Skip to main content
Question

Hey Sonos only works with Sonos Radio?

• 18 June 2024
  • 2 replies

It appears the “hey Sonos” command only pulls music or station from the sonos radio service, even if you have another service set to default.  hey Sonos always defaults to their Sonos service. Ive tried every verbal command possible.  I'm trying to play specific station from audacy and iheartradio. I give the command “hey Sonos, please today’s 101.9” or “….. from audacy”…..neither one does a thing.  it doesn't respond and just turns off.  if I say “hey Sonos play 101.9” it will play another 101.9 station that is in the Sonos service.  

how you do you make “hey Sonos” work with the other services?  I hate having to do it from within the app.  I just want to talk to it.  I dont use Alexa or google.  I use Siri and HomeKit.  Siri completely understand and will play through my phone to my Sonos speakers...I dont want that as it uses my phone to play.  I want to use hey Sonos and have it stream directly to through the sonos speaker, not through my phone to the speakers. if sonos doesn't fix this ill be selling my equipment and getting HomePods or something that actually works

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @nunyabiz, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sonos Voice Control (SVC) will be defaulting to Sonos Radio for radio station streams as Audacy and iHeartRadio aren’t supported music services with SVC. Supported music services are listed on our support page ‘Music services that work with Sonos Voice Control’.

Your current method of asking Siri to play the station is one way of getting this to work, however, if the radio station you listen to is also listed on Sonos Radio and searchable in the Sonos app, then saying full station name should initiate playback through Sonos Radio.

While the services you use aren’t supported, I can also mark this thread as a feature request to be sent to the relevant teams.

I hope this information helps!

It will not play anything from Audacy, that is for sure.  Thanks for the reply.  It’s a shame this doesn’t work with iHeartRadio or Audacy.  These are the two biggest local radio station players!!

The Siri option, isn’t really an option as it plays from my iPhone to the speakers via airplay.  it doesn't play directly through sonos speakers.  the radio station is not listed in Sonos Radio. 

yes, please add this feature.  it is needed!!