Answered

Play a sonos playlist using sonos voice control

• 23 December 2022
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

How can I get the hey Sonos command to play one of my Sonos playlists. Whenever I tell Sonos to play the playlist it automatically goes and play some radio station or other. Not very helpful so far.

icon

Best answer by Mike R. H. 23 February 2023, 11:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

The playlist ‘ideally’ needs to be part of the default music service set for SVC in the Sonos App. Local libraries are not (yet) supported. So perhaps save the playlist to the music service instead using its native App.

Userlevel 7

Sonos playlists are not supported by Sonos Voice Control.

You can only request playlists that are through one of the supported music services.

Note: you can save playlists to any of the ‘other’ music services supported by SVC, but if they are not set as your default MSP service, you will need to include the MSP name in your instruction too. eg..

"Hey Sonos, play Joel’s Top Tracks playlist from Spotify"

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Sonos playlists are not supported by Sonos Voice Control

Weird that SVC doesn't support Sonos's own Playlists.

Similarly that that works as I didn't think Spotify was supported yet by SVC (but don't yet use it - may actually move to S2 tomorrow…...)

Sonos playlists are not supported by Sonos Voice Control

Weird that SVC doesn't support Sonos's own Playlists.

Similarly that that works as I didn't think Spotify was supported yet by SVC (but don't yet use it - may actually move to S2 tomorrow…...)

Ah you’re right @sjw - Spotify isn’t supported (not yet at least), that’s my mistake (sorry🙏). I’m seeing just these 5 supported MSP’s - that will teach me to look before posting.

• Amazon Music
  • Apple Music
  • Deezer
  • Sonos Radio
  • Pandora

Thanks for pointing that out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hey @Joel-RhinebeckNY, Sonos Playlists are now supported, as per the latest update to SVC 1.1.

It will also prioritize your Sonos Playlists vs your Music services. So saying “Hey Sonos, play 80’s Hits” Will pick your playlist with that name, over for example Apple Musics.

You can read more about it here: We are introducing Sonos Voice Control version 1.1.

Hey @Joel-RhinebeckNY, Sonos Playlists are now supported, as per the latest update to SVC 1.1.

It will also prioritize your Sonos Playlists vs your Music services. So saying “Hey Sonos, play 80’s Hits” Will pick your playlist with that name, over for example Apple Musics.

You can read more about it here: We are introducing Sonos Voice Control version 1.1.

So this will also get a Sonos playlist made from songs stored on a local NAS to start playing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I updated my Roam (does SVC get updated as a part of that - I can't see a way to update that) but when I ask it to play a playlist it says before it can do that I need to subscribe to a music service.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Eureka! It works perfectly.

Thank you, SONOS team for making this update and improving my Sonos system. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Joel-RhinebeckNY, Sonos Playlists are now supported, as per the latest update to SVC 1.1.

So this will also get a Sonos playlist made from songs stored on a local NAS to start playing?

Sonos Playlists live on the speakers, you are referring to Imported Playlists, which live in the local library.

Sonos haven’t said anything about voice support for local libraries that I have seen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I updated my Roam (does SVC get updated as a part of that - I can't see a way to update that) but when I ask it to play a playlist it says before it can do that I need to subscribe to a music service.

That makes sense, as Sonos don’t support voice access to your local library.

It seems there are four MSP services that SVC currently supports:

• Amazon Music
  • Deezer 
  • Pandora
  • Sonos Radio 

It would be nice to see that list extended, with alternative ‘voice’ options, as I’m not a fan of the current one (Sorry Mr. Esposito🙏), but more than that, I still wish for the option to switch off the earcon acknowledgment tone, as it reminds me of an old Windows 3.11 stop-error tone... or at least allow me to change it to something else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That makes sense, as Sonos don’t support voice access to your local library.

It doesn’t make sense to me, I’m not asking it to directly play a song from my local library - I’m asking it to play a core Sonos function - an ‘internal’ Sonos playlist.

Sonos Voice now supports Sonos Playlists.  To me, that means I can ask Sonos Voice to play a Sonos Playlist - at the point of asking, it doesn’t care or know what is in that Playlist - it should just start playing it.  That playlist could contain songs from whichever source - why does that matter?

I can play a Sonos Playlist by ‘playing’ it through the Controller - if asking for it to be played is now supported, I don’t see the difference.

Userlevel 7

It seems there are four MSP services that SVC currently supports:

• Amazon Music
  • Deezer 
  • Pandora
  • Sonos Radio 

It would be nice to see that list extended, with alternative ‘voice’ options, as I’m not a fan of the current one (Sorry Mr. Esposito🙏), but more than that, I still wish for the option to switch off the earcon acknowledgment tone, as it reminds me of an old Windows 3.11 stop-error tone... or at least allow me to change it to something else.

Apple Music too

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos Playlists live on the speakers, you are referring to Imported Playlists, which live in the local library.

Sonos haven’t said anything about voice support for local libraries that I have seen.

This works beautifully for all “Sonos Playlists” I created from my music library on my windows desktop which is on the same network as my Sonos speakers through a whole house Linksys Mesh Router system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

This works beautifully for all “Sonos Playlists” I created from my music library on my windows desktop which is on the same network as my Sonos speakers through a whole house Linksys Mesh Router system.

Good to hear.  I don't understand references to expecting Voice to work for local libraries as this isn't what the announcement is for. It's for Sonos Voice supporting Sonos Playlists. I don't see how the content of those Playlists is relevant when the request is just to play it.

So if I understand it right, if one wants to play an album using SVC via the local NAS, it just needs to part of a Sonos playlist and then it will play using SVC even if the broadband connection is not there?

And why is there a version number for SVC - does it not get automatically added on to the latest version as part of the S2 update process?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

So if I understand it right, if one wants to play an album using SVC via the local NAS, it just needs to part of a Sonos playlist and then it will play using SVC even if the broadband connection is not there?

That’s exactly my understanding - however controlav believes it makes sense that it doesn’t work that way and airgetlam evidently agrees.

It would be good if Sonos/ @Mike R. H. could clarify expected behaviour.  I don’t see how the content of a Sonos Playlist relates to initiating its playback vie SVC.

And why is there a version number for SVC - does it not get automatically added on to the latest version as part of the S2 update process?

I don’t know - and don’t know if/how the version can be checked.  I haven’t manually updated it separately - other than installing the latest software update.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

That’s exactly my understanding - however controlav believes it makes sense that it doesn’t work that way and airgetlam evidently agrees.

It would be good if Sonos/ @Mike R. H. could clarify expected behaviour.  I don’t see how the content of a Sonos Playlist relates to initiating its playback vie SVC.

I don’t know - and don’t know if/how the version can be checked.  I haven’t manually updated it separately - other than installing the latest software update.

Hi @sjw, It should indeed work like you assumed, if it does not that would be seen as a bug. I am currently in the process of testing it myself, but SVC takes around 24 hours to [[read the updated playlist]]. I have flagged this for the SVC team and they are also looking into it.
SVC 1.1 is what everyone that updates their system will have. The 1.1 part is to indicate a feature update to SVC.