Sonos with Homepod mini

• 16 November 2020
  • 8 replies

Any suggestions on should I update my Sonos system? I am waiting for HomePod mini and have some credit with Sonos. Was thinking of upgrading to arc, 2 ones. I’ll be keeping my sub. Should I get 2 one sl or 2 ones? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Rae71, welcome to the Sonos community, and thank you for reaching out to us. Can you please give me more information about your concern? We’d be glad if you can submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information. If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We'll wait for your reply.

Hi Rowena 

my question was more relating to upgrading. I’ve just got a home pod mini. I have credit with Sonos. I currently have a playbar, 2 x play 3 and a sub. All running off Sonos 1 app due to still having a gen 1 play 5. So was wondering what the best way to upgrade would be. An arc, and 2 x one sl or 2 x one speakers. And should I upgrade my sub (gen 2)

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Rowena 

my question was more relating to upgrading. I’ve just got a home pod mini. I have credit with Sonos. I currently have a playbar, 2 x play 3 and a sub. All running off Sonos 1 app due to still having a gen 1 play 5. So was wondering what the best way to upgrade would be. An arc, and 2 x one sl or 2 x one speakers. And should I upgrade my sub (gen 2)

How does the homepod mini sound for such a small speaker?

You don't have to upgrade your sonos devices. There's no integration with Homepod + sonos other than some sonos do airplay.  Don't upgrade your sub no need.

Hi Rowena 

As stated before, you don’t have to upgrade from S1 to S2.  If you wish to upgrade, all you would have to do is remove your Play  5 gen 1 from your system.    The playbar, play 3s, and sub are all compatible with the S2.  If you’re looking to upgrade your playbar to an Arc, you would only need an Arc.  If you want to upgrade the play:3s as well, you would want the Sonos One SLs, as voice control features are turned off on Sonos Ones when used as surround sound speakers for an Arc (Arc has voice control).  No need to upgrade the sub, unless you just want to get all current equpment.

If it were me, I think I would use the 30% discount on the Arc//SL/Sub package. Use the play:3s and old sub to replace the play:5 gen 1.  Sell the playbar if I don’t have another TV I could use it with.   And sell the play:5 gen 1.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

^ Damn that last paragraph is a gateway to very good sound. That $$$$ tho YOLO.

^ Damn that last paragraph is a gateway to very good sound. That $$$$ tho YOLO.

I have a weakness for discounts.  That plan is $1300 after the 30%, saving over $500, add whatever you can get for the play:5 and playbar.  If you get an Arc and One SLs separately using existing sub, That’s $800 w/30% off for $560   + $360 w/15% off for $306 = $866.  That’s not a bad plan either since play:3 without a sub is very good, and you still get the spare play:5 and playbar to sell or use.

The one thing I wouldn’t do is get an Arc and a Five.  That would be $560 + $425 (w/15% off) = $985.  I think I would rather pay less and have a pair of play:3s instead of a single Five.

Hi Rowena 

How does the homepod mini sound for such a small speaker?

You don't have to upgrade your sonos devices. There's no integration with Homepod + sonos other than some sonos do airplay.  Don't upgrade your sub no need.

Hi bumper. 
HomePod mini has very good sound for such a small speaker. Thank you for your input

Hi Rowena 

As stated before, you don’t have to upgrade from S1 to S2.  If you wish to upgrade, all you would have to do is remove your Play  5 gen 1 from your system.    The playbar, play 3s, and sub are all compatible with the S2.  If you’re looking to upgrade your playbar to an Arc, you would only need an Arc.  If you want to upgrade the play:3s as well, you would want the Sonos One SLs, as voice control features are turned off on Sonos Ones when used as surround sound speakers for an Arc (Arc has voice control).  No need to upgrade the sub, unless you just want to get all current equpment.

If it were me, I think I would use the 30% discount on the Arc//SL/Sub package. Use the play:3s and old sub to replace the play:5 gen 1.  Sell the playbar if I don’t have another TV I could use it with.   And sell the play:5 gen 1.

Hey melvimbe 

thank you for all your suggestions