Skip to main content
Hi all, I recently moved and decided to replace my Play:5 gen 1 with a surround system so I got the Playbar, a pair of Play:1's and a Sub. A few weeks ago I unpacked my Play:5 and found it was dead, it has been replaced under warranty so I now have a gen 2 but I wondered if there is any benefit of using this in my home?

The only reason I can think of is Airplay 2 which I'd like as I have Apple mobile devices, but reading up it sounds like the only way to have Airplay 2 work with my surround setup is if I group them with my Play:5. Does this mean that if I wish to stream Airplay 2 to my surround the Play:5 must also be playing the same audio? My space isn't large enough to warrant this and it seems a waste to have such a good speaker used purely as a way to stream from my phone to the surround.

I know the Beam would accomplish what I want but I much prefer the size/design of the Playbar, the Beam would look too small under my TV and going by pricing I'd hope the audio is better on the bar. I opted for Play:1 over One as I already have Echos and read the microphone was better on the Amazon devices.

Any input much appreciated, just want to make sure I don't get rid of the Play:5 if it could benefit my setup at all. The other rooms in my house are too small for it to be worthwhile.

Many thanks
Hi AKUK

Unfortunately the only way to get Airplay 2 to your current HT setup is via the Play 5. However, you can adjust the volume of the HT setup and the Play 5 separately (i.e. turn the level down on the Play 5).

Another alternative is to exchange the Play 1's for Sonos One's (if still in the return window). Not only will you get Airplay 2 capability without using the Play 5; but also Alexa voice assistant. Remember to set your surrounds in the Sonos app to FULL for music playback. It's set it once and forget it! 🆒

Cheers!
Thanks Aj, looks like I might sell the Play:5 whilst it is boxed and at some point in the future may buy a pair of One's and replace my Play:1's with them as I am unfortunately outside of my 100 day window.