Answered

For Music - Use Era 100 as stereo or part of Arc as surround set up?

I’m new to the Sonos system and so far have only the Arc and 2 Era 100’s. In terms of listening to music would it be best to set up the Era 100’s as a part of the Arc as surrounds, or just set them up as a stereo pair? They will still be in the same room, but I would name them differently, so that I get the stereo sound from those two speakers? I don’t have the sub yet ($$). Would having this change the answer to this question?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 5 April 2023, 17:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Set them up as surrounds with the Arc, but in the Surround Audio settings, change the Music Playback setting to FULL. This will allow you to get full stereo playback from both the Arc AND Era 100s.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Set them up as surrounds with the Arc, but in the Surround Audio settings, change the Music Playback setting to FULL. This will allow you to get full stereo playback from both the Arc AND Era 100s.

The great thing about the Sonos kit is that you can reconfigure it. Set up as surrounds you have a great system for music and home theatre. But you can experiment. Set them up as a new “ room” - which is just a label to identify them, call them “music”. Then position them in a traditional “hifi” position in front of your listening position, and see if you prefer music delivered that way. Then you have a 3.0 HT system and the stereo music one. You can still revert to the 5.0 home theatre config if you prefer that. 

Thank you both ! I’ll try the surround with FULL (once I find that menu), then mess around with separate rooms and see what it sounds like.

I was just like you my friend. Same purchase path too. Get the sub mini if money is tight, it’s no slouch and i promise you’re not missing out on too much. The more you get the greater you realize Sonos whole vision. Enjoy, and don’t hesitate to explore in the app. Self learning is satisfying. 

is the same true full era 300?

Userlevel 7

Yes.

Yes.

thanks!

one more please :)

say i use the era 100 and adjust the settingvto FULL-

arc will hold full stereo on its own,

but what about the rear?

will eace speaker hold full stereo, or will each become a single channel (rear righr will become right strreo)?

Userlevel 7

but what about the rear?

will eace speaker hold full stereo, or will each become a single channel (rear righr will become right strreo)?

The Era 100s will act as a stereo pair, not as two separate stereo speakers.

Badge

but what about the rear?

The Era 100s will act as a stereo pair, not as two separate stereo speakers.

Sorry I don’t understand your answer please clarify - as I have this question? When linked to an Arc/Beam, will the left surround speaker play the left stereo channel, and the right rear surround speaker play the right stereo channel, when I airplay Apple music on the FULL setting?.

Sorry I don’t understand your answer please clarify - as I have this question? When linked to an Arc/Beam, will the left surround speaker play the left stereo channel, and the right rear surround speaker play the right stereo channel, when I airplay Apple music on the FULL setting?.

Correct.  Both the Arc/Beam and the Left/Right surround will play a stereo signal at full volume when set to Full for music.