Skip to main content

Hi all,

Today we announce the Sub Mini, the wireless subwoofer that sets a new standard in its category for powerful, balanced bass.

Available in matte black and white, Sub Mini will be available globally starting October 6.

Sonos Sub Mini

Small but Mighty: Sub Mini Boosts Bass Across Movies, Music, Gaming and More

Bass without the Buzzkill: Dual custom woofers and advanced processing generate deep, dynamic low end with no buzz or rattle, helping you feel more immersed in every scene and song. Within the acoustically sealed cabinet, both woofers face inward to create a force-canceling effect that neutralizes distortion. 

Balanced Sound: Advanced digital signal processing maximizes bass response and reproduces the full-toned low frequencies expected from a much larger subwoofer, allowing paired speakers like Beam, Ray, One, or One SL to focus on more mid-range and high frequencies for a richer, more powerful sound experience all around.

Pairs Well With…: Drum up the drama in every movie scene by pairing Beam or Ray with Sub Mini, or drop it even lower on your at-home dance floor by making Sub Mini your Sonos One’s plus one. 

Looking Great at Every Angle: Unlike other subwoofers, Sub Mini features a round design that allows it to blend naturally into your home aesthetic without taking too much space (or attention). 

Seamless Set-Up: Add Sub Mini to your Sonos system in just a few taps on the Sonos app, mixing and matching with different Sonos speakers to create your perfect sound system, whether you’re hosting a housewarming party or movie night with friends. You can also fine tune Sub Mini’s sound with Trueplay, which detects and adapts the speaker’s sound for reflections off of walls and furniture, giving you the best listening experience for your room and setup. 

Sonos Sub Mini

Building on the award-winning design of Sub, Sub Mini delivers rich, clear low end in a more compact, cylindrical design.

Sub Mini will be available globally starting October 6 2022 for $429USD, £429, €499, $699AUD. For more information, please visit Sonos.com

Read here the full press release on Sonos Sub Mini.

Very nice.   Coming in $70 cheaper than I anticipated.  I’m a little surprised that this can’t be used in pairs, but looks like Sonos really wants to focus this on smaller rooms, rather than cause debate on whether 1 sub or 2 minis are better for a larger room.  

I was trying to find our whether or not you can pair two subs like you can with the Gen 3. How did you find that out? 

So, is there any proof yet that the Sub Mini cannot be paired with a second Sub Mini? I’ve looked briefly but haven't found anything concrete.  And what’s up with the issue with the current Subs? I have a Gen 2 and Gen 3 and set them up with my Arc and Ones when the new Top Gun movie came out for streaming and was pretty stoked with the sound. Please let me know? I’m curious now. 

Very nice.   Coming in $70 cheaper than I anticipated.  I’m a little surprised that this can’t be used in pairs, but looks like Sonos really wants to focus this on smaller rooms, rather than cause debate on whether 1 sub or 2 minis are better for a larger room.  

I was trying to find our whether or not you can pair two subs like you can with the Gen 3. How did you find that out? 

On the product page under the FAQ section.

Can I pair two in the same room?

No. To use two subwoofers in a single room, use Sub (Gen 3).

The FAQ section tends to be the best place to look first for typical questions like this. 

Why won’t this work with Playbase? 
Is PB old architecture?

I love my PB but it seems to have been dropped like a stone. 

Hi @CurryTruck,

Sub Mini will work with Playbase, but it’s not a recommended pairing as Playbase was designed for larger rooms and contains its own subwoofer internally.

Sub Mini is designed to be bonded with smaller products in smaller spaces so it may end up overpowered by a larger home theater product, such as Arc or Playbase.

For what it’s worth, I also love my Playbase so you’re not alone here 🙂

Are you sure about recommended pairings? I have a Playbase with sub gen 2. The base level of the sub once adjusted is not particularly deeper than the Playbase but far more dynamic and frees the Playbase up for clearer mid range. I’d suggest a sub once trueplay has been used and the level adjusted to taste adds a great deal to the audio quality.

I would like a clarification on the speakers that the new Sub Mini is compatible with.

Sonos says for the best experience, pair Sub Mini with Beam, Ray, One or One SL.

On this page: (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5116?language=en_US)

Sonos has a list of speakers that support the Sub Mini:
Five
One (Gen 1)
One (Gen 2)
One SL
Play:1
Play:3
Play:5 (Gen 2)

Other devices are supported by Sub Mini but I did not list them.

What makes the Beam, Ray, One or One SL a better experience than the above list of speakers?

I would like a clarification on the speakers that the new Sub Mini is compatible with.

Sonos says for the best experience, pair Sub Mini with Beam, Ray, One or One SL.

On this page: (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5116?language=en_US)

Sonos has a list of speakers that support the Sub Mini:
Five
One (Gen 1)
One (Gen 2)
One SL
Play:1
Play:3
Play:5 (Gen 2)

Other devices are supported by Sub Mini but I did not list them.

What makes the Beam, Ray, One or One SL a better experience than the above list of speakers?

Because of the Mini’s size, as in volume capability, it is a better match for the speakers with similar capabilities.  if you bond it with larger speakers, it will be overmatched.

Very nice, but still quite expensive right now. A refurbed gen 2 sub wouldn't be far off. In any case, I'd imagine we'll get some good deals on this from time to time in the future - I'd like one of these to support my old Beam up in the bedroom.

The current issues with the old sub in recent updates look conspicuous. Seems weird to be releasing a new sub product when Sonos is struggling with the old one.

The current issues with the old sub in recent updates look conspicuous. Seems weird to be releasing a new sub product when Sonos is struggling with the old one.

Not really. Sonos is known to have a multi-year development cycle and it’s entirely possible that the software dev for the Mini was completed some time back.  I certainly would not assume resources were moved from support/bug fixes to development for this product.  Besides, we know the release of the Mini was already delayed once, and it would not look good at all if the product was delayed further, possibly missing the busy Christmas retail season.

People frustrated with issues on the main sub, but it would be foolish to postpone this release for that reason, disappointing customers who were waiting for Mini (so many rumors) as well as investors.

Very nice, but still quite expensive right now. A refurbed gen 2 sub wouldn't be far off. In any case, I'd imagine we'll get some good deals on this from time to time in the future - I'd like one of these to support my old Beam up in the bedroom.

I agree about the price. 

But in regards to the current issues with the old sub I think Hanlon’s razer applies here (never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity)

Great announcement. I wish I had a justification to buy it. But, alas my Beam (Gen2) is already bonded with a Sub 3. I have an extra Sonos One but it is being used in my garage. It’s not used enough to justify a sub.

Anyone considering a sonos mini sub, read previous ‘announcements’ before parting with your hard earned cash.

trust me !

Darn it, when are the headphones coming?

Yes..UPDATE topics everywhere but no posts or comments from SONOS…

You are not getting an update.  Sonos doesn't give them.  So put on your big boy pants and stop the tantrum, or at least post your whinging in a thread where it's on topic.  Some of us want to actually discuss the Sub Mini.

Yes..UPDATE topics everywhere but no posts or comments from SONOS…

You are not getting an update.  Sonos doesn't give them.  So put on your big boy pants and stop the tantrum, or at least post your whinging in a thread where it's on topic.  Some of us want to actually discuss the 

I mean if you are going to have a tantrum over a post you probably shouldn’t accuse another poster of having a tantrum, but maybe I’m just old fashioned. 

I mean if you are going to have a tantrum over a post you probably shouldn’t accuse another poster of having a tantrum, but maybe I’m just old fashioned. 

No tantrum, just getting the child in line.

My comment has been removed because I pointed out that sub us not working and Sonos have to get it back on track ... Seriously... What next ? Ban ? Lol

Freedom of speech Sonos... I didn't insult anyone or said anything wrong , just fix the sub... You have to remove 90% of comments then from 14.12 software update...

Seems pretty clear that it was removed for being off topic for this thread, not because you weren’t allowed to speak about it on the forums at all.   

What do you expect..all hoorays for a new sub when so many are having issues for money already spent..and no feed back from Sonos on the issues. 

Again the expectation was to stay on topic.  Really seems silly to claim that Sonos shouldn’t release the product that a lot of customers have been asking for just because the issue with your system hasn’t been fixed yet. It’s not like anyone asked you to come to this thread and pretend to be happy about the mini sub

One thing I’m glad to see is that they went with matte colors, so it actually matches the other products.  Was never really liking the glossy look.  I’ve always wanted to hide the full size sub to be honest.

Will Sub Mini work with Play1 or Play3 if using S2 app?

Will Sub Mini work with Play1 or Play3 if using S2 app?

Yes.

This one isn’t for me for two reasons; no place for it since the old one has enough life in it and a place for itself where it isn’t noticed, and this one will mean a move to S2 that I will not make.

But if those two reasons do not apply, this looks like the perfect companion for a One pair, and will deliver high quality sound from a very good looking set up - I am willing to bet without an audition. 

Same here. I already have 2 Sonos subs in different rooms and have been waiting for the mini so I can add to my summerhouse to use with my beam and the connect amp in there, but im on The S1 App and don't really want to split my setup with the S2 App.

Hello Everyone,

Have you an idea if the new Sub Mini works with the Play1 ?

Thank you forward for your feedback.

Kind regards.

Hello Everyone,

Have you an idea if the new Sub Mini works with the Play1 ?

Thank you forward for your feedback.

Kind regards.

As long as the Play:1 is on S2, yes 🙂

Hi @Jeffrey_35  

@Corry P can you have Sonos add for a shopping option set: 1 Sub Mini AND either 1 or 2 Subs? Call it the “All About the Bass” Set. Get Meghan Trainor to do the ad for it. Look at that free marketing advice- well, actually I’ll just take an All About the Bass set for payment please. 🤣

I think the Mini Sub is more likely to be paired in box sets with devices it can work together with, such as Beam. Ray and Ones, rather than Sub, though I do get your point. I simply don’t know what the marketing people are planning, however.

Will the Sub Mini pair with the Arc? Or am I being an idiot? Is there any point in pairing it with an Arc?

Will the Sub Mini pair with the Arc? Or am I being an idiot? Is there any point in pairing it with an Arc?

Yes it will.  As to there being a point, I guess that’s up to the listener.