Sonos Move: Bluetooth v WiFi

• 3 September 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi - If I’m music playing through multiple Sonos speakers, including Move, and then I take the portable speaker towards the end of the garden where WiFi drops out, will it automatically and seamlessly switch to Bluetooth and continue in sync with the other WiFi connected speakers in the house? Assuming I’m using the app on my phone and have that with with me…..

Thanks, JH. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No. The Bluetooth does not crosstalk with the Wi-Fi. There is no ‘seamless switching’, it’s one or the other, and needs to be physically changed by the button press. 

Thanks Airgetlam. Do you know if the music on the Move speaker will re-sync with the WiFi connected speakers once the switch to Bluetooth takes place? 

Cheers! JH

Honestly, I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking….but if I understand in, no, there is zero synchronization between the two connection methods. It’s just like having two speakers, one Bluetooth, and one Wi-Fi enabled. You just have the ability to switch from one to the other in the same device. You wouldn’t normally even be using the same software to play music. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Instead of starting another thread I am going to hijack this one on Bluetooth.

I have already synced my IPhone and Pad to Move’s Bluetooth. My question is How do I switch from WiFi to Bluetooth while playing music? Do I need to pause my music on the Move (using Sonos app) and then hit the wifi/bluetooth button (led turns blue) and then hit the play button to start playing music again? Also can I switch from Wifi to Bluetooth will the Move is grouped to another Sonos speaker? Or do I need to ungroup Move first? I’ve tried to switch while music is playing and nothing happens. I lose my wifi connection and Sonos disappears from my app. Well not disappears, but I have to reconnect to wifi using another Sonos or my router.