Development suggestion - Temp. Vol. Increase

• 10 August 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge

Hi

While I enjoy the new voice commands very much for modifying playback. I often end up asking for increased volume on great track, but forget to turn it down again.

Suggestion: 
Voice command: “(Hey Sonos) This is a great track!”
Response: Volume increase to a (in app?) set value, but for the remainder of the song only. For the next track, volume should return to whatever it was before.

9 replies

I’m puzzled. How can you “forget” about a volume which is too loud? 

1. It’s too soft, so “Hey Sonos, turn it up” or simply “Hey Sonos, louder”
  2. It’s too loud, so “Hey Sonos, turn it down” or “Hey Sonos, softer”

I’m puzzled. How can you “forget” about a volume which is too loud? 

1. It’s too soft, so “Hey Sonos, turn it up” or simply “Hey Sonos, louder”
  2. It’s too loud, so “Hey Sonos, turn it down” or “Hey Sonos, softer”

The frustration I have with this is that while the volume changes louder/softer, I usually have to repeat the command several times to achieve the volume I’m looking for. To add to this, I have to wait for my initial command to be fully processed before repeating the command.  I might even need to reverse a command if I go from “almost loud enough” to “too loud”.  The potential solution for this is to specify the volume level, “set volume to 23”, but that requires that I learn and remember what volumes I like for different scenarios in each Sonos room.  I usually just end up picking up the phone to adjust volume.  This isn’t a knock on SVC, but voice control in general.

One thought, which might help OPs situation as well, is to allow named volume levels per room to be defined by users.  For example, I could create labels ‘low’, ‘medium’, ‘loud’, then set low = 15, medium = 40, loud = 75 in the kitchen, set low = 10, medium = 35, loud = 85 in the master bedroom, etc.  I won’t have to remember which number works in each room, but can just ask SVC to play in low in the kitchen, and it knows that means volume 15.  If I’m playing to a group, it sets the right volume in each room.  Taking it a step further, it would be nice if you can configure that music playback is always low  during certain hours without me having to pre-emptively state that.  Likewise, any time the Arc is playing atmos play it live.

That said, this would take some resources on the speakers, and I don’t know that people would go through the effort of doing the upfront configuration.  I can’t even say that people perceive volume at the same levels in every room every time, so this may not work at all.  Just looking for ways to handle volume issues better via voice, rather than what feels like blind guessing currently...to me anyway.

Well, SVC allows follow-on commands, so fine tuning the volume is not quite as onerous as it could be if the wake phrase was required each time. In several rooms I also reach for the IKEA remote as an alternative.

As for having different volumes depending on the time of day, I just configure a number of silent, 1-minute alarms to preset the volume levels.

Well, SVC allows follow-on commands, so fine tuning the volume is not quite as onerous as it could be if the wake phrase was required each time. In several rooms I also reach for the IKEA remote as an alternative.

I use the ikea remote for TV audio, and it works well most of the time.  Sometimes it seems like the connection isn’t there, or delayed.

As for having different volumes depending on the time of day, I just configure a number of silent, 1-minute alarms to preset the volume levels.

Yea, I haven’t spent much time exploring that idea.  Also useful for breaking up existing groups.  One downside to this is that I do want to retain what’s last played, so I can easily resume playback, the next day perhaps, via hard buttons.  Still, it would be nice if more automation like features like this could be added.

I use the ikea remote for TV audio, and it works well most of the time.  Sometimes it seems like the connection isn’t there, or delayed.

I see this occasionally. I suspect the Zigbee routing is being recalculated.

Yea, I haven’t spent much time exploring that idea.  Also useful for breaking up existing groups.  One downside to this is that I do want to retain what’s last played, so I can easily resume playback, the next day perhaps, via hard buttons.  Still, it would be nice if more automation like features like this could be added.

For regular content I hit an IKEA shortcut button.

I see this occasionally. I suspect the Zigbee routing is being recalculated.

For regular content I hit an IKEA shortcut button.

It’s getting way off topic, but I am hesitant to invest in shortcut buttons till Matter gets more established.  And I don’t think buttons are really on the radar for that anyway.   I do have some old echo buttons that I have repurposed for similar tasks though, very handy.   It would like to see the idea of buttons expand to various pads and remotes with varying number of customizable buttons available, depending on need.

Perhaps a “Volume Plus Three” type of command.

Try

“volume up three”

“volume up a lot”

“volume up”

“volume up a bit”

I still want my preset volume labels...