Skip to main content

Hi Community,

Any a suggestions? When I try to enable Voice Control on my Arc (connect via ethernet), I get the following error: "There was a problem starting Sonos Voice Control. Make sure your mobile device is connected to Wi-Fi." My phone (Pixel 7 Pro) is definitely connected to WiFi on the same network as the Arc. I've rebooted it, still the same.

I did enable VC briefly when the feature became available, but subsequently disabled it.

Any advice gratefully received,

Andy

I am having the same problem when trying to set up the voice assistant on my new Era 100.  I am also on a Google Pixel (Android) but the 5a. Several months ago, I set up voice assistant on my Move 2 and that still works, but that was before the major app update.

Same here running a Pixel 8.  I had Alexa set up for over a year, and then switched my music provider.  Once I removed Alexa from the Sonos app, I could not add that back.  Received the same error as above.  

Could something block sonos.com or optimizely.com and cause that too if it’s not a pixel phone issue with the new app. I suspect you’ve tried with iPhone/iPad if you had those. 

Do the Pixel phones have google’s VPN enabled by default? 

VPN can cause issues for Sonos app so I’d check that, too. 

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/2819573?hl=en

Thanks for the good suggestions. I don’t have any internet filtering, and my Pixel 5a’s VPN is disabled. The Sonos app works fine for browsing and playing other internet services. But the “Tour” features and the “Add a voice assistant” features, show “Getting ready...” then just spins for a long time before showing that error. I wish I had another device to try. I wonder if there is an error in the diagnostics that would help the Sonos developers understand this?

Tour also does not work for me.  I am able to reach sonos.com on my phone.  However, I cannot reach optimizely,com (what is that anyway?) on either phone or computer.

optimizely.com is a 3rd party service websites use to monitor a user’s traffic, and use that to improve ad targeting, or just to collect data about the website’s use. If you can’t reach it, there might be an ad blocker feature installed on your router (like this “Pi hole” people have been talking about). 

Well I whitelisted both *.sonos.com and *.optimizely.com at my private DNS, and no dice.  Same error.  I was hopeful, so thanks for the suggestion.  Still sadly not working.

I had the same issue. Today I was on the phone with Sonos customer support for 2 hours for some troubleshooting. In the end, using a different phone solved it for me. With my Pixel 6a it didn't work, with a Galaxy S8 it did work.

I only have my Pixel 8 to use.  And it worked before.  Hmm.

Hey Andy, I had a similar issue with my setup. Have you tried restarting your Sonos Arc and your router? Sometimes a quick reset can help. Also, make sure the Sonos app is updated to the latest version. Let me know if that works!

I disabled my private DNS, both on the router and the phone, and then reset the router and modem (also restarted the phone).  Same issue.  I’ll try again in the morning in case something is cached.  Otherwise, I have no idea what else to try.

Hi Andy! It sounds frustrating. Since you’ve already rebooted your devices, you might want to try a few things: ensure that both your Arc and phone are on the same network band (2.4GHz or 5GHz), and check if there are any firmware updates for your Arc. You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling the Sonos app on your phone. If the issue persists, reaching out to Sonos support might be your best bet. Hope this helps!

Moderator edit: Post may be AI generated