End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Congratulations Sonos, you made the headlines in the Times and the Guardian in the UK.

Anyone interested in crowd funding a Hercules so we can airdrop a few tonnes of 'legacy' speakers onto the Sonos headquarters in Santa Barbara, California? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am betting that the next step will be a subscription model, where for a monthly fee, they will guarantee upgrades to your equipment as it gets obsolete. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Since buying into Sonos in 2007, I have used only two of the new features: I have connected Spotify and I use the iphone app. Haven’t needed more and do not need more to be perfectly happy with the system. I wonder what remarkable services they are going to add to warrant me scrapping half my system. I doubt I’ll use a single one.   

Userlevel 3

This doesn’t explain why speakers that play music now won’t be able to music in the future.  I understand why they won’t have additionally features; but, this doesn’t explain at all why music won’t be able to be played.

They will be able to play music in the future!

I’m affected by this news (4 out of 6 zones are ‘legacy’) and wholeheartedly agree the announcement was incredibly badly handled, that the forced creation of e-waste is abhorrent, the splitting of zones into ‘legacy’ and ‘modern’ networks negates half the reason for owning a Sonos system and that the 30% ‘upgrade’ discount isn’t enough, but this thread is becoming more and more hyperbolic!

No one’s equipment is suddenly being ‘bricked’ and the share price, while falling, is not ‘sinking faster than the titanic’. By all means continue to voice displeasure, it might have an affect, but at the moment its hard to see past the melodrama and people patting themselves on the back for lowering a company’s score from 4/5 to 1/5 in various places. Why would anyone from Sonos come on here to comment currently? - nothing constructive would come of it.

Who’s side are you on? if they don’t positively respond soon they’re a bigger bunch of morons than we all believe them to be already. All these comments are going global, not just here.

Userlevel 1

This might be a perfect opportunity for Sonos competitors to scoop up disgruntled customers.  Blue sound, whoever else:  if you’re listening, give angry customers a good trade in exchange for jumping ship and you might find a real growth opportunity out of Sonos’ historic blunder!!

Badge

I bought a Sonos Connect in 2018 to enable my husband to play his LPs on a turnable (which doesn’t have an amp) and his other other Sonos speakers.

Is is true that you will not be supplying software updates for this product (the Sonos Connect) and if so does this mean that his other Sonos speakers ( 1 Play 5, 3 Play 3, and 1 Play 1) will aslo no longer receive software updates.

I sinverely hope this is not the case. We spent a lot of money with Sonos 2 years ago and if ithe devices are to become obsolete I don’t know what we will do .

We are a retired couple in our early 70’s and can’t afford to replace the system.

I am very worried.

The newer version of the Connect and the newer Play:5 aren’t affected, and 2 years ago you should have been sold those. You should have gotten an e-mail listing any systems that are affected.

Also it looks very unlikely that staying in Legacy mode will be an issue with playing LPs (hopefully) as stuff like Internet radio, Spotify and other Internet services appear to be the main risk.

I was thinking of expanding my Sonos even further with a Subwoofer, Soundbar, and the new Move. Now I will reconsider as I would be afraid the soundbar and subwoofer which hasn’t been updated for many years will be “outdated” before I know it. Time to look into Bose or another product line. Sorry Sonos up until now I have lived your products. I don’t know who thought planned obsolescence would help sell any new product should be fired. 

Good bye and good luck Sonos hope you stock continues to crash.

Userlevel 3
Badge

When I called Sonos and asked how could they do this to their loyal customer base and stakeholders…  I was told they can’t do any more than 30% and they said that was a fair deep discount… REALLY???? What a Slap in the face… As for the stakeholders (Stockholders), they didn’t care… I was told that all stocks go up and down… and they said what a great Dec their stock has… But now that they have F..ed over thier base take a look at the stock now.. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Is there any evidence that Sonos is listening?  This is corporate suicide!   They must understand that this will poison their corporate image.  It is also a shame because up to now I have been very happy with their product.  Sonos Corporate:  Think!!  Fire whoever came up with this cynical ploy, change your position and come up with a reasonable option before it’s too late!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Userlevel 2

I have spent the last few days taking this news in and first of all, I honestly felt sadness and disappointment. Speaking from my own experience with Sonos equipment over 7 years and a few years before that researching the topic, my set up has worked really well in all respects.
Over the years I have recommended your speakers and set up to countless family and friends – who have also gone on, after doing their own due diligence, and paid decent sums of money on your products and been pleased with the results. I feel gutted to have recommended Sonos now.

However, my feelings have now turned to frustration and anger.

I have invested in 10x devices, of various sorts, and now find that 3 items have transferred to ‘legacy’ status. I agree with so many of the comments on this forum post and like many others purchased your equipment based on the attraction of having whole house audio coverage and this is the way we listen to our music. If I choose to separate out the system into ‘current’ and ‘legacy’ it will just not work in my open plan environment in a seamless manner and I will NOT be going down that route – I want to be able to use all my speakers together not separately.

So, I will be forced, come May 2020, to retain the software at that point, no future updates and things in the short term may well run as they do now – for a while.

All I am asking for is that the ‘legacy’ items just play music with the other speakers as a whole house system – since that is all I need them to do and were bought to do. I totally understand that other whizz bang options of voice control etc. will not be possible on these ‘legacy’ devices.

But, and this is what concerns me more, I can expect a reduction in functionality, although no detail on those reductions until May. as your press release mentions:

Continue using legacy products

You can continue using legacy products after May, but your system will no longer receive software updates and new features. Over time, this is likely to disrupt access to services and overall functionality.

Only a month or so ago my Samsung tablet and my wife’s tablet – both running the Sonos app - became obsolete as a controller (Android 6). I run my digital music library through a NAS drive connected to the network – took hundreds of hours to transfer the physical media (LP’s & CD’s) onto it – but your software would not let me update the Music Library UNTIL I had updated the tablets to the latest software. Guess what? Yep I couldn’t update them since you have made them obsolete. Luckily, we have mobile phones which can control the Sonos system.

I find this trend extremely worrying moving forward.

1 x Bridge – not used for a while since using WiFi network - BUT still worked perfectly

2 x PLAY 5 speakers – now tagged as ‘legacy’ - BUT still working perfectly – no problems

2 x branded Tablets – now unable to upgrade Sonos app - BUT still working perfectly on all other apps

• So, what next Sonos??           
  • Next 6-12 months my PLAY 1’s go into ‘legacy’ status??
  • Followed by SUB, PLAYBAR, PLAY 3’s a few years later??
  • What happens if I had my mobile phone stolen, or gone out and bought a brand-new tablet, then loaded up the Sonos app again?? Surely it will load up the app to the latest release and then won’t run the ‘legacy’ system of 10x speakers I have at home??
  • Is this the sort of ‘disrupt access to services and overall functionality’??
  • These are the sort of queries we as a community need answered in a timely manner in order to decide on our route forward

I have worked all my life in Electronics / Software and Manufacturing and am very familiar with the huge improvements in tech over the last few decades along with the costs to a business of supporting older products. But you surely employ some smart Software and Hardware engineers who I’m sure would relish the challenge of resolving this issue to interoperate aging and newer systems and continuing to support a long and established customer base?

It’s all about a recurring revenue business model but sadly Sonos has missed the point by a country mile. Most of us have bought a speaker, been impressed and continued to grow our systems over time. You could have continued for years picking up new customers and additions to systems from longer term customers too.

But the loyal customer base are NOT what Sonos want any more since we live in a ‘Consumerism World’ now, where everything is throwaway – even expensive items. What I find even more offensive are products that still work well, with no problems, are still seen as worthless. We should be absolutely reducing consumption of raw materials, the idea that these products could be on the landfill site after five years is outrageous.

I have been brand loyal – along with many other people - because the products work and will continue to work because they are just speakers and feel bitterly let down by your organisation.

I can honestly say that this is AN EPIC FAIL on your behalf and sadly I join other voices in actively discouraging other potential customers from purchasing your products if asked.

You need to rethink this decision at the highest level.

Is it me alone (I am sure its not) that SONOS is practically abandoning those of us...many of us, who have “invested in an ecosystem” while I ignored other competitors to build a whole home entertainment system out.

I personally started buying SONOS in 2013/14.

Living Room:

TV Playbar ($699)/Sub ($699)/2 x Play 1 @ $199 each.

Kitchen: Play 1

Dinning Room, Play 1

Front Room: Play 1

Bedroom, Play 5

Home Office: Play 5 

Plus he $49 bridge you had to by then toss away (if you wanted to) because they developed a WiFI only way with no need for the Bridge...the I bought then Boost for $99 which creates a “dedicated” WiFI network proprietary to just SONOS devices in the hopes of improved performance/no dropping out etc..

On top of all this, this ecosystem has driven increased sales for most all the major streaming services...from Spotify to Apple Music to Amazon Music, Pandora, and the list is LONG all those they partner with.  Spotify has a wonderful integration with SONOS off MAC or PC’s (I have both.).

Why the rant?

Lets clarify my investment just in SONOS Hardware: ~$3300.  Its like a new addiction!

I/We are being asked to take our investment and either: 

1: Not see any future upgrades pushed.  Matter of fact, We will have to move our “legacy” system into the “Assisted Living home group” where we get no upgrades.

or

We are bricked and the system won’t play.  Whatacompany.

2: Upgrade and trade in our old, (I don’t feel it’s that old)...with the plan of getting a whopping 30% trade in credit.

So I trade in a Play 5 and get 30% off $499 and get $150 off so I still pay $350 and I am supposed to forget the $499 I paid helping SONOS grow?

That I told 4 friends who were clueless SONOS existed years ago and they all have systems bigger than mine!  Not even a finders fee.  Wonder how they are taking this news? .

Basically, If I trade in all my speakers, I get to spend $2300 on top of the $3300 I already spent so SONOS wants to bump sales and I’ve now got a $5610 investment now in <5 years and I’ve been creditied a whole $990?

What I do NOT, for the life of me get, is what amazing new technology the new products bring?  I care not about Alexa….I care maybe a little about WiFI 6 Once the specs get ratified to where chipsets and SDK’s are compliant...not early adopter stuff.   Initially, SONOS only registered on 2.4 GHz spectrum, not 5G, unless someone can correct me, they were using old but relevant WiFI chipsets…

What am I missing? Instead of the blanket statement “..the need to be able to keep up with new technologies thus we need to deep 6 the ‘older’ speakers”, tell us what those wonderful features and technologies coming are we can expect...whats the foundation on?  Maybe we all have to go buy a WiFI6 router now? 

lastly, if I invested another $2300 just to have the latest SONOS...whats to say in 2023 we wont be asked to do this again?

Barking Mad

Userlevel 1

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that your (ill-advised) decision around end-of-life strategy is now hitting main news outlets in UK. It will most definitely affect your reputation and sales in a very negative way, as your clients will vote with their feet in their next purchase decisions.

Please see link below.

Guardian News

Not saying that this will happen, but there are plenty of examples in history when these kind of policy decisions cause irreparable damages to a company.

Sustainable development Sonos doesn't know what is it apparently. I'm so disappointed of this organisation. I'll never spent money anymore for a Sonos product. It's over for you!

:thumbsdown_tone2:

Hmm, spend in excess of £1,000 to replace kit that is currently working prefectly so that it could cope with possible future pie in the sky, and then have to do it again in five years time - I don’t think so. Time to re-evaluate my home music strategy.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Im above Tony Fleming on that screen shot! 

Sonos - A expensive speaker rental scam company

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well, at least we have not been given a diagnosis of cancer.

But it does feel like something dear has died, or has been given a death sentence.

Userlevel 2

Why would you do this to your most loyal and longest customers? I have been a Sonos user for a very long time and own around 15 speakers between my home and business. In the past I usually add between 1-3 new pieces a year. With this announcement I will not spend another dime on sonos anything. Why would I knowing that at any moment it will no longer be supported. This is nothing but a money grab on your part and you will get no more money from me. 

SONOS - The Software Company

Many companies release End Of Life statements on equipment but the key is good communications and plenty of notice.  EoL statements should clearly details the dates for the end-of-sale, end-of-support and finally end-of-life.  SONOS should have released such a statement years ago to let people know if they were buying into a ‘legacy’ product’.  Just providing a few months notice shows a total disregard to customer loyalty.  Can anyone point me in the direction of such a statement for the Play:3 for instance or am I likely to be told tomorrow that it will not make the end of the year!

To also compromise the ‘Modern products’ until you are forced to remove your fully working but now deemed ‘EndofLife’ products is such an aggressive stance to take and again shows no respect for the customer base.

I have been a SONOS fan for many many years but will no longer be promoting them as they have obviously become a software company with extremely poor lifecycle management.

And like so many other software companies they will no doubt start looking for new ways of generating revenue such as licensing feature sets within their software.  

BEWARE - these are the signs of another naïve software company coming out of what was once a great Hardware company.

Badge

BTW the Sonos Share Price graphs people have been posting are a little misleading…
Also their lawsuit against Google (which IMHO seems a reach) will be a significant factor in the price…
Finally lets not wish them that much ill, if they go all the music players go with them, and I already have two Internet devices that are just paperweights due to the company going bust (it was bought, but the purchaser ditched support for the old devices and offered a 25% discount on a new, basically identical, model - maybe with more memory IIRC)…
Not that I’m less than extremely annoyed that I have to go legacy (5 of 7 devices) and Spotify plus Internet radio might stop working sometime...

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

It is interesting to study the comments in this thread, as they all seem to be based on certain assumptions:

• “I am a good customer” - well, you may have bought things during time, but to Sonos it may well be so that a good customer is one who will buy something now and in the near future. Old customers are not contributing to the bottom line.
  • “I have been loyal to you, you should be loyal to me” - Sonos is not your friend! Sonos is selling electronics, of which you have bought some. They produce, you consume, end of story.
  • “My system of Sonos products is valuabe because I paid a lot for it” - My bet is that Sonos sees each product as a piece of plastic with some cheap electronics inside, and probably see the economical value only for as long as there is still a warranty to honor; as long as the product can still cost Sonos some money. After that, it is just an old piece of plastic.
  • “We 2,000 people who complain are such a force, they must listen to us” - Haha, Sonos has sold millions of devices and probably calculate in bigger numbers than that. Saying goodbye to 2,000 customers, of which some can probably even be won back, should not matter much.
  • “The press and internet media is supporting us” - As I read the articles out there, journalists have a hard time seeing the unreasonable in it all; as they all start with the official “Sonos is seeking to retire the oldest of its units, designed from 2005 to 2009”. Not many readers will feel pity for you who had support for such a long time on simple home electronics. And after a few days, these articles will be forgotten.
  • “Sonos depends on loyal customers” - As said, if you are not buying, you are not a customer. A business depends on selling something to real customers, not of having a fan club of former buyers.

I myself would like to believe in all these assumptions, but realistically speaking, there may be no response from Sonos, no change in the program, no reward for having complained about Sonos’ decisions and behaviour. After the storm fades in a few days, it will be business as usuall - Sonos trying to find paying customers where they can, and you trying to decide what to buy and what not to.

It is obvious that we are consumers trapped in the illusion of being kind of partners - and for this, Sonos rather deserves praise: they managed to spread this idea and maintain it for so long, helping them to build a company. Cleverly done, useful to them when needed. Now it is not needed anymore, as the company is growing and developing different needs, such as a vision for the economical future, and later, some more solid quarterly reports for the shareholders.

It is tempting to cite The Matrix: “Welcome to the real world!”.

Word of mouth has been key to Sonos’s success. While we may not buy as many units as new customers, we are acting as advocates to new customers. Several of my friends have seen my system and bought Sonos units, because it’s a great system! This is a common story.

Also, the storm that this has created across the tech media, social media and on here will place doubt in many potential customers ie. you want to buy 3 units at a cost of £500 per unit and then plan to expand in the future. Seeing what has happened here, most won’t buy. Why pay premium prices when you can pay less and update at a much cheaper cost? Amazon, Google, Apple and many more can do that. Consumers aren’t idiots. Sonos’s reputation is built on many things, one of which is longevity. They CAN’T compete on price!

They will anounce their financials on 6th February. Let’s see where they are 12 months later. My bet is they will have a solution by May which will satisfy most. Otherwise, they will suffer and then probably be bought up as their share price declines. 

Fundamentally, as someone has mentioned previously, they have an opportunity here to sell a box with a fast processor, plenty of memory to allow customers to run 2 systems as 1. Most customers see this as a money grabbing decision, rightly or wrongly. 

We’ve seen Nokia, Kodak, and many more who made strategic errors which resulted in their decline and missing massive opportunities. In today’s world, bad as well as good news spreads very quickly. Remember Ratners before social media. 

Anyway, nobody in their right mind is going to upgrade a perfectly working product or expand their systems. They’re certainly not going to recommend Sonos to anybody else. In fact, the opposite. A Sonos system isn’t a mobile phone. It’s fundamentally a speaker. To brick products that work perfectly in a world looking to protect the environment, it’s madness. Recyling? Yeah right. Landfill for most and then all the energy used to build new units to replace legacy.

We’ll see who is right in May and/or by next year 2021.  

I have, blessedly, only one Connect that is affected.  I’m happy to disconnect it from the Play:1’s and Play:5’s that are distributed in my house, as it serves only my home theater/main system, and the Sonos speakers are usually used individually by my kids …

The issue comes if Plex, the plug-in that permits more than 65,535 cataloged media server tracks, is updated to no longer support the Connect … and, to a lesser extent, other apps like Soundcloud or Radio.net/TuneIn.  At THAT point, the Connect will be worthless to me.

Do we have assurance that this will not happen?  Do we have to plead to the app developers individually to not drop the Connect from supported devices?

I have a better idea … Sonos do the begging … or maybe they think that the ‘planned obsolescence’ model of Apple is a good idea.  If so, I think it’s a suicidal move.

Thanks for listening -

ianbtv (Williston, Vermont  USA)

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey Patrick… Hows the lawsuit going with Goggle?   Looks to me you decided to screw over your base to try to extort cash to pay legal fees… I’m not paying for that…  I can’t wait to hear the Feb 5th earning call…  better wear a diaper.

I am simply disappointed.

For years a bragged about your product, and now you are making me leave you .

You no support policy affects the people that were 1st to you door, helped beta test with you and endured not great initial experience.

And for a thank you you no longer care to invest in us , but want me to invest again in you.

Very short sighted on your part

Short term greed for longer term commodification. 

SAD 

Userlevel 4
Badge

At the end of the day, I am happy Sonos has now clearly explained what is architecturally possible with their whole home audio system. They are only confident enough to be able to guarantee software updates and support for five years after they stop selling a generation of any given product. While sad and frustrating, if that’s the best they can do - oh well.

This clarity may well work for some people, and undoubtedly these people will be willing to continue investing in the Sonos ecosystem.

I am not willing to continue investing in a componentized whole home audio system anymore that will see pieces drop out of support and need replacing every 5-6 years.

The good thing as products fall into legacy, those of us who want out, can replace those legacy products with alternative products to Sonos and gradually escape the ecosystem we’ve invested in. Fortunately, nothing else locks us in once Sonos kills off our initial investment. Music streaming is a commodity widely available elsewhere, and none of our owned music is locked to Sonos either. So it could be worse!

Sonos has essentially come up with a path by which we can all go our separate ways if we so choose, and I wish those who remain committed to Sonos well.

Me, it turns out the clever bits that attracted me to Sonos in the first place are not so widely used by me. I almost never group speakers or control different music playback in different rooms. The typical use case in my home is one speaker is playing music and nothing else. And there are obviously lots of excellent options available for this use case.