Skip to main content

Hi all,

We’ve been sharing app updates with you all over the last several months, and today we wanted to share commitments that we are announcing following our internal review of the app release in May of this year. In addition to all we have been doing to get you back to enjoying your Sonos products, these commitments will drive us to emerge from this with an even stronger commitment to quality. You can read highlights of the commitments below, and read more here: www.sonos.com/commitments.

To address the root causes of the problems of the app release, we commit to:

• Unwavering focus on the customer experience. To deliver the highest level of customer experience, we will always establish ambitious quality benchmarks at the start of product development. We will not launch products until they meet these criteria. We will also enhance the tools needed to measure and maintain the standards our customers expect.
  • Increase the stringency of our pre-launch testing phases. Our beta testing program will include a broader range of customers and more diverse setups, helping us diagnose and resolve issues faster before going to market.
  • Demonstrate humility when introducing changes. In contrast to the all-at-once automated app release we issued in May, any major change to the Sonos app will be released gradually, allowing customers to adjust and provide feedback before it becomes the default. For new features smaller in scope, we will introduce an opt-in experimental features option in the app for customers who would like to participate in testing them.
  • Appoint a Quality Ombudsperson. This new role will ensure our employees have a clear path to escalate any concerns in terms of quality and customer experience. This person will be consulted by executive leadership throughout the development process and before any product launches. In this role, the ombudsperson will guarantee transparency and publish a report to management and employees twice per year, and will present regularly to the Sonos board of directors. 

In addition, we are also committing to the following to begin to regain your trust: 

• Extend our home speaker warranties. To reflect our strong belief in the quality of our products, we will extend the manufacturer’s warranty by an additional year for all home theater and plug-in speaker products currently under warranty.
  • Relentlessly improve the app experience with regular software upgrades. We will continue to roll out updated mobile software versions every 2-4 weeks to optimize and enhance the app experience, even after the current issues are fully resolved.
  • Establish a Customer Advisory Board. We will form a Customer Advisory Board to ensure we never lose sight of our customers' voices. This board will provide feedback and insights from a customer perspective to help shape and improve our software and products before they are launched.

As a demonstration of the significance of these commitments, the Sonos Executive Leadership Team will not accept any annual bonus payout for the October 2024 - September 2025 fiscal year unless the company succeeds in improving the quality of the app experience and rebuilding customer trust.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. Thanks for all of your support and patience the last several months - we’re excited to move forward and get you back to enjoying the quality that Sonos is known for.

Your Sonos team.

Hi all,

We’ve been sharing app updates with you all over the last several months, and today we wanted to share commitments that we are announcing following our internal review of the app release in May of this year. In addition to all we have been doing to get you back to enjoying your Sonos products, these commitments will drive us to emerge from this with an even stronger commitment to quality. You can read highlights of the commitments below, and read more here: www.sonos.com/commitments.

• Unwavering focus on the customer experience. To deliver the highest level of customer experience, we will always establish ambitious quality benchmarks at the start of product development. We will not launch products until they meet these criteria. We will also enhance the tools needed to measure and maintain the standards our customers expect.
  • Increase the stringency of our pre-launch testing phases. Our beta testing program will include a broader range of customers and more diverse setups, helping us diagnose and resolve issues faster before going to market.
  • Demonstrate humility when introducing changes. In contrast to the all-at-once automated app release we issued in May, any major change to the Sonos app will be released gradually, allowing customers to adjust and provide feedback before it becomes the default. For new features smaller in scope, we will introduce an opt-in experimental features option in the app for customers who would like to participate in testing them.
  • Appoint a Quality Ombudsperson. This new role will ensure our employees have a clear path to escalate any concerns in terms of quality and customer experience. This person will be consulted by executive leadership throughout the development process and before any product launches. In this role, the ombudsperson will guarantee transparency and publish a report to management and employees twice per year, and will present regularly to the Sonos board of directors. 

In addition, we are also committing to the following to begin to regain your trust: 

• Extend our home speaker warranties. To reflect our strong belief in the quality of our products, we will extend the manufacturer’s warranty by an additional year for all home theater and plug-in speaker products currently under warranty.
  • Relentlessly improve the app experience with regular software upgrades. We will continue to roll out updated mobile software versions every 2-4 weeks to optimize and enhance the app experience, even after the current issues are fully resolved.
  • Establish a Customer Advisory Board. We will form a Customer Advisory Board to ensure we never lose sight of our customers' voices. This board will provide feedback and insights from a customer perspective to help shape and improve our software and products before they are launched.

As a demonstration of the significance of these commitments, the Sonos Executive Leadership Team will not accept any annual bonus payout for the October 2024 - September 2025 fiscal year unless the company succeeds in improving the quality of the app experience and rebuilding customer trust.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. Thanks for all of your support and patience the last several months - we’re excited to move forward and get you back to enjoying the quality that Sonos is known for.

Your Sonos team.

The overpaid egotistical hacks who run Sonos have pocketed hundreds of millions of dollars over the years and have now slapped a once loyal customer base in face all so you could launch headphones nobody wants.

It's infuriating that they continue to live in luxury after turning our equipment that we paid a lot of money for into a festering pile of detritus that is as reliable as some no-name garbage. Have any of them offered to sacrifice some of their wealth to help fix the problem? Of course not.

Will my speakers ever just work like they did before Sonos created this disaster? God I hope so 

Hi all,

Your Sonos team.

The overpaid egotistical hacks who run Sonos have pocketed hundreds of millions of dollars over the years and have now slapped a once loyal customer base in face all so you could launch headphones nobody wants.

It's infuriating that they continue to live in luxury after turning our equipment that we paid a lot of money for into a festering pile of detritus that is as reliable as some no-name garbage. Have any of them offered to sacrifice some of their wealth to help fix the problem? Of course not.

Will my speakers ever just work like they did before Sonos created this disaster? God I hope so 

Yea. On that note, I got to say that Sonos’ employees are probably not using the brick app that we’re using. You know they’re using the last version as they’re lounging in luxury at their own homes and offices 😂

Hi all,

Your Sonos team.

Yea. On that note, I got to say that Sonos’ employees are probably not using the brick app that we’re using. You know they’re using the last version as they’re lounging in luxury at their own homes and offices 😂

Well the guys at the top probably have the latest gear and probably also have on-call IT support who come to their house to set up their networks. And even down to the mid-level, they probably don't rely on Play1s from 10 years ago. I can't imagine that Patrick Spence is actually unable to change the volume on his speakers or group/ungroup speakers to his heart's content. First rule of testing though is to test on the hardware that the user has, not what you wish they would buy. Maybe they thought we'd all be gullible enough to just upgrade all our hardware and boost their sales. 

Well the guys at the top probably have the latest gear and probably also have on-call IT support who come to their house to set up their networks. And even down to the mid-level, they probably don't rely on Play1s from 10 years ago.

I doubt that Spence uses Sonos for home audio. And yet claimed to have used the new app successfully for some months prior to the May 2024 launch, the app that is still limping along for many users in the real world.

At some time the Board will realise that unless Spence is jettisoned, Sonos cannot regain credibility and customer trust. I am surprised he has been able to cling on till now.

Such a shameful implosion of a great product with excellent interface. How could this NOT have been predicted unless those who were warning of dire consequences and had the skills and knowledge to know what they were talking about - just maybe somebody a little higher up in the pecking order stubbornly went ahead anyway…happens in all companies but this move has bricked hundreds of thousands of customers expensive products. The platitudes mentioned are too little too late and are words alone…unless the app dramatically improves my next speaker will NOT BE A SONOS one. Shame as I have 8 already in the house and they cannot talk to each other never mind the app!!  My worry is Sonos will go ‘t*ts up’ and the company will cease to exist  - should I sell my speakers now? Who would even buy them?? The trello board and planned enhancements (aka essential functions) don’t include the problem I reported this week to Sonos who replied that it is a known issue. 

What amongst your mission statements above gives me the most hope? Well..mission statements and trello is something my own company did years ago and we’ve moved on as they didn’t really do a lot other than than give the executives something they could understand when they looked at them ….hmmm? In lieu of a magic wand and a Time Machine, please please show more humility - your home page demonstrates great products and functions which are - in reality - NOT currently working. I want to love you again but it’s you..not me. 

I hope I’ll be pleasantly surprised, but at this point I’ve given up on Sonos ever fixing the absolute mess they’ve created.

5 months to come up with the list of corporate platitudes above? This does not inspire hope.

All I want is to be able to play my own music collection through the expensive speakers Sonos sold me. And then broke.

What a f@@@ crock. Just stop. Just stop with the bull sh&t. Everyone is so tired of it now. FFS

I hope I’ll be pleasantly surprised, but at this point I’ve given up on Sonos ever fixing the absolute mess they’ve created.

5 months to come up with the list of corporate platitudes above? This does not inspire hope.

All I want is to be able to play my own music collection through the expensive speakers Sonos sold me. And then broke.

This. 

I haven’t got much longer on this earth so I really would like fast answers as to how I can play music from my iMac on my silent Sonos speakers.

Can I suggest that in future you leave a working app in situ and introduce new changes in beta form alongside. 

We oldies could then be saved a huge amount of frustration and listen to our favourite music whilst the youngsters exploit the new facilities and find the bugs for the rest of us!

please stop talking and digging deeper in a hole that was as visible as the ocean, and you decided to test walking on water….

7 bullet points above, in order -  

1-3 : duh. You are a product company and you don’t do this???

4: that should be your c-suite. Are you saying all they care about is pushing bad products and forcing an ego centric “swallow what I give you, you’ll like it mentality”?

5: really, that is it. Pitiful. How about you take the warranty, and just give us back the old app. Retire, take the golden parachute, and start over.  Won’t pay for a frustrating summer of music and going back to using a more reliable Bluetooth boom box. 

6: duh, again

7: if that doesn’t include, c-level shake up recommendations, then what will that do.  Don’t you have a board for that. What about your product managers, etc 

bottom line - a lot of “rookie” in that update statement. A bunch of hot air and stuff that should have been already baked in to a customer centric product company.  Keep trying… 

just pool those bonuses for the buy your equipment back fund… don’t bother worrying if those executives stay or leave. They should be gone by now anyway. So just another empty promise. 

Hi all,

Your Sonos team.

At this point there are two acceptable messages from Sonos:

1) Here is an app that works EXACTLY as well as the one we had in May when everything was fine 

2) Here is a check for the full price you paid for your gear, including taxes and installation costs, so that you can go buy replacements since we turned your perfectly working just fine product into a festering pile of poop

I'm just out of patience for anything else