Sonos control Philips Hue Smart Plug

• 20 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Currently, I have all my office equipment (monitor, lights, computer, etc) connected to a single Philips Hue Smart Plug. I have a Google Home speaker that is linked with the Philips Hue plug via bluetooth. I can give my Google speaker commands like “Turn on the office” or “Turn off the office” and it will turn the plug on or off. It works great.

The Google Home speaker is not great in terms of audio quality and I would like to replace it with a SONOS speaker to match all the other SONOS speakers I have around the house.

Will any SONOS speaker be able to control my Philips Smart Plug using a voice assistant? Keep in mind that I do not have a Philips Hue Bridge, so the speaker needs to have the ability to connect via bluetooth.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @wkrinsky 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

A Sonos speaker will not be able to connect to your smart plug via Bluetooth, no.

However, while I can’t speak for that Smart Plug specifically, there are many smart plugs available that do not require a Bluetooth connection - in fact, I think yours may be somewhat unusual in having it as an option in the first place. Personally, I have a smart plug from TP-Link (Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug Slim) that can accept commands from Alexa, Google Assistant or from the app/widget on my phone, no Bluetooth required, or indeed possible.

I would be surprised if your Smart Plug does not do the same, and if it can, it will work with the voice assistant installed on a Sonos speaker without issue (not with Sonos Voice Control, however). If you can disconnect the Bluetooth connection between your Google Home and Philips Smart Plug and still control the plug’s power without that connection, you’re basically good to go - the info page (https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/p/hue-smart-plug/8719514342323doesn’t specifically mention that you can, however. If you are sure that it won’t work without either a Bluetooth connection or a Hue Bridge, then you would need to get a different Smart Plug to get the same functionality with Sonos. 

With all that in mind, you would need a speaker that supports Voice Assistants. Excepting the Home Theatre options, that would be a Sonos One, Era 100, Era 300, Roam or Move (1 or 2). Note that Era models and Move 2 cannot install Google Assistant, but will work with Alexa. Note also that the SL (One SL and Roam SL) variations do not have microphones, so cannot run Voice Assistants (SpeechLess).

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

get a phillips hue bridge, should be loads on ebay from starter kits, then you will use wifi and not bluetooth

Hue can do loads more with a bridge.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Using a Hue Bridge will indeed ad to the Hue experience. There are 18 lights/smart plugs a various locations in my home.

Thanks for all the responses. 

I’ll probably get the bridge, but I am not using any other Philips products as everything is tied into my ISP Smart Home package. Alternatively, I could get a z-wave smart plug and forgo the whole Philips Hue debacle completely.