End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

So, what functionality exactly will I lose if I just hold onto my 1st Gen Play:5? I take the software updates but am really unclear as to what that does for me.

Please answer this. Perhaps I, and many others, will be less angry if we know the answer to that question.

@FrontRangeTraveller, after the last updates in May, you can continue to use legacy products (your Play:5 gen1) and your experience will initially remain the same. We don't expect any immediate impacts from ending software updates. However, functionality of features and services will be impacted as technology evolves, over time. If all you have is the Play:5 gen1, the biggest thing you’ll notice is that you won’t get any more updates. If you use music services or voice assistants, or any other connected service, over time those may have trouble if their software changes and the Play:5 can’t update.

Ryan, can I ask a very blunt question with hopefully a hint at answer.
I very curious as to which of the popular streaming services Sonos has had the most, what one might call synergistic and favorable working relationship with. Of course I refer to all the bigger and smaller names and am wondering if the largest giants of those entities (those I’ll not name who also have other product offerings across many markets) may not be among that short-list.
I ask to try and gauge which provider of streaming music now integrated with Sonos might be the best long-term choice for Sonos products relegated to legacy status, e.g. could conceivably work the longest based on the track record of working with Sonos in the past from a development standpoint. There is of course the recent legal proceedings that prompt this question in part as well, since it could be presumed some parties involved may not act so favorably in the future, and (it seems now) have not acted so favorably in the past (again from a development standpoint).
I’m still up for rooting for underdogs.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Assume everyone is emailing the CEO Using the link on Sonos site....

Userlevel 1

One further reason not to buy Sonos products again is asking the reason behind this cost saving move. 
1. they are in financial trouble and thus buying their products is risky as they may be out of business at any time. Or

1. they don’t care about their customers and thus it is risky to buy.

Anyway u look at it, u would have to be mad to further commit to this ecosystem. 

Well done SONOS. This a completely ludicrous stance for you to take. SONOS you are being very greedy, Do you think that you have done right by your many loyal customers? I do not think so.  Like many others, I too have spent thousands of pounds getting my SONOS system.  You say I have two legacy products, yet I do not see a replacement for one of them, really?  30% discount you are having a laugh. Most people work hard for their money to facilitate the purchase of your luxury items.

The bottom of the SONOS second hand market is going fall and kiss its backside goodbye.  ha ha ha your share price fell today, see how your announcement has bitten you in the rear end.

I certainly will not be investing one more penny with SONOS, until you rethink and announce that I will still be able to receive updates to my current items whilst still being connected to my legacy items.

So as a matter of interest, when will my soundbar become legacy, I have had that longer than my connect amp?  

From one of your extremely unhappy loyal customers.

This gives, at the very least, a bit of pause to my anger… and redirects a fair portion of it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/technology/sonos-sues-google.html

Userlevel 2
Badge

Those trust pilot reviews are sure getting worse

Even more 1 star reviews

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.sonos.com

lol. This whole thing is absurd. I expected my audio equipment to last for a very long time. I was not aware of the 5 year obsolescence policy when I bought them. Such a  SCAM.

Sonos you deserve whats coming.

...I hear the faint sound of nails being hit into a coffin…..

Userlevel 1

Sonos. Why you close the treat and open a new one. Your clarification is still as bad  as the anoucement. Don't try to sugar-coate the stupitidy yiu are doing driven by money. 

Your trade programme sucks and why some will spend more money to be told the same in less than 5 years (as who knows what is your policy now  as we can't trust you.) 

Also we don't want  what you are proposing and it seam you are deaf to 81 pages of complaines. 

We want to use our existing investment and we are not interested on your alternatives. Revert back your decision and make it right 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

our efforts will ultimately be limited by the lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products.

I will continue to believe this is a convenient lie until you provide some hard evidence to the contrary.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

2 Connect Amps, 3 Connects and a Play 5 here.  Sonos knows their installed base of Zoneplayers and Play 5s.  I can’t believe their beancounters ran the numbers and concluded that any more than 10-15% are going to go for this Trade Up nonsense. 

With the 30% discount, the company will make a much smaller profit from only a small percentage of their install base. The rest of the base will no longer purchase newer boxes and will be evangelists for NOT buying Sonos.  Along with the awful PR hit they are taking right now - have you read TrustPilot today - it can’t bode well for the company.

Sonos,  please come up with some legacy bridge/adapter/module that will make it all work together. We can isolate our legacy products on a separate network, the modern boxes can continue to get updates and the module bridges between the two networks.

If you don’t, someone is going to make one for us.  You may as well put money into R&D to try and rescue your reputation. Plus you could sell it for your usual inflated prices and make some of it back.

Thanks. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Being part of this is like watching a Car accident, I want to look away but can’t because of all the gore.  Early adopter, lot’s of Sonos equipment, talked them up to others, even became a Shareholder.  Sold off all shares today in my anger.  I feel like this has turned into a dirty divorce and I’m fighting for custody of the kids (I know the pain, I’m on marriage #3, of course it’s not me 😉 ).  Wish I could forget this nightmare but my music is playing in the background on my soon to be obsolete Play 5’s.  

Userlevel 1

I’ve invested mutiple thousand $$ in So is hardware and now this.

i understand tech getting outdated.  But I bought speakers.  Expensive speakers.  And the software will outdate them.

there must be another way!!!

serious blow to my Sonos loyalty!!!

Userlevel 3
Badge

This is despicable. Planned obsolescence is a horrific thing. You are contributing to something that wastes people's time, money and contributes to the production and consumption cycles that are destroying our planet. I will not be a part of this and will be looking to return all my recently purchased Sonos components and advising all and anyone who has shown interest in the products to look elsewhere. 

Your whole platform is so inflexible and demands levels of complex authentication, internet connection stability, so on and so forth. You are failing so epically with this decision, and your decision to not SIMPLIFY your applications and connectivity requirements. 

How many people do you think purchase your premium products (advertised construction, quality, and price) with the expectation that they are a buy it for life items? The answer is MANY. Are you honestly that out of touch with hifi and audio enthusiasts? 

This will be the death of Sonos, mark my words. Anyone who has worked in big tech procurement and contract management will see the signs here. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

This gives, at the very least, a bit of pause to my anger… and redirects a fair portion of it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/technology/sonos-sues-google.html

ooft, having read that, whether SONOS are in the right or wrong NOW is not the time to be losing or causing disgruntled customers.  Surely they need to keep the loyal base they have built up!..
OWN and GOAL seem two appropriate words...

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Even more 1 star reviews

lol. This whole thing is absurd. I expected my audio equipment to last for a very long time. I was not aware of the 5 year obsolescence policy when I bought them. Such a  SCAM.

I now believe they are fluffing themselves up for a purchase by... (Google, Amazon, Apple, X competitors, or fill in your own guess).  Principles and board will get their golden parachutes, and their customers/resellers/advocates/support teams are screwed.  Convince us we’re wrong.  

Userlevel 2

I am very confused. I bought my 6 play 5's. I didn't rent them or lease them. I own them and you are telling me that the use of my property is being taken away by SONOS. This is like stealing. Obsolescence  was never a consideration nor should it be. I have audio equipment that  is far older than these and that still performs great. My expectation was that i was buying the best and that the premium i paid would insure they would work and that the company i trusted would nevet do anything to make them worthless while they were still operating well. Shame on you. I EXPECT THIS IS FAR FROM OVER. You owe it to your users to find a fix.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

our efforts will ultimately be limited by the lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products.

I will continue to believe this is a convenient lie until you provide some hard evidence to the contrary.

Totally agree.

The functionality hasn’t changed for us the end users. Streaming music, just like they always have. 

I can understand iPhones etc getting ever more memory and cpu greedy, as new apps are developed, higher pixel camera, more storage etc etc.

Sonos kit is doing far less than that, so why it should need ever expanding memory and cpu is beyond me.

Some people have mentioned that it’s effectively a computer inside, if so, let us fit more memory and a better cpu if they really are needed!

Userlevel 3
Badge

All my kit is now considered legacy. Play 5s + connects.

Hopefully it will keep chugging away after May.

Part of the reason for not upgrading to newer kit is the price hike Sonos kit took several years ago and because my existing stuff worked. If all became incredibly expensive when AV kit in general has never been better value.

£400 for the new Port is ‘taking the Michael’ for what it does. You could buy a fairly decent AV receiver for your home cinema for around that price with built in Airplay 2 or Chromecast audio on top of all the other things it does and therefore would get a lot more use on a daily basis. Even Sky Tv  has airplay 2 built in or you can stick a cheap Chromecast or an Amazon Firestick into the back of an Av receiver or TV to stream stuff.

The Sonos Playbar is ancient now and even the Play 5 ver 2 are getting a bit long in the tooth. Priced at £699 and £499 respectively they are not exactly cheap and could be for the chop next. The same goes for the first gen Play 1 and Play 3. Surely can only be a matter of time before these become legacy products.

Fortunately I’ve got the space for a decent home cinema setup - a Denon AV receiver and, Bowers and Wilkins speakers (which no one is going to switch off soon), so Sonos sound bars don’t really interest me.

If you want Alexa or Google Home on a device, you really on need to spend around £25 for one of their basic ‘pucks’. Trying to get Alexa to play music on a Sonos player has always been a bit hit and miss so you might as well use the app. 

Although I do listen to music, it tends to be earlier stuff rather than what is produced nowadays so has my general desire to stream music has declined overall.

i don’t know if I am typical but haven’t seen the need to upgrade or buy Sonos kit in years. In some respects there are easier ways of doing stuff if just listening on one device. As I’ve got older my taste in music has changed so the desire to stream tracks has declined. There are also better value AV alternatives.

You have to wonder how much trouble Sonos are in if people aren’t upgrading and partly because  there are so many cheaper alternatives on the market now which do the job just as well. How much is this decision really down to technology or just an attempt to stimulate sales

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

if the graphic is correct then why would anyone replace a Play 5 gen 1 with a gen 2? You are looking at a paltry few years with the gen2. Obviously we all know what will go legacy next, but just look at the memory expansion on the one, Beam, etc, we are all doomed, and sadly so is Sonos. I saw this on the cards last year when they dropped the iPad dock and Ryan said we will keep the players going only just last year, effing shame. I think if macfarlane was still there he would have created an add-on to continue said products, Patrick Spence is ex-Blackburry, what happened to them lol

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Even more 1 star reviews

I now believe they are fluffing themselves up for a purchase by... (Google, Amazon, Apple, X competitors, or fill in your own guess).  Principles and board will get their golden parachutes, and their customers/resellers/advocates/support teams are screwed.  Convince us we’re wrong.  

The direction this product is going stinks of Apple. Been thinking this for a few months.

I wouldn't be surprised if they re-branded sooner or later.

Userlevel 1

As one of the many consumers who invested and enjoyed the SONOS wireless speaker technology the recent announcement to EOL some of the hardware is not good news for me.

I understand the need to maintain a high level of customer audio experience with an evolving product line but there has to be a better way than alienating the original investors in your product.

The buzz kill that this incident has created will be very very difficult to recover from. If news stories on BBC or other outlets don’t damage your reputation the “word of mouth” most certainly will. 

SONOS was far from a perfect system but this incident has opened the field of competition to a whole host of alternative wireless speaker companies. Even Apple earpods are looking like a possibility now, since APPLE has learned how to perform software updates that won’t force you to buy a new device.

So, you lose about 20% of your Sonos investment per year and at the end of year 5 you have a worthless pile of environmentally expensive plastic and electronics. I have $5,000 invested in Sonos products, some of which will be legacy products in May 2020. I can only suppose the rest of my investment will be worthless soon since I was an early investor. I can’t even sell the units that aren’t currently on the legacy list given they will likely be worthless soon (whenever Sonos decides the time is right, I guess). This business model totally changes my opinion of Sonos; I certainly won’t recommend them to friends anymore. 

Userlevel 1

I spent thousands on Connect:Amp’s purchased from Sonos in April 2019.  That’s less than 10 months.  Now I’m hearing that these are no longer supported and I need to spend thousands more to “trade up”?  Do I understand that right?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Ryan S wrote:

As another member stated, I will continue to believe this is a convenient lie until you provide some hard evidence to the contrary.

What is this really? We are talking about music playing through speakers. Your whole software architechture and direction is overly complex, not user friendly, and now clearly designed in a lazy, stupid or malicious way that enables planned obsolescence. 

There are so many clever people out there at so many innovative compoanies that create products designed to last a lifetime. It all comes down to simplicity and compatibility. Clearly this is not something you have considered as a design principle looking at your systems. 

It’s NOT OK to create premium products that should last a lifetime if cared for (audio products especially) that we should be able to pass onto our children, and have to throw them away and generate waste and perpetuate unstiansbale cyles of produciton and consumption. 

Why dont you just redesign your software, the components in the speakers are fine. They will be fine indefintiely if you design your software right. Your products dont “just work”. You make a mockery of your companys mission and vision. Anyone in a regional area with average internet connection will attest to the fact that you have hidden layers of authenticaion processes and such that hinder system setup, connectivity and clearly have some redicilous need for high powered internal speaker computing power. 

You need to learn how to do more with less. Simplicity. Basic principles. Streaming music is what people want. Innovate and create a better world.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sonos deleted my thread that discussed this announcement and their overall software direction and unnecessary complexity. 

I outlined why this is happening and why it doesn’t need to happen. That really helped reassure me that I’m making the right decision getting rid of Sonos for good and advising all others to do the same. 

I’ll take my $4500 AUD back thank you. 

I wonder if there are Vegas odds on how many days it will take for the CEO of Sonos to be fired and the successor to announce a roll-back this insane policy? We were all such loyal fans and customers, at least until yesterday. Additionally Sonos never really had much competition -- until now! Apple Bose, and about 10 others are hot on their tail. “The main competitive standards to Sonos are Bose Music, DTS Play-Fi, built-in Google Chromecast, Yamaha MusicCast and Denon HEOS. Amazon's Echos also support the Amazon MRM system.”