IFTTT - If This Then That integration with Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

138 replies

Badge
Would love to have IFTTT for Sonos - so many things including with Hue lights and also alerts from Nest Thermo/Nest Protect products.  Would like to see Sonos being able to kick in my Hue lights when played. On Nest it would be good to be able to play audible alerts through Sonos - eg Warnings from Nest Protect , temperature alerts from Thermo etc.
Badge +3
Has there been any official stance on this yet? Amazed it's not supported already.
I would love IFTTT to be able to have the SONOS be like a door bell. Have it play a sound when phone rings, or door opens, etc... Or even connecting it to my Nest Protect when the fire alarm goes off...
Userlevel 2
Sonos alarm + Hive x ITTT = warm home for me when I get up in the morning and no wasted energy when I'm not at home (irregular schedule means auto away does not work well).

Hurry up Sonos and embrace this....
That would be clumsy, slow and would not work as well as you imagine with IFTTT James. Having to send the motion signal over the net to trigger a recipe and for the recipe to send back a trigger for Sonos, would take ages and fail frequently. However, with a NUC, some open source software and a bit of know how, it is very possible to set up the system you want. I've done it 🙂
This thread is 2 years old -- and still no integration..... please make this happen!
With more and more options for wireless audio hitting the market every month, it's going to take things like this (IFTTT integration) to keep Sonos relevant. The hardware to achieve wireless audio is getting more modular and opening up more and more possibilities to connect existing high end audio. I think growth in market share will depend on software capabilities and compatibility as this market moves forward.

Every time Sonos falls behind by a step it's going to mean slightly less revenue and make it increasingly more difficult to fund these types of development projects. This could create a dangerous feed back loop for the business.

For the sake of your customers who have invested in you, don't fall behind Sonos.

- Cam Cardosi
I dont understand how sonos cannot integrate that. already the whole DTS thing and now this. The department from Sonos responsible for that is so retarded.. They could easily establish themselves as the new smart things standard like philipps hue or Nest but... I cant understand that..
Userlevel 3
Badge
This thread is more than two years old, not a single comment from Sonos. This is a total lack of respect for their customers. Quite disappointed with the so-called innovations brought to us since v.4.. IFTTT would indeed be a requirement for a home audio system worthy of the name as we are now slowly entering 2016...
Sonos support can you tell us something about IFTTT? Is there any integration soon?
I would love IFTTT to be able to have the SONOS be like a door bell. Have it play a sound when phone rings, or door opens, etc... Or even connecting it to my Nest Protect when the fire alarm goes off...

IFTTT is good for integrating Web based services but would not be the best choice for an application like a doorbell. If your internet connection was down for some reason your doorbell would not work even though both the doorbell and your Sonos system are right there on your local area network. A better approach would be to use a home automation device such as Homeseer to set up the link between Sonos and your doorbell to keep everything local and reliable.

I purchased some Nest thermostats last year and have had some major fails with them due to Internet connectivity. This year I'll be moving back to network thermostats that do not depend on external services and will never again use any product that depends on external connections to accomplish their core functions. IFTTT would be great to integrate things that are web based by nature such as reading a weather forecast but it's not the best choice for integrating Sonos to other products inside your home.
Badge
Lets skip this and go straight to Sonos and Hue working together for Ambient lighting based on the actual music, the artist or album or genera.
This thread is more than two years old, not a single comment from Sonos. This is a total lack of respect for their customers. Quite disappointed with the so-called innovations brought to us since v.4.. IFTTT would indeed be a requirement for a home audio system worthy of the name as we are now slowly entering 2016...

So, let's list all the multi-room audio makers that DO respect their customers and support IFTTT, shall we?

1. Ummmm....
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So, let's list all the multi-room audio makers that DO respect their customers and support IFTTT, shall we?

1. Ummmm....

Ummm... you do realise that this fact is irrelevant with regards to if Sonos should support it or not? I don't know the first thing about IFTTT, I don't care if Sonos supports it or not and, actually, for me personally I would rather that they put their development efforts somewhere else. BUT, could we, as a community of users, please stop attacking suggestions for Sonos improvements with passive aggressive answers such as this one? Why not let people be enthusiastic about their suggestions for improvements, and even "I'm surprised that I can't do this with Sonos" comments, without trying to scare them away from the community at every opportunity?
Missed the point entirely, did you?

I was attacking the ridiculous notion that Sonos doesn't respect its customers..
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Yes please!
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Yes I would like to see Sonos integration with some external services / home automation services ....
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'd love this, imagine being able to wake up with a report of your days calendar, being able to have emails read out from certain users, having notifications of when people are leaving work, reminders for the day, Audio notifications when someone comes to the front door, intercoms.... possibilities are endless.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Please add IFTTT support!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Sonos, you guys should really find a way to open up an API to allow people like all of those pining here to help build the Sonos into an even more amazing platform. Imagine if you gave hooks so we could use the Sonos platform with Amazon Echo and/or with Siri, etc.

Let alone opening up to work with IFTT. If you created a channel, how amazing would that be!

Disappointed to see all these requests for several years, with no feedback whatsoever. Learn from others who do give their user base real time feedback, at least to show them the love a bit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
+1 !
just got a Nest thermostat as my first device that prompted me to investigate IFTTT. There is huge potential here with Sonos also.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6b2012a8-008c-11e5-b91e-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3zWS9C9JT

in spite of being an early example of the benefits of adding wireless connectivity to a previously offline device, Mr MacFarlane is cautious about the hype around the “smart home” and “internet of things”.

“I don’t think people are looking for us to control your TV or your lights. I do believe in the ‘smart home’ but I think it has to solve problems for people,” he said.

“There is so much for us to do with that narrow focus of filling your home with music. I think the music services have just gotten started.”
+1
We really need this protocol to be integrated, Folks !
Userlevel 1
While Sonos were among the first and for sure are the biggest and have excellent products, Im getting afraid they will be missing out on the new customers entering the segment. No IFTTT integration (almost ALL new successful products entering the market in any kind of streaming / connected products opens up for IFTTT, )no Apple HomeKit integration, no voice control etc etc.

I really hope they will not become the Nokia of streaming music. (They had the best phones, they were the biggest, but missed the train and where are they now ?)
Userlevel 3
Badge
Missed the point entirely, did you?

I was attacking the ridiculous notion that Sonos doesn't respect its customers..

Seems you did too, apart from making obnoxious yet irrelevant remarks.

The lack of respect point is regarding the fact that this thread, with over 100 replies, and this feature, which might be the #1 requested by users, didn't received an official reply from Sonos in the past two years. And this - IS - indeed a lack of respect for their customers.
I don't care if you're a Sonos fanboy, I do love my sonos system myself, but you should start to show a little objectivity - improvements could be made, not on the overall experience, but on connectivity.
I just hate when someone is attacking my posts instead of exchanging on the real issue raised here.

I was quite understanding with the lack of support of DTS and AirPlay, two other major requested features, that Sonos didn't want to implement for - I guess - licensing costs & hardware. But open APIs and Third Party Connectivity are purely a matter of goodwill and developer time.

The fact that two years ago this development was not a priority for Sonos might have been true, but I think it would now be time to at least give us an update on where they stand. What is taking priority now?

I definitely agree with the latest contribution, Sonos needs to be integrated to the home, being able to automatically disable the speakers when leaving home (smart alarms / nest integration) is what we expect to see now. When I walk out of my house, the alarm system turns on, my nest thermostat is set to away, my hue lights turn off, why is my Sonos system stupid and still playing if I forgot to get my phone out of my pocket, fire the app, and press pause? Time to move on! Hell with their Music partnership, Apple should throw them HomeKit connectivity as well!