Answered

Do we have Sonos and Ring Compatibility?

• 11 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi Everyone,

I’m considering purchasing a Ring doorbell and would like to have it “ring” through my current Sonos Setup (Play Bar, Play1, One).   I see mixed reports on the success (and complexity) of integration. I don’t really fancy having a dedicated device to Chime or rely on my phone in the house

So, is my simple requirement for a notification from Ring to Sonos to alert me someone at the door unrealistic?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 11 November 2020, 14:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hi Everyone,

I’m considering purchasing a Ring doorbell and would like to have it “ring” through my current Sonos Setup (Play Bar, Play1, One).   I see mixed reports on the success (and complexity) of integration. I don’t really fancy having a dedicated device to Chime or rely on my phone in the house

So, is my simple requirement for a notification from Ring to Sonos to alert me someone at the door unrealistic?

Thanks!

Good question.  There are several aspects of this to unpack.  First, there is no direct integration between Ring and Sonos.  There would need to be a ‘3rd party’  service involved, such as IFTTT, Amazon Alexa, smartthings, etc.  Second, I don’t think you’re going to find a good setup to have alert sent to Sonos devices that are not voice enabled...playbar, play 1, etc. You might be able to tell them to automatically play a sound when the doorbell rings, but you would not be able to get them to resume playback of music after the sound.  Beam, Arc, Sonos Ones would be able to do this if they are instructed to play a noise via Alexa or Google assistant functionality.

So, there are probably several complicated ways to do this, but I just looked at two.  First, I looked at the configuration of the ring doorbell device within the Alexa app.  You can configure an annoucement to play on echo devices and other alexa enabled devices, but Sonos alexa enabled devices are not listed.  So that won’t work.  You can, however, setup and Alexa routine to accomplish this.  The routine setup is pretty straight forward.

When:  <doorbell name> is pressed

Alexa will:  play <sound name>

You can also setup routines for when a doorbell or camera detects motion.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’ve been able to get my ring equipment to notify me via a Samsung Smarthings hub back when I had my playbar at the heart of my system many moons ago, In fact long before Alexa routines even existed. It’s great that Amazon have added the routines feature, I use it myself sometimes with my arc 5.2.2 setup.

Alexa routines it’s very similar to Smartthing routines feature but I personally find smartthings functionality to be much more comprehencive & versitile to Alexa routines but then again you do need to have a Smartthings hub which is another extra box in the living room.

Danny, thank you so much...I have been searching for ages for an answer to this as previously I no idea people were at the door when watching tv.

I have now got my Sonos Beam to play sounds, in addition to the Echo dot announcements in other parts of the house….worth highlighting again.

Alexa routine to play sound on Sonos.

When:  <doorbell name> is pressed

Alexa will:  play <sound name>

Brilliantly simple! :)