Answered

Unable to (re)install Sonos Voice Control

• 1 September 2023
  • 13 replies

I’ve been using a Sonos One with SVC and Alexa for 5 months. Recently, SVC stopped responding, so I tried removing it and reinstalling, but it fails near the end of the SVC installation process every time. I’ve tried from 2 different devices with the same result. 

Today I’ve done a reset of the One and tried again, but it still fails. Alexa and music services appear to be working normally. Any suggestions?

Moderator edit: combined posts:

Scrub that! Since the system reset now Alexa won’t play any music. Internet queries are fine and Airplay still works 😞

Ok, got Alexa working again by removing the Sonos skill and re-adding it. Still can’t install SVC.

I should add that I’m running the latest App and firmware versions available. The installation appears to fail at around 90% progress.

icon

Best answer by PjPip 7 September 2023, 11:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PjPip 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you have the option, please try using a different controller to install Sonos Voice Control, or reboot the phone you are currently using.

A reboot of your router may also help - please turn it off for at least 30 seconds.

If Sonos Voice Control still won’t install on your speakers, however, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Corry, many thanks for the reply. 

I’ve tried different controllers. I’ve also tried using only 2.4GHz or 5GHz wifi with no luck. Additionally, I’ve removed the controller App and re-installed it, but now it doesn’t even start to download the SVC service, again asking to check my wifi. However, given that streaming from my device and asking Alexa to stream from the internet both work fine, I don’t understand how wifi can be the problem.

I’ll have to try tech support, thanks for the advice. 

Edited to add that whilst my iPad, with reinstalled Sonos app doesn’t even start the SVC installation any more, my phone with it’s original app installation still starts the download and installation, but fails at approx 90%. Bizarre!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PjPip 

Each app will have an Associated Product - the particular speaker that will interact with the app and relay instructions to/from it. I suspect your iPad has a different AP than your other controller. So, while it’s obviously not ideal that you can’t install SVC, there are reasons why each controller could be behaving differently.

Hi @PjPip 

Each app will have an Associated Product - the particular speaker that will interact with the app and relay instructions to/from it. I suspect your iPad has a different AP than your other controller. So, while it’s obviously not ideal that you can’t install SVC, there are reasons why each controller could be behaving differently.

I only have one speaker though 🤷‍♂️

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PjPip 

Okay, I concur - “bizarre” is the word.

I hope the team will be able to help.

Contacted tech support today and managed to get SVC working again by using a wifi hotspot instead of the router. It took a couple of attempts to change the network, but we got there in the end. 

Apparently my 4g router is not ‘fully supported’ although music streaming, AirPlay and Alexa continued to work ok throughout, so I’m not sure what/why SVC is any different.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PjPip 

4G - or, more accurately, LTE - routers are not supported by Sonos. Generally, this is because the connection quality can vary with the weather and other factors, and it makes troubleshooting playback issues much harder. Sometimes, however, there is also a difference in how devices actually get online - as compared to typical home broadband - though I am not familiar enough with these differences to even begin explaining them. None of this means that Sonos will not work with such a router, just that we won’t troubleshoot as all efforts could be fruitless.

The fact that your phone’s hotspot is also an LTE connection, however, makes me think that the actual issue might have been the DNS servers your home connection is configured to use - should you have any trouble in the future, this is where I recommend you focus your efforts at first.

I am glad to hear you were able to install Sonos Voice Control in the end, though. - thanks for updating the thread!

I hope this helps.

The recent controller app update has broken SVC again. I understand the ‘not all routers are fully supported’ stance, but as Alexa and music streaming still work perfectly fine, I think my time with SVC is done for now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PjPip 

In what way is SVC “broken” again? What is the exact issue you experience?

You won’t need to install SVC again, so I can only presume you’re having trouble actually using it?

I have no trouble using SVC on my on system, so I suspect the issue is again due to local conditions. When your speakers update, they reboot at the end, so it may be that this somehow changed something - the IP address, for example. I recommend you reboot your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds to see if that resolves the problem.

Of course, the more information you give me, the better ideas of what to do I can come up with. If you could please recreate the issue and then submit a support diagnostic and reply here with the number given, I’d be happy to take a closer look for you.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry, many thanks once again for the reply.

It is the same problem I had before, SVC just doesn’t respond to ‘hey Sonos’. I’ve tried a router reset, but it makes no difference.

Thanks for the support, but I’m not going to spend any more time trying to solve this one again. I can live without it and spend the time enjoying the music instead 😉 I really posted an update for completeness.

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PjPip 

That’s entirely up to you, and I get it. We are here if you change your mind.

I just noticed that you are in the UK, like me - Sonos Voice Control currently only supports US English and French, so it may just help to put a little bit of American twang into your voice when using SVC.

I hope this helps.

I’m offended…twang indeed! ;)

I’m offended…twang indeed! ;)

You would be more offended if you’d heard me trying it 😂