Answered

When using google assistant, playing spotify simultaneously in multiple rooms is not working.

Userlevel 1
One of the best features of sonos system is playing different music from the same spotify account on multiple Sonos speakers at the same time.

When I use Google Assistant to start playing a song in a certain room, it works great. But when give a secomand command to play a different song in another room, it stops the already playing stream.

I believe it forwards the comannd to Spotify, and not to Sonos.

My setup is two Sonos play:1s, and android based assistant / google home app.

I will get a google home mini, and a google home hub

What am I missing?!
icon

Best answer by Misfit 21 May 2019, 20:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
One of the best features of sonos system is playing different music from the same spotify account on multiple Sonos speakers at the same time.

When I use Google Assistant to start playing a song in a certain room, it works great. But when give a secomand command to play a different song in another room, it stops the already playing stream.

What am I missing?!

I think you nailed it.
You're technically going outside of Sonos to start the Spotify playback

If you just use the Sonos application, does it work?
Userlevel 1
Sure.. It works as expected when using Sonos app. But that it not the case..

I wonder, how does it work when using a Sonos One or beam with voice commands?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I have the same issue! It appears the voice command has the same result as using the spotify app on a phone, i.e. whenever from the spotify app a different sonos device is selected the previous one stops playing. I have spotify family and all family accounts linked to the sonos system. Does not make any difference. This is a horrible flaw if true: it cannot be so that if my one kid starts playing music on their bedroom One the One in other kid’s bedroom stops playing. @Sonos mods: please provide feedback if I am missing something or if this flaw is true.
Userlevel 1
I think the solution is if Google home will recognize Sonos app as a music service.
Then, Sonos app will use Spotify as it does regularly.
@flyingpadrejr. If you are only interested in responses from Sonos staff may I suggest email to Sonos is a more appropriate medium than a Community forum? In any case you have already had a clear response from Sonos on another thread.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Dear John, if you monitor please do it right - this thread came first and I only started the other thread because there was no clear response in this thread, even though it was already marked ‘best answer’ (which I even mentioned in the other thread). And no I am generally not only interested in Sonos staff answers, and even got very good feedback from other user, but I could nowhere find a clear confirmation that there wasn’t a way to solve this implementation failure. With GA being brand new I did not think forum users could say with absolute certainty that you cannot use GA in more than one room with Spotify family pack. And I think this is important information that other forum visitors might also be interested in.
Userlevel 1
I don't find the "best answer" very much halpful

If Play One and Beam users has the same experience, it is very problematic.

They are not "going out of sonos app" to play music.
Sonos must find a way to make it work

It's not up to Sonos. It is up to Google.

It's not up to Sonos. It is up to Google.

Indeed. How are Sonos supposed to make this happen when it isn't even possible with Google devices?
Userlevel 2

I realise this is quite an old thread but think I have an issue similar to Lazy8onez.

In short, I have two Play 1s connected over WiFi with an additional old ZP5 hard wired into the rear of my router through a TP Link. I have a Google Home speaker in my kitchen that operates Spotify through the Sonos system beautifully. (I also have 2 more Google Home minis but don’t use those for music playback). 

Question, is it possible to play a Spotify playlist through the Google Home speaker and the Sonos system at the same time? From reading this thread, my understanding is that the Google Assistant will only select different, single sources as it does through the Spotify app, if so can I group my Google speaker in with my Sonos equipment? 

Hope this makes sense! 

Many thanks in advance. 

John. 

You cannot play synchronized music through Sonos and Google devices.  They have very different syncing technologies.