Skip to main content

At present I have connected the Move to the Apple TV but cannot control the volume.

Therefore, I need to connect the Apple TV remote to the Sonos Move.

From other users, I understand I need to open the Sonos app, go to settings > system > select unit (Move) and then Remote Control Setup. However, I don’t see “Remote Control Setup” in the menu.

Is this a restriction of the Move, or is there another way to connect to the Apple TV remote?

The Move has no IR receiver built in to it to connect a remote to it, nor does it operate via HDMI ARC. Your Apple remote would need to be connected to your Apple TV, and would only command any volume associated with content being sent by the Apple TV, and would not function at all when using the Sonos streaming (non Apple TV) functions. 

Thanks @Airgetlam for your quick reply.

The scenario you describe is what I am trying to achieve.

I have selected the Sonos Move as a “temporary audio output” on the Apple TV and in the setup process, it appears you are able to adjust the volume of the speaker. Once I leave the setup process and want to watch TV, the remote loses it’s ability to adjust the volume through the Apple TV and I can only do this manually on the Sonos Move. Is this as far as I can go?

Yes, I believe so. The Apple remote doesn’t control AirPlay 2 output, to my memory, only HDMI ARC output from the Apple TV….but I’ve not tested that myself, so it’s possible I’m incorrect. In general, the Apple TV remote is not something that I would use to try to control the volume on my Sonos, I would either use my iPhone, or the buttons on the Sonos directly. The Sonos Move just isn’t designed for use with any remote, Apple or otherwise. 

Ok then a HomePod mini might be needed for the audio visual setup! Thanks for your help!