Question

adding speakers for more immersive sound?

• 31 July 2017
  • 5 replies

Hello, I currently have two stereo paired Play:3's on a screened in 3-season room (with roof).

We only listen to music in the space. The sound is great but I'd like to improve it even more.

I currently have the Play:3's installed in the upper corners of the room diagonal from each other. Not sure if this is the recommended way to have them installed, but it sounds great with the stereo paring.

I'm wondering if adding 2 more Play:3's in the other corners would result in noticeably fuller sound.

Or is there a different route? Perhaps put the 3's opposite each other on the same wall then add two Play:1's on the opposite wall corners for a sort of home theater style surround sound.

I'm willing to spend some money to optimize even though it may be overkill. 🙂 My goal is to optimally fill the room with sound.

The room size is 12'x20'. The height of the speakers is 8'6" off the ground. Again it's a screened in porch on 3 sides so the sound isolation is poor. But if 2 speakers sound this good I'm wondering what would sound great.

Thanks for any advice!
Dave

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Cool thanks. I'll try moving the 2 Play 3s opposite each other on the same wall vs diagonal. I'm interested enough in experimenting that I ordered 2 Play 1's to try on the opposite wall. Will report back if there is a noticeable difference to me with 4 speakers.
I'm not crazy about the having the speakers diagonally across from each other. Before you go buy more speakers, I'd at least try putting them all on one side and see what that does for you. I get the 'immersive sound' idea, but I think the brain prefers to think of sound coming from a particular direction, even if it's behind you. I think it needs an orientation.

However, if you do go with 4 speakers, I've read that it's best to go alternative L and R to get better sound. I did this with my outdoor speakers and was happy with the result. It was a much bigger/wider space then yours though. I honestly think you'll be good with 2 speakers on the same side.
I'm certainly deferring to Kumar, who is much more of an expert in this kind of thing than I am, but if you're not looking for "sweet spot" listening, wouldn't it be better to not have the speakers stereo paired? I'd be tempted to set them up as their own rooms, and group them together, so that anyone in any position of the room would get the full music experience, not just the left or right hand dominant one.
thanks @Kumar for the response.

For this room there is no single listening position. We have sofas and chairs in several locations and we move around a lot. So I'm really going for immersive overall sound.

I don't really have the option to lower the speakers to ear level. They fit well in the upper corners of the room and are unobtrusive there. I of course have them angled to where they point the sound down into the room.

I'm thinking I'll try 2 more Play:3's in the opposite corners and see if that gives me the sound I'm looking for.

For kicks I was thinking about adding 2 Play:5's, but it just seems like extreme overkill for a room this size with limited sound isolation.
Try to first move the speakers to a better location, at about ear level in a sitting position. Your listening position and the speakers should be three corners of a triangle of lengths with close to equal sides. After achieving that, do True play on the relocated speakers.

Then see what gaps in your listening experience you are looking to fill. Unless the target is well defined, every arrow loosed can be said to be on target.

For instance, do you want a better music listening experience in the stereo sweet spot, a relatively small part of the room?

Or do you want to have music in the entire room without it sounding too loud when close to the speakers?

Each requirement will have a different solution.

Also remember that room acoustics influence the sound quality a great deal, only some of which can be addressed by Trueplay. Most importantly, make sure the room isn't too bright as in reflective of a lot of the sound, with too many reflective surfaces. Carpets, curtains, books on shelves all help in this effort.

The open nature of the room may also mean that too much improvement isn't worth the spend.