End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 2

Bottom line.  I'm not recommending your products anymore and I won't spend another dime on your products.  This is sad because I loved these products.....

Shame. Shame. Shame. 

Userlevel 2

Been with Sonos from early on, have (4) Play 5s, (2) Play 3s, Connect Amp, Playbar & Sub. Just purchased my two adult children each a Beam and (2) One SL for Christmas. Am absolutely devastated by this. I have been a very vocal supporter of Sonos through their obstinate refusal to even discuss Dolby Digital Plus or DTS, let alone Atmos. And this is how they reward that loyalty? Well...I for one am going to spend the approximately $1,500 it would cost me to upgrade (even with the 30% discount) to continue with exactly what I have now towards a hardwired Klipsch 5.1 speaker system and Denon AVR receiver. I have until May to research this further, but I am not going to get sucked into another wireless system where corporate greed dictates planned obsolescence as a means of meeting stockholder approval. I have spent the last 24 hours telling people to stay completely away from any Sonos product.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sonos is headed for bankruptcy. 

That’s not hyperbole. The product is way too expensive to be disposable. It’s simple Sonos, preserve the existing functionality of the equipment we own at all costs. We will understand if a new streaming solution won’t work on a legacy product. That said, existing solutions like Apple, Amazon and streaming personally owned music needs to continue. 

If you can’t make this work - a 30% discount is a joke. 50% for a 10 year old product and increasing 5% per year of ownership from there is what it will take to stay in business. 20 years is a reasonable expectation for audio equipment of this cost. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Please explain what you mean when you say that you will support products that you sell for at least 5 years.  I bought a CONNECT:AMP in 2018 to add to the 3 CONNECT:AMPS ans 2 CONNECTS that I bought in 2015 (less than 5 years ago - but it will be 5 years in May when you discontinue support).  If the one I bought in 2018 is still “Modern”, why aren’t the others?

There were apparently some hardware changes without a corresponding device name change. Sonos realizes this was a very bad idea and probably won’t do it again.

Userlevel 1

Badly thought through.  Badly rolled out.  Like others, I’ve spent thousands of dollars on Sonos gear over the last decade.  But no reason to stay in a restricted ecosystem that will get obsoleted periodically when there are lots of other good wireless speaker options that sound as good or better.  When you get crushed by the tech giants whom you’ve been complaining about in Congress recently nobody will care.  You’re treating your customers the same way. 

It’s clearly implied from the wording around their reasoning and the vagueness of their timeframes. Sonos can’t be more specific about how long Legacy devices will last because they have no control (or a worsening relationship thanks to legal action) over the APIs and requirements of the likes of Spotify, Amazon and Google. 

Well, Sonos actually using their own API’s for streaming, not the streaming services.  That’s probably why I wasn’t drawing the same conclusions you were.  When Sonos stated that they can’t promise all streaming services will continue to work, it’s because the API between legacy and modern may eventually differ, and a streaming service may chose to longer support the legacy API.  At least, that’s what I got from the message.

in short an environment they once controlled almost completely has slowly been eroded as we all demand more Streaming and Voice services. Their failure is in not negotiating or developing a technical solution that maintains core functionally while foregoing new advancements. 

I’m not exactly sure what you’re trying to say here.  Sounds like your saying Sonos should ignore customer demands for more streaming and voice services and just focus on maintaining the core functionality.  Doesn’t matter I suppose, we can all come up with our own theories of why Sonos is making this decision.

Please explain what you mean when you say that you will support products that you sell for at least 5 years.  I bought a CONNECT:AMP in 2018 to add to the 3 CONNECT:AMPS ans 2 CONNECTS that I bought in 2015 (less than 5 years ago - but it will be 5 years in May when you discontinue support).  If the one I bought in 2018 is still “Modern”, why aren’t the others?

There were apparently some hardware changes without a corresponding device name change. Sonos realizes this was a very bad idea and probably won’t do it again.

Not only was there no name change, the product also looked exactly the same. IMO, this leaves Sonos vulnerable to a legal challenge to this action. The problem is that this isn't easily done by individuals against a corporation.

Now you have admitted you no longer control some aspects of your own environment - having submitted to the big streaming companies - your value proposition is greatly diminished. 

Huh?  Did Sonos stated that they are dropping support for legacy products (at least in terms of added features) because of some sort of pressure from big streaming companies?

Is this rhetorical?

No.  I have not seen a statement from Sonos stating that they had to drop support in any way because of pressure from big streaming companies.

So then, yes, it was a rhetorical question.

Official statement from Sonos is historically sparse and infrequent. Reading between the lines and the silences, particularly in lieu of the legal proceedings now underway, I’m really not sure an official statement is needed to draw some logical conclusions. I also look back at the arduous process the Sonos:ONE went through 2 or 3 years back now as even deeper software development ties to both Google and Amazon got underway. I’m not much for speculation, but all things being as they are… it’s a pretty logical thought, statement or no. And such a statement simply isn’t one a public company would say outright.

Userlevel 1

Just had this from Sonos .…

Hello Michael,

My name is Matthew. I'm a supervisor in Sonos Customer Care.

Your entire system will still work after May, it just won't update anymore. As time goes on there may be services that stop working, but you could use your system for years before any of that happens. Legacy and newer products will be able to separate so the newer products can continue to update. I don't know the details of that. There will be more in May.

You don't have to even think about possibly upgrading anything until those older products can no longer do something you need them to do. If a time comes where you do need to upgrade we can talk about discount options. But there is no reason to spend any money while the system is still doing what you need it to do.

Every Sonos device does have a small computer running inside. It is not static AV equipment that never has to update software. Sonos systems have to communicate with each other, other devices on the local network, and 60+ cloud services.

I'm certainly willing to answer any other questions you have about this.

Matthew G

Whilst this is good to know, we still have 4 out of 6 Sonos products at home that will 1) not work as well as they could 2) no longer work as a whole house system if newer devices are to be separated 3) not be the system we purchased originally and therefore no longer fit for purpose.

Will Sonos refund me the cost of our system set up as they will no longer be fit for purpose, despite being in perfect (as new) working order?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

According to my sources the original Connect and Play 5 had 32mb of memory, the connect:amp and play 1 have 64. The newer connect has 256mb as does the Gen 2 play 5.
The newest models have 1024mb (1 gig) so it is safe to say that the older models with 64 and 256mb are likely not long for this world. And when 1 gb is not enough, they will get tossed too. This will NEVER end and the cost of ownership it through the roof. 

Userlevel 1

This is total BS!  We need to unite and send a message to a company that thinks they can exploit our loyalty. We helped make this company with our money and free sales and marketing by convincing our friends, neighbors and countrymen to buy into the WIFI revolution of HiFi and home control.  I say we help erase the pain we all feel by seeing this once cutting edge upstart to feel the wrath of a lover scorn!  I say February is the boycott SONOS month!  And March is the class action lawsuit month. 

February, we spend the same effort convincing unaware victims from making the same mistakes we made and insure SONOS has little or no sales for at least 1 month. Inform all you know of the wrongs we have paid and the embarrassment of a 30% off from a once “cool” high tech future we lament. 

March is getting the underbelly of this nation to rise and put together a class action suit to hold accountable those who have sold is a pig in a poke.

what say you?  Are you in?  I’m fed up and going to spread the negativity wide and far, while I enlist any and all class action lawyers to make the glysophate problems Roundup has look like Girl Scout cookies.  

hell has no furry like a woman scorned!

Userlevel 2

I’ve convinced so many friends to buy Sonos. I’m ashamed and super angry while sitting in my house full of their products.

Userlevel 3

Now you have admitted you no longer control some aspects of your own environment - having submitted to the big streaming companies - your value proposition is greatly diminished. 

Huh?  Did Sonos stated that they are dropping support for legacy products (at least in terms of added features) because of some sort of pressure from big streaming companies?

This is my guess...The big companies..Google Amazon..etc are squeezing Sonos for cash to allow them to stream their services...so for Sonos to stay relevant they pay licensing costs. I think Google would prefer that we bought their speakers instead...

Userlevel 3

This is total BS!  We need to unite and send a message to a company that thinks they can exploit our loyalty. We helped make this company with our money and free sales and marketing by convincing our friends, neighbors and countrymen to buy into the WIFI revolution of HiFi and home control.  I say we help erase the pain we all feel by seeing this once cutting edge upstart to feel the wrath of a lover scorn!  I say February is the boycott SONOS month!  And March is the class action lawsuit month. 

February, we spend the same effort convincing unaware victims from making the same mistakes we made and insure SONOS has little or no sales for at least 1 month. Inform all you know of the wrongs we have paid and the embarrassment of a 30% off from a once “cool” high tech future we lament. 

March is getting the underbelly of this nation to rise and put together a class action suit to hold accountable those who have sold is a pig in a poke.

what say you?  Are you in?  I’m fed up and going to spread the negativity wide and far, while I enlist any and all class action lawyers to make the glysophate problems Roundup has look like Girl Scout cookies.  

hell has no furry like a woman scorned!

We are all with you...this is a desperate last move of a company that is close to going bankrupt.  I read somewhere that one of the main execs sold 1/3 of their shares a few months ago....they know what's coming but it may be too late for all of us.  Perhaps someone like Amazon will buy them out?

According to my sources the original Connect and Play 5 had 32mb of memory, the connect:amp and play 1 have 64. The newer connect has 256mb as does the Gen 2 play 5.
The newest models have 1024mb (1 gig) so it is safe to say that the older models with 64 and 256mb are likely not long for this world. And when 1 gb is not enough, they will get tossed too. This will NEVER end and the cost of ownership it through the roof. 

Posted by another forum member (apologies I can’t locate that original post… it’s a swirling vortex of post activity the past 48 hrs.)

Oh how I now wish I’d purchased my Connects just 13 months later.

Userlevel 1

My entire house is set up with Sonos and I have been a longtime customer…. and supporter... until now.

Disappointing to have spent the THOUSANDS of dollars on a product only to be told in order to be a valued customer I need to spend more! 
The silver lining here is that I literally was going out to get the in-wall speakers and Sonos Amp this weekend to upgrade a theater room. Timely announcement Sonos! You just saved me another $1,400.00.

Userlevel 3

I like how Sonos deemed the previous thread regarding this subject as a “legacy” (a.k.a. obsolete). I think we’re beginning to see a pattern here. Sonos is a joke.

PREVIOUS THREAD | 1378 replies | 49886 views

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/end-of-software-updates-for-legacy-products-6835470 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

You think this thread will survive the morning?

Userlevel 1

I posted on the last thread my outrage. I built my system over the past 4 years and all my 5’s are browning toast. We are now in an age of constant software updates. We need to start leasing our equipment if they can’t last more than a decade at a minimum. Will this insulting 30% discount be available in two years if I can survive that long? One of the biggest corporate marketing blunders of a time. You had rabid loyal fans. EVERYONE IS ANGRY. We won’t get over this.  

Userlevel 1

Goodbye Sonos.  I’ll ride out my Legacy equipment till you kill it off and then sell the remaining gear on Craigslist. Time to find a new provider for a whole home system.  This will provide a great opening for another company to take over the market you pioneered.

Given how poorly this was handled, I really doubt you can repair the relationship.  It is plain to everyone that it’s possible to have old speakers still sync and play music, even if the new ones have to do the processing and get all the new features.  They manage to do it now.  

I do feel bad for recommending this company to so many friends and family… lesson learned (the hard way!)

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves! Grubby and greedy tactics, and the internet is saying NO! This has left a bad taste in everyones mouth and people will just simply trash your brand and stop buying the product. We influenced all our friends and family to buy Sonos, but not anymore. The word of mouth spreads like wildfire. I'm really disappointed as Sonos was such a great brand before you guys did this.

Userlevel 1

My entire house is set up with Sonos and I have been a longtime customer…. and supporter... until now.

Disappointing to have spent the THOUSANDS of dollars on a product only to be told in order to be a valued customer I need to spend more! 
The silver lining here is that I literally was going out to get the in-wall speakers and Sonos Amp this weekend to upgrade a theater room. Timely announcement Sonos! You just saved me another $1,400.00.

I am also a long-time customer and have a whole lot of Sonos equipment.  I understand that older hardware might lack capability for future features.  But Sonos dismissing my investment, neglecting security updates and pushing me into upgrades really undermines my trust in this company.  

Userlevel 1

I am a long time Sonos user and have spent thousands of dollars on your products. I am no longer going to spend a single penny on your products any more. 

I don’t even own these ”obsolete” products. I’m just worried now you’re going to do the same thing to the speakers I bought only 4 years ago. I can’t trust any speaker you sell today will become obsolete in a couple of years. I want my system to continue to receive updates and work with older speakers.

What a shame. I felt so much loyalty to Sonos

Same!!  I recommended Sonos to so many as well…. never again.  30% off is pathetic….  am guessing that this will be a common theme for all the other sonos products I own as well.  so disappointed with you Sonos.  :/

Dear Ryan, 

I would be very interested to see where and when Sonos published your above statement “Our commitment is to support products with regular software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting products far longer.” This means your products are actually consumables and not assets. I would have never purchased anything if I would have know. Sonos surely prices its products as assets!

With the current terrible communication going on, total lack of information and clarity on what exactly is going to work and what not, one can only conclude that this is an over-eager marketing ploy to push sales.  Absolutely shocking.

Regards from a past customer. 

Reinier   

A long supporter, now just disappointed. I also feel that I’ve misled friends by recommending Sonos. 30%? Insult to injury. Best wishes with your business