Beam + 2 Fives

• 19 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Hi folks,

I’m thinking about buying a Beam with a pair of Fives as surrounds. For TV, this should work wonderfully. For music, seems I have two options — (1) pairing the Fives as a stereo pair which would sadly take a lot of effort switching back and forth between the Beam system (for TV) and stereo Fives (for music) and (2) keeping the Fives as surrounds but setting them to “Full” surrounds (rather than “Ambience”) for music. I’m inclined to go with the latter approach which should allow me to switch between TV and music without too much effort. Any of you has any experience with this set-up? Wondering if it would sound funny (for example, the more powerful Fives in the back).

Thanks in advance!

8 replies

Not exactly the same setup, but quite similar… I have the Sonos ‘Arc’ rather than a Beam (gen2) with ‘Fives’ as surrounds and it sounds great when set to ‘full’ mode for stereo music or Atmos audio output (which ignores the ‘full’ setting)  - The one other thing I would personally highly recommend that you consider however, is to also add the Sonos Sub to the setup.

The Sonos Sub makes a huge difference to both the TV surround sound and Music audio - it’s not perfect in terms of where one normally expects the sound stage (out in front of the listener), but it’s still an extremely good overall listening experience. The Atmos movie and music audio is a very immersive and enjoyable experience.  

Hi.  There is no need for any effort in switching.  The ‘Full’ setting applies only to music and so you just leave it on that.  It is ignored for the TV source.

A view that is often expressed on here (and with which I concur) is that Sonos Ones are sufficient for surrounds with a Beam.  Also, it does IMO compromise the music experience compared with a stereo pair of Fives.  Although it would add to the cost, I would suggest getting One SLs for surrounds, and using a pair of Fives positioned either side of the TV but used purely for music.  Personally, given that it would enhance your viewing and listening experience considerably over many years, I think it is worth the extra cost compared with either of the options you propose.

If you wanted to add a Sub that would complicate the picture, but I think you could add this to the Beam set up, as the Bass on the Fives is already very good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I have the older Playbase with Sub and Ones for surround duty. Your other option is to have One or One SL for surrounds, leaving money in the budget for the Sub. 

Are we helping you decide? 😜

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d go with One SLs for surrounds and add a Sub as your initial system.

If you are dissatisfied with the stereo imaging from the Beam adding a pair of Fives as an independent room and properly placing them for your listening position will be an improvement.

If you do both fool with moving the Sub between the Beam and the Fives. You may like one or the other more, or may end up buying a second Sub so you have both.

Some folks seem happy with Ones and a Sub, something else you could play with before investing in the Fives.

Thanks a lot, guys.

(...)A view that is often expressed on here (and with which I concur) is that Sonos Ones are sufficient for surrounds with a Beam.  Also, it does IMO compromise the music experience compared with a stereo pair of Fives.  Although it would add to the cost, I would suggest getting One SLs for surrounds, and using a pair of Fives positioned either side of the TV but used purely for music.  (...)

Hello, not sure to understand.

I'm thinking to buy a Sonos beam 2 in addition to my pair of Five to enjoy better sound during films, and hoping it would also add to my music listening experience.

Why would I buy 2 extra One SLs for surrounds if I already have 2 Five?

Is it not possible to get the best of the beam gen 2 and the pair of Five TOGETHER, both for films AND music?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The Fives are Sonos’ premium product and are great for music play. Conventionally, they’d be positioned in front of the listening position rather than at the rear of the room. So, the suggestion to get the most from the quality of the Fives is to set them up as a “room” called Music, in that conventional position. One SL’s should prove adequate for surround effects when watching movies. But there’s no reason not to run with the Fives as surrounds. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The Fives will usually be under used as surrounds, in almost every case a One or now the 100 or 300 are more cost effective options.

If you do use the Fives as surrounds and don’t care about stereo imaging you can set the surrounds to Full rather than the default Ambient mode.