Skip to main content

When the Roam launched there was an issue where, because the way BT Smart Hub worked, it would not join the network. This was due to ‘decision making’ with regard to the 2.4 & 5ghz channels. Allegedly this was resolved. Not so.
I’ve continued to have the Roam missing or unable to join Airplay 2, or join & disappear shortly afterwards. I have a Beam which is fine. I’ve spoken to BT help and Sonos technical who knows how many times. They are both still advising to split & rename the two networks. Same solution as 18 months ago. Which a) is an appalling fix & b) won’t work for me because my devices are mixed & need the option of choosing consistent or fast speed I.e Apple TV.
I’ve experimented with the Modes & channel banding but this destabilises other speakers & devices. Quite frankly I shouldn’t have to do this. 
This really isn’t good. OK BT might be partially at fault, but they have issued upgrades designed to mitigate the issue but surely if other Sonos devices are able to cope why can’t the Roam?

For such an expensive portable speaker it really isn’t acceptable. And don’t get me started on it’s lack of compatible functionality with other Sonos speakers….

It sounds very much like a BT router issue. Some (not all) of their Smart-hubs have (allegedly) been problematic with SSDP Multicast discovery across their WiFi bands and the wired network, but why you can’t split your network WiFi into 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands does not make sense, to me at least - if your network device supports the 5Ghz band you would always want it to run on that faster WiFi in my view and if a device has any difficulties and needs more penetrating WiFi, then you would put it onto the 2.4Ghz band - so I would persevere with that approach, or perhaps change your router and put the BT router into Bridge-Mode instead.

It sounds very much like a BT router issue. Some (not all) of their Smart-hubs have (allegedly) been problematic with SSDP Multicast discovery across their WiFi bands and the wired network, but why you can’t split your network WiFi into 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands does not make sense, to me at least - if your network device supports the 5Ghz band you would always want it to run on that faster WiFi in my view and if a device has any difficulties and needs more penetrating WiFi, then you would put it onto the 2.4Ghz band - so I would persevere with that approach, or perhaps change your router and put the BT router into Bridge-Mode instead.

I think the main problem is the Roam prefers the 2.4ghz. I’ve read so much on here that suggests it. Even Sonos customer service basically said that. I have three BT extender discs and there are no dead spots. You’re aware of the issues Roam had with BT on release..? I have Apple (inc ATVs) & B&W speakers that work perfectly. I stated clearly why I don’t want to split the network, and why should I have to? I have already spent hours talking to customer service departments & fiddling about with it & the router. So why should I have to buy a new router to make a poorly thought through overpriced portable speaker work?  

The BT Router thread (10+ pages) here perhaps might have some useful things for you to consider - it’s one of many threads, but it does mention some helpful things. HTH

The BT Router thread (10+ pages) here perhaps might have some useful things for you to consider - it’s one of many threads, but it does mention some helpful things. HTH

Thanks but I’m familiar with BT router issues and in this case I’m (and so are the Sonos Team) definitely sure it’s the Roam’s functionality & design limitations that’s the problem.

Thanks but I’m familiar with BT router issues and in this case I’m (and so are the Sonos Team) definitely sure it’s the Roam’s functionality & design limitations that’s the problem.

"The Sonos Staff are sure it’s the Roam’s functionality and design limitations …”

Well that really surprises me that the Staff are saying that? - I have always believed the issue was with the BT smart-hub router and its SSDP multicast packets having difficulties transversing the LAN segments?

The Roams are each working/connecting okay for myself and other family members, but our family have different routers in their homes, VirginMedia, Plume, Netgear, TalkTalk etc. I can’t comment as I’ve no experience with the BT routers other than seeing the issues that were mentioned by others here in the community …and you may have noted that placing all products/controllers onto one segment, like the 2.4Ghz band (just as an example) has always appeared to resolve the situation for those taking part in many of the discussions dotted about the forum.