Error 30 - solved by overriding router's "clean browsing" DNS filter

• 20 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone,

I had multiple Sonos devices throwing error 30 this past week with the update to Sonos v14.9. I tried everything on this forum, including factory resets (about 20 times), unplugging all devices but one working device, plugging devices directly into router with ethernet, even trying to setup a new System in the app.

Eventually I discovered the issue was due to using a CleanBrowsing DNS filter on my router. The solution was to go into my DNSFilter router settings, and override each of the affected Sonos devices to a “No Filtering” filter mode.

With the DNS filter enabled, the system could see the updates but was unable to apply the update to the Sonos devices. Essentially the devices were bricked. When the filter is bypassed on each Sonos device, they are able to function and update as expected.

Hope this helps someone else with similar issue.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you take the filter’s strange behavior up with Cleanbrowsing?

Could be a possible malware attack. I would suggest getting a secure system like PureVPN or any other. Good time to avail great Black Friday deals as well. Always remember to protect all tech appliances against attacks. 

I didn’t raise the issue with CleanBrowsing, but I have seen it not play well with other devices previously. For example, my Google Chromecast doesn’t work at all until the filter is bypassed. Google speakers can also be a bit erratic if the filter isn’t bypassed.

I should have thought of it sooner, which is why I’m posting here -- maybe someone else in future has the same setting and will come across this post.