Using a surround speaker for voice assistant

• 30 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

I have a Beam + Sub + 2 Surround speakers (Sonos Ones). My TV (with its Beam) is installed in a lift cabinet. When the TV is off, the TV and the Beam are lowered deep inside that cabinet. Since the voice assistant defaults to using the Beam’s microphone and speaker, it becomes difficult if not impossible to use Alexa when the TV is off, buried in my lift cabinet. Having two Sonos Ones sitting there, each capable of providing Voice Assistant function but disabled by default is quite frustrating.

Is there a way, in a surround configuration, to select the microphone and speaker that the Voice Assistant uses rather than defaulting to the Beam?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Not currently. 

Although I know it’s not ideal, I would look at getting a cheap echo dot to use for Alexa in that room.  They are going for under $20 right now for the 3rd gen model, $30 for 4th gen.  You can configure Alexa groups so that commands to play music will automatically play on your Beam, though I suspect that’s not important to you.  I actually find that I prefer this setup, particularly when using an echo show, as it gives you a bit more flexibility and do not need to be concerned about Alexa features that Sonos may or may not support.