Using a Sonos speaker to control CastleOS

• 2 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

I'm configuring my home network and want to add speakers to different rooms. I'm considering using CastleOS as my controller software because I currently have a Ring doorbell and Nest thermostat and am interested in the Sonos speaker options.

I know I can control the Sonos speakers by talking to them, and I can control the speakers through CastleOS, but can I control CastleOS (or another controller software like Home Assistant) by talking to the speakers, or are the onboard mics only capable of controlling the speakers?

I'm looking for alternatives to buying a few Kinects to add voice commands to my home's CastleOS setup, and these Sonos speakers appear to be ideal in giving me multi-room voice recognition while also filling the sound system role, but only if they also let me give CastleOS commands, such as turning light switches on/off or setting the temperature.

Thank You In Advance,

1 reply

I am unaware of a way to integrate the CastleOS directly into the Sonos for voice commands. Currently, Sonos works with Google, Amazon, and Sonos Voice Control. You may want to ask the folks at CastleOS if they plan on integrating with Sonos, and point them to the Sonos partners page,, at least as a starting point, although most of that is more about integrating as a streaming service, but should give them enough to open discussions with Sonos to integrate their voice command system. 

I would also expect any integration of an entirely new end point to be a lot of effort, so I wouldn’t hold my breath on it…and, speaking personally, it doesn’t bode well that I’ve never heard of CastleOS before, so Sonos spending effort on integration may not be a valuable enough use of their time, if it isn’t something that would impact a significant number of users.