End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

We announced yesterday that some of our oldest Sonos products will be moving into a legacy mode in May of 2020. Our commitment is to support products with regular software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting products far longer. 

Here is some public information we’ve shared, gathered into one place to respond to some of your questions in one easy thread, so that people can find the correct information easily.

Beginning in May, software updates and new features from Sonos will only be delivered to systems with only modern products.

After May, systems that include legacy products will continue to work as before - but they will no longer receive software updates or new features. 

Sonos will work to maintain the existing experience and conduct bug fixes, but our efforts will ultimately be limited by the lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products.

We don’t expect any immediate impact to your experience, but access to services and overall functionality will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their own services and features. 

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

You will also be able to separate your legacy products from your modern products, so that the modern products can still receive updates and new features, and legacy products can still be used separately. We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

Another option available to all customers with legacy products is to take advantage of the Trade Up program, which allows you to upgrade older Sonos products to modern ones with a 30% discount. Trade Up will be open to customers at any time should they decide to upgrade. 

We recognize this is new for Sonos owners, just as it is for Sonos. We are committed to help you by making options available to you to support the best decision for your home.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate with asking.

Hi. I have spent a lot of money building my Sonos system. Saving months to buy Play 1’s at first and then a couple of Play 5’s and a sub. So proud of the system and have recommended to many friends. 
I simply don’t have £700 to replace my Play 5’s. I can’t afford to ditch and replace with a competitors system. This is quite honestly a disgusting way to treat customers. How can you treat loyal customers like this? It makes no commercial or more importantly ethical sense.

Please think again about this decision. Don’t upgrade the software in May, it’s perfect as it is!!

Userlevel 2

As much as I'm disappointed about this announcement, can you SONOS not develop a device to keep your loyal customers onboard that have worked / saved /advised others. To buy your products, yes it's an additional cost but at least the customer that Love Sonos can keep their older devices in (sync)... 

I know Blue Sound do ..

With the RT100 you can pair (ANY)subwoofer with the PULSE SOUNDBAR and allow the soundbar to focus on the mid and high-range dynamics of your favorite movie and music soundtracks.

Why Inflict this implementation upon beloved customer's.

Userlevel 1

Shame on you

Shame on you, Sonos, and an insult to all of us, loyal "early adopters" who provided all the millions of $$$ for you to develop your company and create your brand for the past 15 years or so.

And now, you're telling all of us to go to hell ???

When I replace my phone/PC/watch/blender/fridge/car or any other thing I own, it is ME and only ME who decides that the old unit is TOO OLD, or too slow or whatever
ME, not Bosch, not Motorola not Makita. ME.
It's My $$$, My equipment and My decision when to move on.

I still drive my 25 year old BMW RT1100 for pleasure. I don't care if it's slower or less comfortable. It’s beautiful and it passes inspection in flying colors every year, and the engine sounds like new with 60k miles on it. Still original paint, even original cable ties. It’s as good as it was 25 years ago.

And when I visit a BMW service they treat me with respect. They know where their salaries come from. Do you?

What you've done is ridiculous, offensive and blatant.

Shame! Shame! Shame!

And instead of giving my next grand to you, Sonos, I’ll be happy to transfer it to Marantz and the next 500 to DALI.

How many more will follow? You do the math.

Employees of Sonos, I’m so sorry for all of you: here’s the reality check: Say good-bye to quarterly bonuses, update your CV, start looking for a new job.

Those millions of dollars are gonna be going elsewhere from this year on.

Inevitable demise.

Shame

Userlevel 1
Badge

We announced yesterday that some of our oldest Sonos products will be moving into a legacy mode in May of 2020. Our commitment is to support products with regular software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting products far longer. 

Here is some public information we’ve shared, gathered into one place to respond to some of your questions in one easy thread, so that people can find the correct information easily.

Beginning in May, software updates and new features from Sonos will only be delivered to systems with only modern products.

After May, systems that include legacy products will continue to work as before - but they will no longer receive software updates or new features. 

Sonos will work to maintain the existing experience and conduct bug fixes, but our efforts will ultimately be limited by the lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products.

We don’t expect any immediate impact to your experience, but access to services and overall functionality will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their own services and features. 

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

You will also be able to separate your legacy products from your modern products, so that the modern products can still receive updates and new features, and legacy products can still be used separately. We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

Another option available to all customers with legacy products is to take advantage of the Trade Up program, which allows you to upgrade older Sonos products to modern ones with a 30% discount. Trade Up will be open to customers at any time should they decide to upgrade. 

We recognize this is new for Sonos owners, just as it is for Sonos. We are committed to help you by making options available to you to support the best decision for your home.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate with asking.

Just picking this news up on the BBC. Shame on you. I won’t touch your brand again with a barge pole. You are finished. 

Typical American marketting con! 

Might as well throw some xenophobia into the mix.

Following the email regarding recycling, I went onto my account and my SONOS controllers were all up for recycling.

Given I was unsure how recycling worked I clicked on all 4 controllers and hit the recycle button expecting to see more info around next steps.

To my surprise this kicked off the recycle process immediately and enabled the discount. The website T&C’s clearly stat this must be confirmed in the app first, which of course I have not done, as I don’t want the controllers to stop working as my children use them given they are too young to have phones. If I lose the controllers they will not be able to use the products.

I have not requested a shipping label, so assume this will go no further, but can someone please confirm my 4 SONOS controllers will not get disconnected in 21 days, particularly given I have not confirmed in the app as stated in your T&C, and not requested a shipping label.

I have purchased many SONOS products over the years so your support to stop any untoward deactivation is much appreciated.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I have two devices which are listed as trade-up eligible (ZP80 and ZP100). I have no idea what options are available in Australia as the information is hidden until I commit to recycling them. Actually I can’t do that with the ZP100 as the recycle checkbox is disabled for unexplained reasons.

The trade-up process commits me to recycling the device with 21 days before it stops working. It does not let me view the recycling and trade up options before making this commitment. 

Sonos is basically asking me to trash working devices without giving me any security.

Userlevel 2

I am utterly perplexed by this decision from Sonos.

I bought a pre owned connect amp last year, wanting to dip my toe into the multi room home audio arena. I liked it, even bought two new play:1’s to add to the system I was so impressed.
I then discovered the iPod dock and bought one from eBay, the less said about this the better, flabbergasted, but lesson learned I thought, until yesterday. I’m not as invested as 99% of the people commenting in this and, the now closed thread (nice one Ryan). But as a paying customer I would like to know when my play:1’s are likely to be made ‘legacy’? Someone must know?! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

More useful and a better shelf life than my Play 5 Gen 1…...

Is that a Play 1?

It is a Play:Dead

Userlevel 2

If Sonos legacy devices cannot keep up with complex software and streaming service API requirements, why not remove that requirement from the speaker itself? Can they not build a bridge (or controller) that integrates with the app and streaming services, and then streams the music to the speakers using existing streaming methods? It seems like this is a simple solution- remove the hefty processing requirements from the speaker, and move them to a different (more capable) device.

This seems more and more like a money grab than a true technical problem.

I have 5 Sonos speakers, and have convinced several of my friends to invest in the Sonos speaker ecosystem. I now have to apologize to them for giving them bad advice.

• Josh
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Now Reuters reports. The NY Times has re-reported. 

“ Sonos customers up in arms over move to stop updates for older speakers”

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

The new Sonos policy of ceasing support for older devices is unacceptable, unless upgrade terms are made much more generous.  And it is probably ultimately damaging to Sonos.  Why should we spend more money for expensive audio equipment that may become worthless in a few years?

I don’t know what to say other than if my play:1s suddenly get abandoned I’m going to be a very dissapointed person and will look elsewhere in the future. 

Userlevel 3

Hi Ryan @ Sonos,
I'm reposting my comments (below) from the thread you closed down.  Wow, what happened to you guys over there at Sonos?  You need to hire a PR firm quickly to help fix (doubtful) and guide you on how to maintain customer loyalty, because you're currently in major "fail" mode.  Sadly...I don't think you're going to be able to recover from this extremely poor business decision. 

On another note, my Brother has been in the A/V Installation and Consulting business world for 25+yrs.  What about those loyal companies that have recommended Sonos products to 'their' Clients?  I can only imagine the poop storm they're going to have to go through when their Clients contact them asking why they'd recommend a product that is now deemed obsolete, when technically it's not the Installers fault.  Sonos is squarely to blame.  Seriously, you all at Sonos have become an extreme disappointment on so many levels.  Total FAIL.  

Also, I just read an article on ZDnet.com - https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-is-sonos-dropping-support-older-speakers-and-does-the-reason-hold-up/ - that stated the following:

Tech outlet The Register did some digging through Sonos's Q4 2019 10-K financial filings and discovered that the company had both been planning for the obsolescence of its products and the associated backlash from customers.

"We expect that in the near term, this backward compatibility will no longer be practical or cost-effective, and we may decrease or discontinue service for our older products," the filing explains. "If we no longer provide extensive backward capability for our products, we may damage our relationship with our existing customers, as well as our reputation, brand loyalty, and ability to attract new customers."

The above quote just goes to show how Sonos truly doesn't care about their loyal Customers.  So, so sad.  Sonos is a joke and you should all be ashamed.  

Oh... I almost forgot, here's my comment from the previous thread.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/end-of-software-updates-for-legacy-products-6835470/index31.html#post16393467  

:rage:   I will add my 2 cents to this thread as well.  I too am extremely disappointed by this news.  As many have mentioned, I was an early adopter as well to the Sonos ecosystem.  I have recommended Sonos to numerous friends and family that have also gone “all in” and purchased many Sonos products.  I’ve practically been a extension of the Sonos Sales Team through the years because I truly love everything about Sonos.  We’ll that is until today. 
They need to come up with a better solution for those that have legacy products.  Sonos forcing the hand of loyal Customers is ridiculous.  Sonos is becoming the Microsoft and Apple version of the Audio world.  What a joke.  It’s taken many years to build my Sonos system and I love everything about it.  Please Sonos, be loyal to your Customers as we have been to you.  If not, you’ll regret it.

Ryan, how accurate is the information about the legacy products still working after May?  When Sonos stopped support on the Dock all four of mine bricked and I’m just money out the window.  I have 6 Play 5 speakers on your list and they weren’t exactly inexpensive speakers when I bought them.

Mike L.

Userlevel 2

Dear Sonos,

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I could spend the money to replace the legacy products with new ones, but I won't. You will NOT get another dime from me because you don't deserve it.

I hope your stocks tank and you end up in bankruptcy, because THAT is what you deserve since making your announcement. 

Userlevel 1

Sonos,

I am struggling to understand the logic here. As you have seen by the response from your loyal customers, everyone is extremely unhappy. Whilst I understand the support of “old hw” is expensive as many have stated, audio equipment should last 30 years. My thoughts are clear on what you need to consider. Each speaker is just that, a speaker. They are wifi enabled and allows you to stream music or connect to an amp/bridge. Rather than manage these as individual devices, Sonos should create the Sonos Hub or Sonos Satellite. This means this connects to the internet takes the FW, streams music to it and then the speakers connect to that device. Then, this means any legacy device can connect as it doesn’t need to. Connect to a controller. To future proof users upgrade that hub as a single device and not the whole setup as you’re proposing. This to me makes more sense and much more palatable.

thanks

Tim

Userlevel 1

Disgraceful behaviour Sonos.

I've been a huge fan and advocate of Sonos since owning my first units in 2015.  I've added to my system over the years and generally been really pleased with every purchase.

Today's announcement, whilst not affecting any of my units right now has made me nervous about purchasing any further Sonos products in the future.

Been researching other alternatives to Sonos and am seriously considering eBaying my products and moving elsewhere before they become obsolete (I prefer to use the correct word, rather than Legacy as that is nothing more than marketing speak).

It seems the company is hellbent on creating negative news right now. It's not helping the brand or giving consumers confidence to invest in what are expensive items 

Userlevel 3

If Sonos legacy devices cannot keep up with complex software and streaming service API requirements, why not remove that requirement from the speaker itself? Can they not build a bridge (or controller) that integrates with the app and streaming services, and then streams the music to the speakers using existing streaming methods? It seems like this is a simple solution- remove the hefty processing requirements from the speaker, and move them to a different (more capable) device.

​​​​​

This. If legacy speakers don’t have the processing power for all your fancy bloat, take the processing OFF the speakers and provide an additional bit of hardware that does the processing that can communicate with the speakers. I just want speakers to be speakers. I suggested this as a workaround to the 65,000 limit when it hit me in the face. Sort of like a “Sonos Server” with oomph and processing power that can stream output to the speakers. However, instead of Sonos providing a solution, i ended up using Plex Server for that workaround.

That would solve all our issues? Provide the fancy new features - but keep the legacy speakers doing their job - as speakers. 

Userlevel 2

Sonos,

Don't go down the rabbit 🐰 Hole of a throw away society!

All I'm saying!!! 

I’m glad the bbc have picked up on this story. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51206604

Both myself and my family have each invested £1,000s in Sonos products only to now find out they have a short shelf life! This is not on. Sonos, you really need to rethink this ASAP or you could risk alienating your customers and almost destroying your brand overnight. Plus, the trade up offer of 30% is completely inadequate, especially if you expect customers to by spend even more on products which will eventually suffer the same fate. If you are making products obsolete you need to offer those customers a very good trade-up package (more like 80% discount) to stay tied to Sonos. After all, it’s not the loyal customers fault. Really frustrated. If your customers mean anything you will know what to do. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Ryan, how accurate is the information about the legacy products still working after May?  When Sonos stopped support on the Dock all four of mine bricked and I’m just money out the window.  I have 6 Play 5 speakers on your list and they weren’t exactly inexpensive speakers when I bought them.

Hi @MayorMike, the information is accurate and there’s a pretty huge difference betwen what’s happening here and what happened with the Dock. The Dock was discontinued and disconnected from the system with no design for it to keep working. The legacy devices will keep on playing music and operating as they currently do before the update. They just won’t be getting new software updates and features. Because they won’t be getting regular updates, over time they will eventually stop being able to connect with certain services, but it’ll be a gradual decline over time. And some things are unlikely to stop working until the hardware starts to fail, such as the line-in on those Play:5s.

Userlevel 1

So, what functionality exactly will I lose if I just hold onto my 1st Gen Play:5? I take the software updates but am really unclear as to what that does for me.

Please answer this. Perhaps I, and many others, will be less angry if we know the answer to that question.

Userlevel 1

I have installed whole home audio using mainly connect:amps and connects. Imagine my thoughts when I read this announcement. I won't be "upgrading". I'll be looking for non Sonos alternatives. Sonos can do one for all I care. Greedy company who won't be getting any more of my money.

Seriously considering getting the whole set up on eBay as soon as possible.

Wont be buying any more SONOS products.