, currently I don't think they aren't doing anything wrong.

Some of my audio systems have a 5CH Stereo (kind of a colorized black and white) mode, same kind thing.
Andrew

And when your device gets a
Another vote for this feature. Would be very useful when playing stereo music through TV input.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Holy crap. I just came across this thread.

So I assume you have a 5.1 setup (LCR in front, LS, RS in rear, .1 as the LFE). Regardless of your preprocessor, when you device gets device gets a stereo signal (Left and Right, 2.0 channels) from say a music source, It will play Left and Right. But you want it to play through all six speakers. Well therein lies your problem. Stereo is a two channel signal, and you want it to play 5.1. Some systems call this "party" mode. Sonos isn't doing anything wrong, it is just playing the signal it decodes. Maybe that's not what you want, but it's not wrong.

Think about it this way. When you watch a movie that was originally recorded in black and white, do you expect to see it in color on your new $3,000 flat screen? No, because the information was not there in the first place. So for Sonos, or any manufacture for that matter, they have to "colorize" the sound by adding a "party mode" feature, basically fill up the extra channels. But again, currently I don't think they aren't doing anything wrong.

Some of my audio systems have a 5CH Stereo (kind of a colorized black and white) mode, same kind thing.
Andrew

You are technically correct but in my opinion your analogy with a black & white movie is disingenuous. A better analogy would be if you bought a new 4K TV and watched a 1080p source you would expect the TV to upscale it to 4K. Now of course this wouldn't be native 4K - the TV is just approximating the extra non-existent pixels from those around them - but this more comparable to 'upscaling' stereo by duplicating the left channel to the left surround and the right channel to the right surround.

So while they aren't doing anything wrong (just as a 4K TV displaying 1080p content at its native res isn't doing anything wrong) it would be nice to have the option to duplicate stereo to the surrounds.

+1 from me for this trivial software tweak of a feature - seriously, how can this have been unacknowledged for almost a year??
Badge
I too would like this feature because I access my music via my television using an Apple TV. Currently Sonos doesn't support Apple music so it's the only way I can get to my Sonos system since I don't have a Sonos play:5
Userlevel 1
I have the SONOS system (PlayBar, SUB, 2x Play:1) but have not recommended it to anyone, because I am disappointed for multiple reasons. Mainly the issue described in this thread.

I'm definitely no audio-techie, and not interested in becoming one. I just wanted nice "surround sound" when listening music and watching TV, without any cables. I understand that there are different "kinds" of surround sound, and that "real" 5.1 surround sound sometimes isn't available, but can be emulated. My very, very oldskool old wired amplifier had this option and this worked fine for me. Sound "from around" is real enough surround sound for me.

Now I have a new "modern" SONOS system, and my back speakers are almost silent most of the time; main volume blaring from the Playbar just in front of the TV. So the back speakers are almost useless to say the least.
Reading the forum I have to conclude this is by design, so maybe I should have done more research. Some lessons are (much...) more expensive than others apparently.
As far as support goes, I also would NOT like to be reminded of the room/surround-settings. Of course I've fiddled around with ALL the settings, but none of them had the desired result. If this is a feature that can be build in then I definitely recommend doing so, to prevent users from being felt ripped off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos ? hello, anyone there ?
Userlevel 1
Badge
OMG, this is basic stereo functionality. I cannot believe that you all have been begging for this for over a year, and no response from Sonos. I bought my system yesterday ($2000) and am frustrated that this basic mode, is non-existent. I agree with whoever made the comment about using this mode for football games too, in addition to what I asked for in the other blog.

I have 14 days to return this system. I do like the sound and the surround and the idea behind it.... but this is discouraging.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Biffy - I don't think we are talking about the same thing. Folks want stereo from LF/RF, and the same signal from LB/RB. The center is usually a mono mode (? I think). That is what we are looking for. Every other receiver on the market can do this.
Userlevel 1
Badge
OK - sorry if this has been posted already, but my installer taught me a trick to do this. It is labor intensive to go back and forth, but it can be done. Instructions:
1. Remove Surrounds from your current home theater system (ex: Living Room)
2. The two rear surrounds now become stand alone speakers, named Living Room 2, and Living Room 3
3. Group Living Room, with Living Room 2, with Living Room 3
4. Done - 5 Channel Stereo

Now to go back to Surround:
1. Un-Group all of the Living Room speakers
2. You now have 2 rear stand alone speakers
3. Now, add surrounds, like you did when you first go the system, one at a time, follow the prompts
4. Done - you are back to surround sound

SONOS - why can't you make a single click function in the app that switches between surround and 5 speaker-stereo???
Userlevel 1
Badge
Also S T I L L waiting for this to come.
PLEASE SONOS. I am longing for this feature for so long 😞
Another vote for this!!! PLEASE Sonos add this to the under consideration list and get it into Beta.

You've already given us the functionality to choose between ambient and full playback when playing music through the Sonos App. Surely it can't be that much harder to give us the same option when playing music through the TV or other external source. We can already achieve it by unlinking the surrounds and regrouping as a stereo pair (and then back again next time we want to watch TV). But that's way too clunky and manual for such a slick sophisticated system (and now you've made that method even more time consuming by prompting us to retune Trueplay each time we de-link and regroup - so much so that i'm now skipping the Trueplay step which surely defeats the object of you spending months developing it!!!)

Come on Sonos, where are you on this??????
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
OK - sorry if this has been posted already, but my installer taught me a trick to do this. It is labor intensive to go back and forth, but it can be done. Instructions:
1. Remove Surrounds from your current home theater system (ex: Living Room)
2. The two rear surrounds now become stand alone speakers, named Living Room 2, and Living Room 3
3. Group Living Room, with Living Room 2, with Living Room 3
4. Done - 5 Channel Stereo

Now to go back to Surround:
1. Un-Group all of the Living Room speakers
2. You now have 2 rear stand alone speakers
3. Now, add surrounds, like you did when you first go the system, one at a time, follow the prompts
4. Done - you are back to surround sound

SONOS - why can't you make a single click function in the app that switches between surround and 5 speaker-stereo???

well detailed by Aman - agreed ! Just give us a button to toggle this (of course it would have to 'remember' the surround settings) - how hard can this be ?? Put it right between Night Mode and Speech enhancement.
Hi,
I experience the same problem and would really like to have a simplier solution than the one given by Aman.
Please Sonos try to satisfy your buyers by providing them a simple solution on the App.

Thx in advance
Another vote for this!!! PLEASE Sonos add this to the under consideration list and get it into Beta.

You've already given us the functionality to choose between ambient and full playback when playing music through the Sonos App. Surely it can't be that much harder to give us the same option when playing music through the TV or other external source. We can already achieve it by unlinking the surrounds and regrouping as a stereo pair (and then back again next time we want to watch TV). But that's way too clunky and manual for such a slick sophisticated system (and now you've made that method even more time consuming by prompting us to retune Trueplay each time we de-link and regroup - so much so that i'm now skipping the Trueplay step which surely defeats the object of you spending months developing it!!!)

Come on Sonos, where are you on this??????

Exactly what I'm thinking....
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello Sonos, it's me again, and again and again ...

Just a reminder in case you change your mind and take care of your basic customers needs ... STEREO ... you know that system from the 30's (past century) ...

Good bye sonos I'm busy finding another solution ... and telling everyone not ti buy your 1000$ system 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
^ thats not the way to make them add that feature.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
^ thats not the way to make them add that feature.

indeed. Ill ask nicely (again) :-)

Dear Sonos. Please may we have this feature. Some kind of acknowledgement of the request would be nice also.
thanks.
Me too but mainly when watching or listening to music channels on TV or music based smart TV content. There should be a 'music' button between 'speech enhancement' and 'night mode' that uses the 'full' or 'ambient' setting of the app

+1
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
[quote=Mishonio]Me too but mainly when watching or listening to music channels on TV or music based smart TV content. There should be a 'music' button between 'speech enhancement' and 'night mode' that uses the 'full' or 'ambient' setting of the app

+1