• 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

My setup is as follows:

1 x Sonos One in “Bathroom”

1 x Sonos One in “Bedroom”

1 x Sonos One in “Nursery Room”

1 x Sonos One in the “Office”

1 x Sonos ARC, Sonos SUB (3rd Gen) and 2 x Sonos SL in the “Living Room”, where I have my TV, which also has an Apple TV 4K (2nd Gen) plugged in to it.

All rooms have Philips Hue lights as well.

The name of the rooms are set up as stated in the quotation marks.

Up until now, I have used Google Assistant to send voice commands and it has been working OK, with the exception of not being able to control my Apple TV with it, obviously.

I just got a HomePod Mini as a present, which I have placed in the Living Room, same place and want to be able to use it as a voice command interface, to for example, “Hey Siri, play music in Living Room” or “Hey Siri, play music in Bathroom”. What happens is, Siri plays music on the HomePod Mini instead of the actual speakers in the rooms mentioned. I am able to control the lights with Siri in specific rooms, but music is always played on the HomePod Mini. Then I have to go manually on my iPhone and select the speakers through the AirPlay settings in order to redirect the music to the designated room.

I tried with creating a pseudo room for the HomePod Mini and moved it there, I even called the room something totally different than “Living Room”. And even when my voice command was like “Hey Siri, play music in {ANY} Room”, it would still play on the HomePod Mini.

I also tried with creating a pseudo room and moved everything except the HomePod Mini to another zone than the remaining devices, no help.

What am I doing wrong here?

The room names in the Home App, Sonos App, Google Home App and Philips Hue App are completely matching, as suggested by Sonos.

Anybody can help?

icon

Best answer by Sebman 3 January 2022, 15:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hi NissarK84

first of all, Sonos is not fully compatible with Siri, at least not until the present day. 

You need to add the Sonos speakers to the Apple HomeKit app, I guess the Hue lights are there already because of the Hue Bridge. Then you can voice command the HomePod saying ie „Siri, play the music in the living room.“ Siri then will play the actual title also on your Sonos system. 

in HomeKit you can create rooms and scenes (almost) alike in the Hue App. 

best, Sebman

Badge +1

Hi NissarK84

first of all, Sonos is not fully compatible with Siri, at least not until the present day. 

You need to add the Sonos speakers to the Apple HomeKit app, I guess the Hue lights are there already because of the Hue Bridge. Then you can voice command the HomePod saying ie „Siri, play the music in the living room.“ Siri then will play the actual title also on your Sonos system. 

in HomeKit you can create rooms and scenes (almost) alike in the Hue App. 

best, Sebman

Hi @Sebman 

Thanks for the reply.

I have done exactly as you suggest, but it just fails to do as I want.

Example:

We have a room in our place I use as a home-office. In my Philips Hue setup this room is called “Office” with the ceiling lamp also called “Office”. The Sonos One speaker I have placed in this room is also called “Office” in the Sonos setup and located inside the room called “Office”. The “Office” speaker is added in my Apple HomeKit and also shows inside the room called “Office” along with the ceiling lamp called “Office”. When I ask Siri on my HomePod Mini “Hey Siri, play music in the office”, Siri will play the music on the HomePod Mini. If I ask Siri the same question on my iPhone, she will play music only on my iPhone. However, when I ask Siri (regardless if it’s on my iPhone or the HomePod Mini) to turn off the lights in “Office” off, then she does that without any problem.

The example above was for the “Office” room, but it applies in all rooms.

Hi @Sebman 

Thanks for the reply.

I have done exactly as you suggest, but it just fails to do as I want.

Example:

We have a room in our place I use as a home-office. In my Philips Hue setup this room is called “Office” with the ceiling lamp also called “Office”. The Sonos One speaker I have placed in this room is also called “Office” in the Sonos setup and located inside the room called “Office”. The “Office” speaker is added in my Apple HomeKit and also shows inside the room called “Office” along with the ceiling lamp called “Office”. When I ask Siri on my HomePod Mini “Hey Siri, play music in the office”, Siri will play the music on the HomePod Mini. If I ask Siri the same question on my iPhone, she will play music only on my iPhone. However, when I ask Siri (regardless if it’s on my iPhone or the HomePod Mini) to turn off the lights in “Office” off, then she does that without any problem.

The example above was for the “Office” room, but it applies in all rooms.

Perhaps give your Sonos speaker a unique name such as "Sonos Office" (or whatever you prefer) and give it a few minutes and try Siri again - I suspect you may find Siri gets confused if encounters rooms/multiple devices with the exact same name. 

Edit: It’s best to rename the Sonos speaker in the iOS HomeKit (Home) App.