Answered

Can I set up so all Sonos speakers play together when using Alexa (Amazon Music)

• 30 August 2022
  • 6 replies

I have Sonos speakers in 3 rooms, currently if I ask Alexa to play music from my Amazon Music Unlimited it starts playing in that room only. I know I can manually add rooms via the app but this is tedious and the rest of the family can’t access the app.

Surely a multi-room speaker system should be able to be configured to play on all speakers as a default. How do I configure my Sonos system so this happens?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 30 August 2022, 15:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

'Hey Sonos, group all apeakers'

John’s answer is the easiest, but it’s not Alexa.  You can setup an Alexa group  and put all 3 Sonos rooms as the default speakers for the group.  So if you named the group ‘Home’, you would say “play music on Home”.  If you didn’t want to have to say “Home” then you would need to include the Alexa device in the group so that it knows to use the speakers in the group by default.

If possible I would like for all speakers to play ‘as default’ within the Sonos eco system. 

If possible I would like for all speakers to play ‘as default’ within the Sonos eco system. 

Well then, as I stated, you can setup an Alexa group with your echo supplied as the voice assistant in the group.  if you aren’t aware of how to setup Alexa groups, here’s a link with info below.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3169?language=en_US

Well then, as I stated, you can setup an Alexa group with your echo supplied as the voice assistant in the group.  if you aren’t aware of how to setup Alexa groups, here’s a link with info below.

Thanks melimbe, I do have an Echo spare so I will try this. I have set up a Home group in Alexa app and that does work.

However, it still seems odd to me that Sonos sells itself as a multi-room system, but you have to use these work arounds rather than setting up a default group that Sonos plays to without any prompt.

Thanks melimbe, I do have an Echo spare so I will try this. I have set up a Home group in Alexa app and that does work.

However, it still seems odd to me that Sonos sells itself as a multi-room system, but you have to use these work arounds rather than setting up a default group that Sonos plays to without any prompt.

I don’t understand your comment at all.  Sonos has an app in which you can group, on-the-fly, any combination of rooms you want, including a one touch button to play everywhere.  That is how it has been since Sonos pioneered multiroom wireless systems (or at least, systems that worked and were user-friendly, before someone mentions LMS).  You can also now group using SVC.

I think Sonos can justify ‘selling itself as a multiroom system’.