Answered

How do I revoke Smartthings access to Sonos?

• 12 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have been on the phone with Sonos support and Samsung support in order to deauthorize a connection I made from Samsung Smartthings to Sonos. It seems that Smartthings keeps the authorizations even after deleting all the speakers from Smartthings. This means that if you connect to one Sonos account you are stuck with it forever.

There are no options from the Smartthings side to reset the connection, and there is not indication of this relationship from the Sonos side. 

I am trying to avoid creating a new smartthings account.. is there are way forward?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 12 January 2022, 02:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

As stated in the thread below, the only way to do this with 3rd Party access to the Sonos API is to contact Sonos Support. I appreciate you mention you’ve already done that, but that still appears to be the only way forward to revoke access…

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@mtnman I'm trying to understand what Samsung could do with the authorization that you wouldn't want them to. Or is it just the nagging feeling they could have access?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@mtnman I'm trying to understand what Samsung could do with the authorization that you wouldn't want them to. Or is it just the nagging feeling they could have access?

I don think the concern is really over Samsung, but more general. For example, as a result of my Sonos Alexa app I had the account tokens for many thousands of Sonos customers, in a database. If that database still existed and was hacked, and the hacker also got my app secret, they could issue commands to all of those customer systems to play stuff, send audio clips, mute everything, blast the volume, etc, and be exceedingly annoying.

The risk of this is reduced if Sonos customers can see who has been given access to their system, and revoke that access when required.