sonos roam voice assistant does not start music

• 26 November 2022
  • 1 reply

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

My sonos roam can connect to the em internet and app fine. It also can respond via Alexa or Sonos voice, changing volume etc. However it does not start streaming anything. The only way to start music or play the news is manually via the app.
It used to work before I set up a new mesh wifi router.

please can someone help

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mlwb 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It depends upon the music service you are using. I mention this because Amazon recently (2nd Nov ’22) significantly increased the choice of music you can access from a Prime tier account, but have disabled the ability to play particular songs and everything is shuffled. Voice assistants just report an error, however. If your new mesh WiFi system coincided with this, then it’s possible this is the only issue. If you have an Unlimited tier account, or are using another service entirely, this does not apply.

Another possibility is that your new mesh is acting as a router and you still have your old router, which is doing the same. If this is the case, you’ll need to tell one of them to stop - usually the mesh. I recommend you take a look at the Mesh WiFi section of my help article:

If none of this helps, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports, but I hope it does.