Sonos Voice "Drop In" or 2 way communication feature request.

Userlevel 1
Badge

We used to have Echo devices for home automation but when Sonos came out with voice control on their speakers I got rid of the Echos and put Sonos speakers throughout and used Alexa.  The only feature I miss is the “Drop In” feature from Alexa that is not available on Sonos.  We then switched to GA since it at least has the “Broadcast” feature.  I know you can use the Intercom app on your phone but that is not as easy as using a voice assistant especially with kids who dont have phones.  I was hoping the new Sonos Voice would include something like this.  What is the proper way to submit a feature request?  I see several “Feature Request” posts scattered throughout the forums but didnt know if Sonos had any other official way to request things.  I would like to use Sonos Voice but since it can’t be used with GA in order to keep using Broadcast it’s not really an option at this point.  I did play around with it this morning and it seems to work really well for the music side.  If they added their own communication feature I would enable that and switch back to Alexa for all other things.

5 replies

Badge +17

Hi @R0D1MUSPRIME,

Thanks for your suggestion. This is indeed the best place for feature requests, and I’ve fed yours back to our development teams for consideration 🙂

It does beg the question of whether that feature is tied up in a legal thing, and Google and/or Amazon won’t allow other companies, such as Sonos to implement a similar thing. Or possibly the licensing fee is too high….

We do know that their are features that both companies reserve for their own hardware, and don’t allow ‘enabled’ devices to use certain things. 

I have Sonos system on my ground floor, and would love to equip my 2nd floor with Sonos speakers if this feature is implemented.

Just FYI, you can do announcements. “Alexa, announce dinner is ready”.  What this is asking about is 2 way communication as an intercom or actually calling phone numbers or other Alexa households.

Please add me to the list of Sonos users that would like the Drop In feature turned on.