Era 100 pair v one sl pair

• 16 October 2023
  • 5 replies

I currently have a pair of play 1s as a stereo pair and enjoy them.  I am going to repurpose them into surrounds and set up a new music pair with either one SLS or era 100s with a sub mini.

I don't really need the extra features in the era and with discount they are not that much more expensive than the SLS, however I am a bit concerned about the dual tweeter in the era as it stands to reason that the imaging would be better from a single tweeter than the two in the era 100.

I have a single era 100 and think it sounds fine but don't really notice a stereo effect.  I realise that a pair of fives would probably be better for music but I'd prefer the flexibility of the 2.1 setup.

I thought that I had read that the fives shut off some tweeters in vertical position, so with fives in stereo pair and vertical is there just one tweeter per speaker working?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hey @Johnthestone, welcome back!

Have a look at the User Guides for the Sonos One SL , Sonos Era 100 and Sonos Five, they all contain information that might help you decide.

I thought that I had read that the fives shut off some tweeters in vertical position, so with fives in stereo pair and vertical is there just one tweeter per speaker working?

No tweeters are shutting off at any point with a Sonos Five. If you place a single Sonos Five on a vertical position, the position of the tweeters is not optimal for the stereo experience. It needs to be in a horizontal position in order to distinguish the left and right channel.  When you have Two Sonos Fives as stereo pair, one speaker is playing the left channel while the other is playing the right channel, using all tweeters.

I’d recommend doing the purchase directly from Sonos.com , that way you can test for yourself and if not satisfied, you can use our Return policy for a full refund.

By me replying here, your thread jumped to the top of the latest activity list in our community, maybe other members with similar setups can provide you with some insight.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Johnthestone,

No tweeters are shutting off at any point with a Sonos Five.

@Sotiris C., definitely? Fives are different to 5s or all speakers don't shut off anything?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hey @sjw,

I had a deeper look at this to provide you with a direct answer and avoid confusion.

We heavily filter a tweeter in that configuration of vertical placement. They are no longer aligned to do meaningful stereo, and playing multiple tweeters in mono would be problematic, leading to uneven dispersion due to alternating constructive and destructive interference with angle. One tweeter has more than enough acoustic output to keep the sound balanced with the other drivers and we also equalize accordingly with orientation changes.

I hope this answers your question.

Hey @sjw,

I had a deeper look at this to provide you with a direct answer and avoid confusion.

We heavily filter a tweeter in that configuration of vertical placement. They are no longer aligned to do meaningful stereo, and playing multiple tweeters in mono would be problematic, leading to uneven dispersion due to alternating constructive and destructive interference with angle. One tweeter has more than enough acoustic output to keep the sound balanced with the other drivers and we also equalize accordingly with orientation changes.

I hope this answers your question.

Well this is the crux of what I'm asking about the ERA 100,

If the two tweeters are providing L&R high frequency in a stand alone single configuration then how are they operating when configured in stereo pair?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Johnthestone,

When you pair two Sonos Era 100, each individual speaker turns into mono using both tweeters for high frequency audio and the woofer for the lower frequency audio.

The left speaker will produce audio from the Left Channel while the right speaker will produce audio from the Right Channel, providing a clearer sound to the listener.

Having two Sonos Era 100 on a stereo pair, improves the overall stereo experience from having a single Sonos Era 100 producing stereo.