Question

Configuring Connect and Sonos with an Onkyo Receiver

Hi All,

I have just bought an Onkyo TX-NR626 7.2-Channel Network Audio/Video Receiver (Black) @ Amazon.com and I am planning to buy Sonos system to have it all configured in my apartment, but I am not sure If this would be possible.

Am I able to have my receiver playing all my devices and sound been handled by Sonos Connect and its different types of wireless speakers? If I have my Xbox One been used with my receiver, does the sound plays @ the speakers available within Sonos' network created?

Let me know how should I proceed.

Rgds

Marcelo

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Sonos Connect does not exists. Do you mean Spotify Connect? They are different products and not compatible each other. Camillo
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
First off Marcelo - are you planning on running wired speakers for the 7.2 (7 wired speakers and 2 subs).

How do you want Sonos then to add to that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm concerned you think you can use Sonos speakers to create the 7.2 from the receiver. 

You can input Sonos music into the receiver and you can have what the receiver is playing sent out to Sonos speakers in other rooms...but Sonos speakers can't replace the 7.2 surround the receiver creates.

Sonos for surround is only configurable as a Playbar, 2 surrounds, and Sonos Sub for 5.1 sound - and that is using Playbar as essentially the receiver not another stand alone receiver.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I think we need a bit of clarification on what you're trying to setup here. What sorts of audio would you like to be playing where? 

The CONNECT can output the Sonos music sources to your existing system, the 7.2 Onkyo. This will include your music library stored on network locations, streaming tracks from music services, or playing Internet radio. The CONNECT has analog, coaxial and optical outputs which can be fed into the line in on your receiver. When it's set to play the Sonos input, you'll be hearing what the CONNECT has been told to play.

If you have other Sonos speakers around the house, you can group the CONNECT with those speakers, so they can play the same thing, or leave them separate and have different music playing in your home. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
And as far as audio sources from the other inputs on your Onkyo receiver... don't expect this to be possible. Most receivers won't take the audio from an HDMI source - like the XBox One for example - and send it to any of the receiver's outputs. So unfortunately you won't be able to do that.

Now, you COULD hook up ONE device that has its own analog outputs - like a cable or satellite box - to the Sonos Connect. That would let you get your TV audio into Sonos, so it could be played in other rooms. 
First off Marcelo - are you planning on running wired speakers for the 7.2 (7 wired speakers and 2 subs).

How do you want Sonos then to add to that?

Hi Chris,
I am not planning to wire any of the speakers.
The idea is to have sonos speakers working with this recently bought receiver...I was introduced to Sonos after I bought the Onkyo device.

The setup should be the following:

Onkyo 7.2 receiver connected to a Sony smart TV through HDMI cable.
Apple TV connceted to receiver using HDMI cable
same above for Xbox One
same above for CATV device
same above for Blu ray DVD player

I would like the Sonos speakers to play the sound coming out of the device when I am playing Xbox for instance.

Is it possible?
I think we need a bit of clarification on what you're trying to setup here. What sorts of audio would you like to be playing where? 

The CONNECT can output the Sonos music sources to your existing system, the 7.2 Onkyo. This will include your music library stored on network locations, streaming tracks from music services, or playing Internet radio. The CONNECT has analog, coaxial and optical outputs which can be fed into the line in on your receiver. When it's set to play the Sonos input, you'll be hearing what the CONNECT has been told to play.

If you have other Sonos speakers around the house, you can group the CONNECT with those speakers, so they can play the same thing, or leave them separate and have different music playing in your home. 

The idea is to have sonos speakers working with this recently bought receiver...I was introduced to Sonos after I bought the Onkyo device.

same above for Xbox One

I would like the Sonos speakers to play the sound coming out of the device when I am playing Xbox for instance.

Is it possible?
And as far as audio sources from the other inputs on your Onkyo receiver... don't expect this to be possible. Most receivers won't take the audio from an HDMI source - like the XBox One for example - and send it to any of the receiver's outputs. So unfortunately you won't be able to do that.

Now, you COULD hook up ONE device that has its own analog outputs - like a cable or satellite box - to the Sonos Connect. That would let you get your TV audio into Sonos, so it could be played in other rooms. 

same above for Xbox One

Is it possible?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You can't feed Sonos speakers in a surround sound configuration from the receiver. The receiver will only do surround sound via wired speakers. It's only possible to feed Sonos speakers stereo sound from the receiver.

Got it! I did not want to have surround sound anyway. Just need to confirm If sound from TV will be available on sonos speakers while using any of my outputs.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

An expensive solution for stereo sound. #justsaying

What would you do then?
take into consideradtion that I do not know s*** about sound configuration and that I would like to have sonos anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you want a Sonos surround system you need a Sonos playbar in place of the receiver. Then you can use Sonos sub and play1/3 for rear. Hook appletv Xbox cable and blue ray all to TV. Then optical out from TV to playbar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Im not sure even if don't want surround what purpose the Inkyo receiver serves since your TV should accept all the connections.

Can I have Sonos speakers playing stereo from what is playing on receiver?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yes. With a connect hooked to the receiver. Also assuming he receiver will output digital content to analog ports which i would have to look at like mikeV said
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

In nearly every case i've come across, no, it's not possible. Most receivers that have HDMI inputs don't take the audio from those HDMI inputs and send them to any outputs other than the speakers connected to the receiver.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

In my case I have run analog connection to receiver in addition to hdmi. Should be possible with all except appletv
Hey All

Sound guy, but noob for home audio (especially Sonos) reporting in!

Sorry for updating this old thread. Looking into a similar receiver as Marcelo.

Not really interested surround, but the wifi/USB ability and of course to set up a turntable. Would like to have a couple Sonos satellites for downstairs for parties and outside that would be playing through this receiver which will also have a couple of wired speakers for the living room.

What would I need to make this work? I'm assuming if I can hook up one Sonos speaker, the rest will be easy, right?