Skip to main content

Yesterday we released a new update to both iOS and Android.

The update has the following version numbers:

80.02.05 (Android)

80.02.04 (iOS)

Please note that you may need to check for updates in the App Store in order to update during the first few days of the release.

With this update we've added or improved some of the following features you all have been asking about:

• Mute button (on iOS)

• Play Next & Add to End of Queue

• Sleep timers

• Improved local library connectivity

• Improved Trueplay setup (on iOS)

• Added distance settings for surrounds

• Ability to update older firmware systems

Check out the full release notes here.

We've still got a road ahead of us and here is what’s coming soon:

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June

• Playback controls including mute and volume numbers: June

• Local music library search and playback: mid-June

• Improved playback settings including Play Now: July

• Create and edit local music library: July

• Improved Autoplay settings: July

• Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July

• Snooze alarms: TBD

We appreciate your continued patience.

Update 17 June 2024:

Today we release another update for the new Sonos app.

80.03.06 - iOS
80.03.03 - Android

This update brings a number of fixes and additions that you've been asking for.

In this update:

• Introduced mute button on Android.

• Added numerical values to the volume and group-volume sliders.

• Updated the volume icon to reflect the volume level on iOS.

• Added stereo or mono configuration for Amp/Port output on iOS.

• Improved TalkBack screen reader support for volume sliders on Android.

• Added support for SonosNet channel selection on iOS.

• Expanded support for service reauthorization on Android.

Check out the full release notes here.

Update 1 July 2024:

Today we released another update for the new Sonos app.

80.04.04 - iOS
80.04.04 - Android

Check out the full release notes here.

In this update:

• Added multi-product setup for professional installers for iOS
  • Improved accessibility for configuring alarms with VoiceOver and Talkback
  • Added autoplay setting for analog devices using line-in for Android
  • Added support for SonosNet channel selection for Android
  • Added timezone settings for iOS
  • Added the option to forget a system in order to connect to or create a new system for iOS
  • Improved notification for player firmware updates on Android

Update 18 July 2024:

80.05.01 (Android)

80.05.01 (iOS)

Please note that you may need to check for updates in the App Store in order to update during the first few days of the release.

With this update we've added or improved some of the following features you all have been asking about:

• Added setup, configuration, and search for local Music Library
  • Improved account settings for Sonos Pro subscribers
  • Improved line-in autoplay and compression settings
  • Improved accessibility in Settings
  • Improved notification for player firmware updates 
  • Updated the volume icon to reflect the volume level
  • Amp/Port can be configured for Stereo or Mono output in Android
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp

• Playlist editing
  • Downgrade from S2 to S1
  • Persistence of offline devices 
  • Additional configuration settings

A few notes about Local Music Library Functionality

Fixes for all of the following issues will be addressed in future updates. 

We appreciate your patience!

• After adding/removing a share, there can be a delay during reindexing where it’s not clear that Music Library indexing is happening, and some leftover elements of a removed share can still show up during reindexing. Be patient - it is in fact, still indexing. 
  • Music Library Search is not accessible in the controller without access to the Internet.
  • Local Music Library will not work for alarms.

Additional things to consider specifically on Android:

• The “More” menu, Play Now and Play Next options may fail with "something went wrong" for local library content. Local Music Library albums are also currently unable to be favorited. 
  • - When a new library share is added, it doesn't appear in the music library settings page. The share does appear if you dive into Music Library > Folders. It may appear if the share disappears after closing/reopening the app, but the share is successfully added.

Things to consider specifically on iOS: 

• No album art of Albums in Sonos Favorites

Update 6 August 2024:

80.06.04 (Android)

80.06.03 (iOS)

AD_4nXe7e7lRVBzrNBdX3g0FPrmcZy4FLhfIBkz8rKJkHpdLELP2GL-B5iyBeD6U25DCJyKWH7Z4rBQatr5FAWa1JxXTWGIF6I-od29jdvSR_Gep5f90rtxEuPGM3-fzoboJMzwnFPLntmdDENzryT-6HoO2GbA?key=3MBgCiMSYJUlLjmzAk3J-A

With this update we've added or improved some of the following features you all have been asking about:

In this update:

• Introduced TV Audio swap for Sonos Ace from Arc, Beam, Beam 2, and Ray on Android
  • Added TV Audio swap for Sonos Ace from Beam, Beam 2, and Ray on iOS
  • Added S2 to S1 downgrade tool 
  • Improved smoothness and reduced latency for Group Volume controls on iOS
  • Added mute buttons for individual products in Group Volume controls
  • Added Group Volume controls from the Now Playing screen on iOS
  • Added the ability to clear the queue on iOS
  • Improved performance for large queues on iOS
  • Added the ability to “forget system” on Android
  • Improved reliability for speech enhancement and night mode settings on iOS
  • Improved reliability when starting playback from a playlist on Android

Update 27 August 2024:

80.07.03 - iOS
80.07.05 - Android

In this update:

• Accessibility improvements in Settings
  • Improved smoothness and reliability for product setup
  • Added the ability to clear the queue on Android
  • Added Night Sound toggle in Room Settings for sound bars

Update 19 September 2024:

This update will be rolled out for iOS and Android separately.

Here is a quick look at what is going to be available for both iOS and Android updates:

iOS - (Available starting today)
Version 80.09.05

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Improved performance when browsing content in Home and in Browse
  • Improved queue management including ability to delete, reorder and scroll
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Continued improvements to the user interface
  • Added Trueplay support for iOS 18

Note: This iOS update will be deployed in phases over the coming days. Please allow until Tuesday to receive via automatic updates. If you add a player to your system, you’ll be prompted to update during setup. If you’d like to get the update sooner, go to the App Store, locate the Sonos app, and tap the Update button. 

Android - (Scheduled for September 24

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Added setting to change the Alexa wake word language

No update on the music library fix……  That Sonos screwed up with their latest update???   I am so fed up with this * !  EVERYTIME they do an “Update” with improvements is messes everything else up!

Any recommendations from anyone for a different system??

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Whilst I, like many others, have been critical of the new app and specifically it being released before it was ready, I think the development need some recognition for the hard work that they have done in the last 4 weeks. 

Whist it is still not fully function and performs badly for many users this is a lot better than the initial version so congratulations and please keep up the good work. 

This certainly is a -broken glass is one drop full perspective...

Why is the list of music in the current play queue not visible?

Why is there only a handful of random and duplicated cover art within the current play queue visible, but still showing that the queue is composed of hundreds of songs?

Why can I not add songs or playlists to the current queue?

Why are the playlists that make up the play queue not visible?

All my music is only being pulled from Amazon.

Android using the most current version app available as of June 14th 2024.

No update on the music library fix……  That Sonos screwed up with their latest update???   I am so fed up with this *!  EVERYTIME they do an “Update” with improvements is messes everything else up!

Any recommendations from anyone for a different system??

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I wish there were! I’m also sick to death of the constant cockpits and failures with this system. I have never, ever, owned a system so utterly bug ridden and unreliable.

Cockups…

I’ve tried constructive feedback but it went unheard so, summarised version. It’s still rubbish

Whilst I, like many others, have been critical of the new app and specifically it being released before it was ready, I think the development need some recognition for the hard work that they have done in the last 4 weeks. 

Whist it is still not fully function and performs badly for many users this is a lot better than the initial version so congratulations and please keep up the good work. 

This certainly is a -broken glass is one drop full perspective...

Plus of course even a broken clock is right twice a day.

The thing is that we are not getting the May 6th App back so we need the May 7th App to develop quickly and have the issues it has solved. In that context I think that the developers have demonstrated that they are working hard to give us, the users, something better.

Of course I’m still angry that the CEO and his team put marketing ahead of their users.

I’m disgusted that they completely ignored the needs of partially sighted users on day one.

I think that it was irresponsible of them to release an app that does not work for a number of users. Whether it’s 5%, 10%, 20% or 90% does not matter to me they  should of tested better and had a plan for this scenario.

But it’s been 6 weeks, the only way is forward, at least that is what Sonos is saying, and more than anything I think that we the users need a voice in the priorities for restoring features, fixing bugs and optimising the performance.

As others have observed that won’t happen in a hostile environment. We need to keep the pressure on Sonos because there is a long way to go but personally I don’t think legal action is viable making the threats a distraction and for those who want to leave the platform there seems to be as many (or more) users ready to buy Sonos speakers on eBay as there are threatening to sell them. 

As for the Sonos share price, it is worth observing because the new app and the release of Ace have not given it the boost that the CEO will have wanted. But, as others have observed, over Patrick Spence’s tenure they are doing OK and they certainly aren’t in trouble.

Finally, as others have observed, this will get sorted out and when it does a lot of things will change especially when our Sonos systems are working as they should.

Sonos is an arrogant company not listening to complaint of Paying customers. What a terrible terrible app update did they launch. I do not know a person thatcis happy.

Sonos is an arrogant company not listening to complaint of Paying customers. What a terrible terrible app update did they launch. I do not know a person thatcis happy.

I will not claim on their behalf that they are “happy” but it is clear from the posts here that a number of users are not as unhappy as others. 

There may be a strong narrative here that the app is a disaster that has wrecked users systems but looking at the detail in the posts the reality is that some users have had minimal issues while others have experienced significant challenges.

I would describe my experience as somewhere in the middle. I have actively avoided changes and ignore the spurious errors from the app. It is painfully slow for me and is still missing functionality.

The only major problem I had was when I ignored my own don’t change anything advice and ended up spending 3 hours getting a Sun Mini and a Pair of Era 100s working with a Beam Gen 1 again.

The main thing that I would like to see is a clear set of priorities and better communications from Sonos. But as others have observed it won’t happen as long as the atmosphere remains toxic.

The main thing that I would like to see is a clear set of priorities and better communications from Sonos. But as others have observed it won’t happen as long as the atmosphere remains toxic.

Sonos deserves the toxicity. It was an incomprehensible business decision to release an app in this state. They need some grown ups in their leadership team.

THE NEW APP UPDATE HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED!!

No firmware update.

Numerical values for volume and group volume sliders

Volume icon to reflect volume level

Support for SonosNet channel selection

Added stereo/mono configuration for Amp/Port output.

Oh Sonos, you’ve had two weeks. Is this the best you could do to stop the hordes at your door??

SonosNet management is now available. Somebody talk about when and how to use it given the new cloud based system...

My two showstoppers still aren’t fixed:

Latest version of the android app still doesn’t work on ChromeOS (crashes on launch after displaying the splash screen).

Qobuz user playlists are still not visible in the android app.

Latest update gets recently played working again but add to end of queue still doesn't work but the error message is now unable to add to queue. Hopefully that error message is picked up by Sonos?

It is past mid June - when is the next update coming - looks like it is late but haven’t seen an update.  Could have missed it while I was out lokking for sonos alternatives since the 3 grade level app update….

when will local library management, network/share management, playlist management and the other features that were broken be updated to work natively in the iOS app.? 

I’ve read the entire thread, I don’t disagree that the new app is a disaster.  The main issue I’ve had is the inability of the new app to talk to my Sonos system in a different vlan.  The old app didn’t have any problems with this (and still doesn’t on my mac).  I’m sure their canned response will be to put everything in the same vlan, I shouldn’t have to redesign my network because they decided to change everything.  

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June

• Playback controls including mute and volume numbers: June

• Local music library search and playback: mid-June

• Improved playback settings including Play Now: July

• Create and edit local music library: July

• Improved Autoplay settings: July

• Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July

• Snooze alarms: TBD

We appreciate your continued patience.

So mid-June has come and gone. Like many other users, I still cannot load my local library. It’s a joke when they talk about all of these other features they are looking at creating, enhancing or restoring. The single fundamental purpose of a speaker is to play your music and SONOS cannot even do that, so everything else is just a waste of time. 

@BrianJG

That information you’ve posted is out of date and a new schedule and detail was issued last week by Sonos, here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

@BrianJG

That information you’ve posted is out of date and a new schedule and detail was issued last week by Sonos, here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Thanks. I don’t particularly feel better that they are just shifting the dates. This is at least the second time they have modified the schedule. 

@BrianJG

Thanks. I don’t particularly feel better that they are just shifting the dates. This is at least the second time they have modified the schedule. 

Note for the most part, pre-existing local libraries are now already showing in the new Sonos App, the plan Sonos have is to add the ability to search and index that library and of course introduce the option to add ‘new’ libraries. Any pre-existing library shares using the "SMBv1” or “http” protocols will still need to be upgraded to “SMBv2” (or higher). If you need to do that, then it’s perhaps worth getting that done before the July update. Hope that assists. 👍

@BrianJG

Note for the most part, pre-existing local libraries are now already showing in the new Sonos App, the plan Sonos have is to add the ability to search and index that library and of course introduce the option to add ‘new’ libraries. Any pre-existing library shares using the "SMBv1” or “http” protocols will still need to be upgraded to “SMBv2” (or higher). If you need to do that, then it’s perhaps worth getting that done before the July update. Hope that assists. 👍

In this list where they say "Local music library search and playback" is there a specific reason they need to include the term playback? Library playback is already possible for SMB2+ libraries (and I assume they're not bringing back the other protocols). So the term playback in this sentence seems redundant to me unless I'm missing what they mean.

In this list where they say "Local music library search and playback" is there a specific reason they need to include the term playback? Library playback is already possible for SMB2+ libraries (and I assume they're not bringing back the other protocols). So the term playback in this sentence seems redundant to me unless I'm missing what they mean.

The only thing I can think of is that some users reported that if they added their library tracks to the Sonos App Home Screen, they were not working/playing (or showing any Artwork). So perhaps it’s that?

@BrianJG

That’s great for anyone who can get their libraries working, but a lot of users on here cannot. Maybe it’s just a Mac thing. I adjusted all of my SMB settings weeks ago. All I can do is listen to crappy SONOS radio. I still have thousands of songs on my devices that I cannot access. It will not even play my saved SONOS playlists. 

@BrianJG

Maybe they are fixing this bug that was still present as of May 2024 

It works for my locally shared library here @BrianJG. So it’s perhaps not a Sonos App issue, as I have the same (latest) Sonos App installed here, in fact it’s always been fine here, even since it was first launched in early May.

Anyhow see how things go with the App updates this month. Hope you can get it working.👍