Answered

Sonos Voice: Sorry, your Amazon Music subscription does not allow you to play this content

• 11 November 2022
  • 12 replies

I’m using Sonos Voice Assistant with Amazon Music. A few days ago, it suddenly stopped working. Almost any content I request gets denied. For instance, I say “Hey Sonos, play Michael Jackson”. Unfortunately, the answer is (almost?) always “Sorry, your Amazon Music subscription does not allow you to play this content.”.

I don’t have Amazon Music Unlimited, but Prime Music. It used to work just fine. Furthermore, it does still work if I choose the same content via the Sonos app or the Amazon Music app. Thus, I guess this is an issue with the Sonos Voice Assistant.

Maybe it got something to do with the latest changes for Amazon Music, which increased the number of available songs from 2M to 100M I think?

I already removed the Amazon Music service from the Sonos app and re-added it. Didn’t change anything.

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 27 November 2022, 00:54

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

First off, have you disabled then enabled the Sonos skill in the Alexa App?

Otherwise please look at this more extensive list of actions: Tips & Tricks - Resolving Most Alexa Issues | Sonos Community

Thanks for your reply. I am _not_ using Alexa though, but the Voice Assistant provided by Sonos itself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for your reply. I am _not_ using Alexa though, but the Voice Assistant provided by Sonos itself.

Oops sorry!

Can you check the default music service in the Sonos App: Set your default music service for Sonos Voice Control | Sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If the issue remains, then please reset SVC: Sonos Voice Control requests not working | Sonos

I think that this probably is linked to recent changes In Amazon’s offering.  Best guess is that SVC just doesn’t deal with the new arrangement.  I don’t know whether this will be implemented or Sonos will say “SVC only works with Unlimited”.  I imagine it depends on how much Amazon and Sonos work is involved.  Sonos may not have had any prior warning of the change.

Can you check the default music service in the Sonos App: Set your default music service for Sonos Voice Control | Sonos

There wasn’t any default setting yet. I explicitly changed it to Amazon Music. Behavior didn’t change though.

If the issue remains, then please reset SVC: Sonos Voice Control requests not working | Sonos

Gave this a shot, too, but again the same issue.

I think that this probably is linked to recent changes In Amazon’s offering. 

That’s my guess, too. Is there any better place to communicate these issues with Sonos?

Pretty much the only reason we went with Sonos was to be able to use their voice service and avoid Alexa or Google. And it doesn't work with Tidal, and now it doesn't work with Amazon music. Total waste of money at the moment

Seems to be working again without me having changed anything 🙂

Yep, me too - although if you ask it to play an artist it only seems to play one song now and then stop?

I can’t get Sonos voice control to really work at all - it’s linked to Amazon music that definitely has all the artists and tracks I’m looking for. 

I ask it to play The Beatles, it will play one song and then stop.  I have to ask again, for each song I want to hear.

I ask it to play Tom Waites, it says it doesn’t have any music by Tom Waites.  I say play the album Let It Be, it says I cannot find the album Let It Be. Play the album Abbey Road - I can’t find an album called Let It Be. 

There is so little it seems able to play is there any point in the service at all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Amazon changed Amazon Music. For the service to be useful you need Unlimited now: https://www.entrepreneur.com/business-news/prime-members-are-frustrated-by-amazon-music-changes/438789

Thanks - that’s useful information. I’m still frustrated by how limited the service is  - it markets Sonos as the perfect partner with Tidal but doesn’t provide any voice support for that. And I can’t get it to voice activate BBC radio stations so any time we come in the kitchen and just want to put something on we have to get a phone out and fiddle with the app.

I understand that’s just the service’s limitations and if we want more we should use Alexa or Google but when I bought Sonos I was hoping that their voice service would actually be usable beyond having to subscribe to an entirely new service like Deezer and switch all playlists / history over (and risk that then becoming non-functional in future).

Even to just have some basic presets and be able to say, “Sonos, play preset one” and it turns on the radio station we want would be really helpful.