iOS Shortcut 'hiccup'

• 30 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I have an iOS shortcut that toggles my Sonos Move (starts playing music if off; stops playing music if already playing). Music is sent to the Move via Airplay over wi-fi.

it works fine when testing.

BUT, when used normally, the first time I run the shortcut, I get an error message that the output device cannot be reached (“Endpoint cannot be found’). If I IMMEDIATELY run the shortcut again it works fine!

For some reason the Sonos is not responding to the initial request from Airplay. I thought of just pinging the device first but that is not possible from an iOS shortcut.

Sonos support have no record of anyone else seeing this issue but I’m interested in the views of forum users.

anyone else seen this issue? If so, do you have a solution?

thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 1

Apart from the ‘hiccup’ described the iOS shortcuts work fine. All I want to do is start playing music if the Move is off and stop playing if it is on. A simple script in iOS shortcuts. As an all-Apple shop (apart from the Move) the limit to Apple Music is not a problem.

Anyway, I solved the ‘hiccup’ issue by sending a ‘Get URL Headers’ to the Move IP address.

Do the shortcuts you created for the Move work exactly how you want them to or do you experience a “hiccup”? Also, the Shortcuts/Home app is extremely limited controlling Sonos speakers. The Soro app allows you to create automations and shortcuts for pretty much ALL settings of your Sonos speakers, not just play, pause, and volume control. Not to mention Shortcuts seems to be only limited to playing Apple Music on Sonos speakers.

I agree, Soro is extremely simple to use and extends the Sonos capability… I have a lot of Soro based shortcuts. It’s great for scheduling personal shortcuts, to do things like switching ON/OFF HT Night Mode and/or Speech Enhancement each evening or resetting devices overnight ready for use the next day. It’s well worth the small price it costs and is configurable to do most things Sonos related.

Userlevel 7

Do the shortcuts you created for the Move work exactly how you want them to or do you experience a “hiccup”? Also, the Shortcuts/Home app is extremely limited controlling Sonos speakers. The Soro app allows you to create automations and shortcuts for pretty much ALL settings of your Sonos speakers, not just play, pause, and volume control. Not to mention Shortcuts seems to be only limited to playing Apple Music on Sonos speakers.

Userlevel 1

Not sure why I wold pay to do something I already have done (and for free). The issue is not with iOS shortcuts (I have created over 50, many of which have been published) but the Sonos device not responding quickly enough to a network call.

Userlevel 7

You should consider creating the shortcut with the Soro app: https://apps.apple.com/nz/app/soro-for-sonos/id1550457805