Have a Sonos speaker compatible with home-assistant (home automation)

• 28 January 2024
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2

Sonos would gain new customers by integrating Home Assistant voice compatibility into its speakers, and as with many open source projects, there are many qualified people in the community.

A large portion of users would buy a Sonos speaker if it could include their voice assistant! Should Sonos consider this question?

Especially since Sonos won its lawsuit against Google (patent infringement), and the next one will be Amazon, with Alexa. How will Sonos speakers continue to be compatible with "OK, Google" (which doesn't work for me!!!) and "Alexa" in the long run?

Google has already withdrawn 17 features since the end of January 2024. Google and Amazon are refocusing on AI for home connectivity, either with new products that will be compatible with their AI, and new apps, which will undoubtedly be incompatible with Sonos speakers, as Google refuses to pay royalties to Sonos to integrate its patents into its own connected speakers.

I'll let you guess what is likely to happen... And what will inevitably happen.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Kalypso

Voice assistant development is a quick race these days and imho Sonos did well to get their own assistant SVC that’s in their hands. 
Not sure how things will go on, but I think Google is out of the Sonos race. 😉

What I heard so far home assistant offers a large Sonos integration and many users like it.

So leave your suggestion here for a Sonos mod to read it and to take it on the devs list. 😎

I am sooooo ready to ditch my Echo speakers and Alexa. I’d pick up multiple Sonos speakers to replace them across my house.

Personally, I want something that’s supported well from a hardware perspective - the hacker kits available today are fine for tinkering, but seem more like proofs of concept than finished products. I suspect the software support would come quickly from the HASS community, if Sonos just added some integration hooks.

It's still a empty market, none of the cinese companies into smart home appliances (aqara,...) released, yet, a speaker with the sole home assistant integration. 

I still HAVE to use alexa through Sonos but it would have so much free ads from all the home assistant community if sonos would open the (basic) apis.

I will soon ditch alexa, I already have tons of Sonos speakers... "this wedding has to be done" 😅

This needs to happen.  I have MANY speakers and no desire to use Alexa or Google Assistant - Hey Sonos is limited - Home Assistant offers things like direct integration with ChatGPT or completely open self-hosted models like Mistral.  For the users that don’t go that deep, a completely local way to control switches in the home using the “stock” voice assistant provided by Home Assistant would be a huge win.  It’d be majorly convenient for a very large number of people.  The Home Assistant project is one of the largest open source projects in the world with a giant installed base…

Another plus one for this to be considered by the devs 🤞🏻 My entire smart home set up is locally hosted with only 1 platform forced to use a cloud services alongside Google assistant. I have an Arc in my lounge and Symfonisk speakers in all other rooms but if Google Assistant voice was supported I'd go out tomorrow and replace those speakers with microphone enabled units!

Hmmmm, a lot of one and done posters in this thread.  That’s not fishy at all! 🤔

Hmmmm, a lot of one and done posters in this thread.  That’s not fishy at all! 🤔

You've got to start somewhere!

You want to hear me ask for this again with the same reasons? 😁

This is less “something fishy” and more a representation of how big the installed Home Assistant base is.  Sonos should run a survey asking how many of their users also run Home Assistant - the overlap is probably high - the Sonos integration already available in Home Assistant is pretty great and people can play whatever they want on the speakers without needing the cloud.

Userlevel 1

I can confirm I initially originally got into the Sonos ecosystem because of two things:

1. Ease of setup and daily use
  2. Home Assistant Compatibility

I’d love to see the integration expanded to work alongside or have additional controls with the Sonos Voice Control especially because its all local which is another positive, that was high on the reasons I selected Sonos as my speaker system!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If Sonos could support a voice command provider that provides for more languages that would be great. One of the big advantages of Google Assistant to me is that it provides for the use of much more languages than Alexa and certainly SVC. As far as I know SVC also cannot be used to turn on your lights, raise your blinds etc.

Not sure about language support on Home Automation, but the fact that it was started by an dutchman seems promising.

Userlevel 2

I think Sonos should just provide the basics, so that the open-source Home Assistant community can fully integrate voice recognition functionality. If it were possible for me to control my Home Assistant home automation, it would be much more than a single speaker that I would have today. And this, and above all without Cloud, all locally, the opposite of Google, and Alexa.

Too bad I can't post a survey on this forum, Sonos would probably be surprised by the result?

Je vais réfléchir comment en mettre un en place via un lien externe

This would be amazing!

Even if Sonos could act as voice satellites for Home Assistants voice pipeline it would be fantastic. 

Ready to ditch Alexa!

Badge

+1! If I could use Sonos to send custom voice commands to Home Assistant (and specifically interact with a custom assistant there) that would be incredible. It’s the best feature Sonos could possibly add and would open up a whole new world of options—all while bringing more users into the Sonos ecosystem.