Add a headphone line-out jack to the PLAY:1

• 3 December 2013
  • 51 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge
We've received a feature request for a headphone line-out jack to be added to the PLAY:1, similar to the PLAY:5. This would allow headphones (or other devices connected via 3.5mm mini stereo) to output the Sonos audio from a PLAY:1.

What do you think?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

51 replies

Well since it was my idea I support it!  Many people may use play:1 in a  smaller room like a bedroom where an earphone jack would be helpful for not disturbing our sleeping partners!  I should think it fairly simple to build in to the system.
Edward,
I thought it was my idea, since I recommended a line-out on the Play 1 for hearing impaired listeners ... let's just agree on great minds, and cross our fingers that Sonos can see their way to offer this option.
Bert

Happy to share the idea!
I too think that this would be a great idea but for a completely different reason. If there were. 3.5mm Jack on the the Play 1 then users could connect an Airport Express device and make the Sonos speaker compatible with Airplay (just like you can currently do on the Play 5). As soon as this feature's added I know these will sell like hot cakes.
I too think that this would be a great idea but for a completely different reason. If there were. 3.5mm Jack on the the Play 1 then users could connect an Airport Express device and make the Sonos speaker compatible with Airplay (just like you can currently do on the Play 5). As soon as this feature's added I know these will sell like hot cakes.
This would then allow for streaming of ANYTHING. Including YouTube, Movies , etc
what is airport express?
I would be surprised if SONOS implemented this- adding a headphone jack would undercut their sonos connect products. Users could simply connect the play1 to their existing home system by connecting to the headphone jack, at about £179, this is almost half price of SONOS connect.
Sonos has a line out on there play 5 why not play 1?
SONOS 5 is sold at a higher price than SONOS connect- therefore there is no possibility of taking sales away from another product. It wouldn't surprise me at-all if headphone sockets were introduced for models priced for around £300 and above- SONOS would not become its own competitor if they decided to do this. It's a bit of an odd one, I know! However SONOS is a closed system, you will find that some consumers will buy SONOS simply to benefit from the simple to use software ecosystem. From what I understand, the "play" series was a clever solution to allow SONOS to introduce more affordable products into the market, without devaluing their existing "connect" series.
I am very much in favour of a headphone jack in every sonos device. The effort is minimal. I also would appreciate a wireless sonos headphone that integrates itself into the existing WLAN architecture like every other sonos component.
Userlevel 1
Badge
The suggestion is for a Line - OUT socket and so this wouldn't help an Airport Express unit. That would require an AUX-IN socket which wasn't on offer.
Badge
Thrilled that my idea is catching fire.
I would hope that this headphone jack's volume would be controlled not only by the SONOS Controller but also the volume controls on the PLAY:1. I would hope it would perform liek a traditional Headphone Out jack and not as a Line Out made to work for headphones.
I would like my PLAY:1 to have a headphone jack so I could use my PS3 connected to PLAYBAR with headphones to not disturb other people in the apartment.
If they add a headphone jack to all the Sonos components, they better up the quality. The headphone amp on the Play: 5 sucks you know what. I would never use the headphone jack if the quality stayed the same on the other components.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'd rather have line-in AND line-out as standard in all Sonos speakers. The whole Sonos system would be more flexible, and simpler (no need for Sonos Connect).

I suppose a refresh of the product range at some point in time is something inevitable. New features are always welcome so I'll second this one anyway.

However, there are some great features already proposed from users which would be nice to see implemented and at leas some of them should be possible with software updates (Computer as source, DLNA, etc)

And thanks for polling for user opinions!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I would prefer high quality SONOS headphones (wireless), so I don't need to connect to ANY equipment.
It would help me. I use sonos in my study and need to listen privately so I do not disturb my pianist wife.
Sadly, this won't happen, as it would basically make the Play:1 function as a half-price Sonos Connect :(

Sonos products are great, but the business model is a seeming quite nasty these days - seriously limiting basic functionality to sell more hardware. The lack of a headphone socket on my ZP120 has always annoyed me, and the particularly overpriced Sonos Connect has put me off extending my system.
Badge
Sadly, this won't happen, as it would basically make the Play:1 function as a half-price Sonos Connect :(

Sonos products are great, but the business model is a seeming quite nasty these days - seriously limiting basic functionality to sell more hardware. The lack of a headphone socket on my ZP120 has always annoyed me, and the particularly overpriced Sonos Connect has put me off extending my system.

How would that make it a half price Connect? The headphone jack wouldn't add Digital Out via coax/optical or analog in capability.
It would be simple to insert the jack in the analog signal path to the speaker.

Only the most hardcore types would use a headphone out signal over a Line Out into a nice stereo system.
if it had a headphone jack id but it otherwise no
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I would prefer a line in or Bluetooth, but I also have the play 1 on my bed side table!
Great disappointment to me, that there was no possible jack connection. I bought a Play 1 to add up to the system, with the idea that it was more easy to move and to use as a sort of joker. Since the airplay streaming is still functioning very badly, I really would have hoped to be able to connect my phone or my ipad to the play 1, and move it around where I need it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Head phone out and line in please!
+1. My wife and I both work from home. I don't have the best hearing, and have a PLAY:1 sitting on my desk, but my volume level still disturbs her. A PLAY:1 would allow me to solve this problem since I could then plug headphones into it. That, or Sonos-compatible headphones would work as well which I know has a separate thread.
A line in on all Players would also be very helpful