Question

Permanently group Sonos One and Play 5

• 10 November 2019
  • 4 replies

Hello, I own several different Sonos products.

I recently purchased a Sonos One for the bathroom and grouped it with a play 5 located next to it in our bedroom.

The grouping works, however if I use Alexa to control the Sonos one it only play on this device, but not on the play 5.

Is there a way to avoid this and have the music play on both if they are grouped - and if not, why….?

Thank you guys!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Yes there is...

You need to create an 'Alexa Enabled Group' in the Amazon Alexa App. Set the Sonos One speaker as the group enabler/controller. 

Add the Play 5 to the 2nd part (middle section) of the Group for audio ducking purposes.

In the final section of the Alexa group add both Sonos devices as the ‘Preferred’ Speakers for music playback.

They will then work as you want them to.

See this link too, for information purposes…

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-now-playing-with-alexa-groups-6817588

Thank you but if I understand right, this only applied to alexa-able devices right...?

Thank you but if I understand right, this only applied to alexa-able devices right...?

No, they are also for Sonos devices, see my 'example' Kitchen group (screenshot attached). Breakfast Bar (Stereo pair old Play:1’s) and Utility (Play 5) are two Sonos Rooms in my Kitchen Group controlled by an Amazon Echo Dot called Alexa Kitchen Hub … but a Sonos speaker can control the group aswell.

Remember to prefer your two speakers in the 3rd section of the group too.