Why No Bluetooth Stereo on Move and Roam?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

109 replies

Badge

The question that really matters, surely, is: "For how many potential purchasers is lack of stereo pairing over Bluetooth a deal breaker?"

I would venture to suggest that the answer is "hardly any".

If so, Sonos' decision not to have this feature is neither embarrassing nor inexplicable. 

I’d venture to suggest that you are wrong. Roam is designed to be portable--i.e. travel--speaker. You cannot pair them to hotel internet. There are LOTS of people working as digital nomads that would be looking for this feature. Any $20 pair of wireless earbuds can pair as a set. It is ridiculous that these cannot. 

The question that really matters, surely, is: "For how many potential purchasers is lack of stereo pairing over Bluetooth a deal breaker?"

If so, Sonos' decision not to have this feature is neither embarrassing nor inexplicable. 

I have a Sonos Move and was thinking of getting a Move 2.  But, I will not buy another Move portable speaker from Sonos until they add stereo pairing with Bluetooth.  Too much money to spend to not have that functionality.  I think Sonos purposely  holds off on these features to force you to buy future updated speakers.  Not doing it.

Just use a dual BT transmitter, or any nearby mobile hotspot and you can send Bluetooth audio to two or, in some instances, ‘many more’ Roam/Move speakers - the Move 2 has stereo output anyway. If you don’t want to purchase though that’s entirely your prerogative. The Move 2 can even help keep mobile devices/hotspots charged up too.

STILL no BT stereo pairing?  How disappointing.

It’s now available in certain configurations. See the S2 14.6 software release note here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521

Trying to understand what the release notes mean, especially the when connected to WiFi part.

“When connected to WiFi, Roam and Roam SL stereo pairs can now play stereo audio from Bluetooth sources. These stereo pairs will no longer separate when switching to Bluetooth mode. “

For example when I take my Roam and a Roam SL with me in my RV to the beach

will I be able to use them as a bluetooth stereo pair?

If I add a wifi router to my RV without world wide web connectivity, will that work?

Yes it should work fine. It needs the WiFi network to pair, not the internet. The Bluetooth audio then plays to the pair. I use it in our camper van, albeit in my case, I don’t carry the music with me so I do have mobile internet too, but it’s not necessary once you have setup and registered the Sonos devices.

I’m impressed with the speakers quality but the fact that I can’t use my pair on the move is ridiculous! If it can be done via Wi-Fi why not via Bluetooth?

it’s totally inexplicable, embarrassing and ridiculous! I’m selling mine as battery life is also an issue for me. 

Curious as to what you find out. Without doing research, I’d assume that the ‘Dual Audio’ function is just two Bluetooth streams that are the same, and not a left/right stereo separation thing. 

But I concur, I think it’s a mistake for us to consider the Roam as anything other than a ‘personal’ speaker. Trying to force it in to replacing the functions of a Sonos Move, or Sonos One will likely end in unhappiness. The design is too different. 

Isn't the fact that WiFi and Bluetooth pairing are different technologies part of the explanation why Sonos has not incorporated BT pairing? It is certainly possible and Sonos have chosen not to add it. I presume this was a purely commercial judgement. Sonos may be right and they may be wrong, but despite what some contributors to this thread seem to think, they are not stupid.

I am coming to much the same conclusion as @melvimbe , whilst recognising that everybody’s use of Sonos is unique to them.  I think the Roam’s sound quality is amazing for its size, but stereo is of little value unless you are sitting in the ‘sweet spot’ and listening fairly attentively.  And I don’t think the Roam is quite good enough for that.  I would rather have a single Move, or possibly even a single One playing in the kitchen, than a stereo pair of Roams.  Purely a personal view, and I don’t expect everyone to agree.

I would agree that Roam isn’t great for a space like a kitchen.   I think it works better in smaller spaces...but it’s difficult to really to have the Roam play double duty as both your portable speaker outside the home and covering a room in your home.  Can be done, but just not ideal.  I think I would rather have a single Move for this, and just to carry to the backyard for that case.

On a different point, just as an experiment, I managed to play by Bluetooth to both my Roams simultaneously using ‘Dual Audio’ from my Samsung S9.  I think ‘Dual Audio’ may be a Samsung customisation rather than a core Android function.  But it worked for me and may be of interest to some users, who perhaps want the greater oomph of two speakers more than they want genuine stereo.  (And, possibly, own a recent Samsung device.)

Edit and further thought - I wonder if I can Dual Audio to my Move and one Roam?  Can’t think why I couldn’t.  Can’t think why I would want to, either.

Edit 2.  This thread has more on Samsung dual audio

I don’t think the dual audio is for artificially creating a stereo pair, as that wouldn’t be good for some cases.  We are thinking it in terms of two portable speakers, but I imagine many want to connect to two  pairs of headphones instead.  It would be ideal if you had two kids in the backseat, for example.

But I concur, I think it’s a mistake for us to consider the Roam as anything other than a ‘personal’ speaker. Trying to force it in to replacing the functions of a Sonos Move, or Sonos One will likely end in unhappiness. The design is too different. 

I don’t see the Roam as replacing a Move or One, but it is versitle and fits some needs better than a Move or One.  And there are cases where you could use a Move, One, or Roam, but one of them is clearly the best tool for the job….if that makes sense.

Thanks for your reply and advice.  I researched dual transmitting and discovered that I can connect and stream to two bluetooth speakers at the same time by using "dual audio" on my Samsung Galaxy phone.  Below is link to instructions.  

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/setup-dual-audio/

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello all,

Just wanted to add in here that I would also like to see stereo pairing of my roams or moves in Bluetooth mode, I’d even be fine with just dual mono, but rather than starting a new thread figured I’d jump on this band wagon. 
Currently use the roams around the campfire and when more people arrive I switch to the move. It’s not just for the overall sound being louder but for the fullness of the sound. 

From what I understand the Samsung phones can split the Bluetooth signal into two devices(mono), sadly iPhones seem to be lacking in that option (hoping the iPhone 13 or whatever they name it will be offering that option)

Anyways, hoping it comes sooner than later!

Unless it requires a second set of electronics and antenna to handle a separate signal coming from either the other Roam or from the bluetooth generating device.

Not difficult at all. Sonos could just have everyone send in their  Roams for them to get the second set of electronics. They’d likely need to charge for such a service, since opening up the older devices and inserting new electronics might be challenging….if there’s even space for it. And they’d likely have to change their current manufacturing process to reflect the new stuff inside the Roam, and charge more, since the cost of goods would be going up. 

Piece of cake. Nothing to it, especially if the current antenna and electronics already handle all of that. In which case, why wouldn’t they have already done this for release?

A deal breaker? That’s the bar that Sonos is trying to meet with its products?

It’s a deal breaker for me because I was considering buying two to add to my sonos system but if they can't be used away from home, I’m going to wait until they add this feature. Clearly other people also care because they have made the same comments. Are you trolling here? I’m just giving honest feedback.

And the devices could use whatever protocol works best according to the developers, bluetooth or wifi.

Agreed.  This is a deal breaker for me.  I have one Move and would like to add another for outside patio listening on Bluetooth as a stereo pair.  Considered the Roam also, but limited stereo pairing on Bluetooth makes this a non-purchase for me.

Thanks KG for the thoughtful write up and pics.  How do you get your music if the mifi device the roams are connected to doesn’t have a SIM card and therefore data connection?

either way, it seems like a lot of work and extra products to do something that competing speakers already do out of the box (JBL, Bose, etc).  I’m a huge Sonos fan, but this feature is simply missing.  Great job for engineering around it, too much trouble for me, though.

for me, sadly I’m boxing them back up and taking them back.  If that feature is added, then I’ll reconsider.  If I’m the only one that feels that way, then so be it.  From reading this thread string, I really don’t think I am.

I’m glad I’m not the only one disappointed that Bluetooth stereo pairing is not possible with two Roams. My main use case for my Roam is watching tv and movies at the inlaws on my laptop. The sound on the Roam is a good improvement from laptop speakers, but it is at the expense of stereo separation. I’d buy a second Roam immediately if they added this feature. I agree, it really seems like a missed opportunity and a blemish on an otherwise great portable speaker.

Yes this a major development oversight. All the technology/hardware for this capability is already present in these devices as designed. If they have wifi capabiliy/adapter, then the development team could have figured this out. The Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 2 can do this very easily; it’s definitely not over complicating anything from a customer perspective. Embarrassing oversight!

Pretty sure that stereo pairing over bluetooth wouldn’t be utilizing WiFi.

@AndrewJ . Why is it trolling to express an opinion different from yours? I haven't suggested that you have no right to express an opinion different from mine. I have not made any personally critical comments. 

And you are of course entitled not to buy a product that does not meet your needs.  And of course to explain your reasons. 

Maybe Sonos have made a stupid mistake.  I think it unlikely.  Please explain why expressing that view would be trolling. 

This is an incredible product that lets itself down shockingly on this one point. I bought two speakers to put on our boat and on holiday home garden where there is no wifi. So disappointed to discover no stereo bluetooth pairing. What’s so annoying is that this is a simple software update presumably. It really coloured my relationship with the brand after me being blown away by how good the product was. Get on with it Sonos! Write some code, test it, push it out! 

I would be curious to see some information that shows how hardware that was built and designed to work as a mono speaker via bluetooth can easily be converted over to work as a stereo pair via a software update.  I’m not saying it’s not possible, just don’t think I can assume that it’s an easy code fix scenario.  And I certainly don’t know enough about bluetooth transmission/receiving.

Userlevel 2

Hardware already supports.  It’s an app change.  Guess you are not a technically savvy person.   

I certainly haven’t opened one, nor have I found any published information about the hardware inside, so perhaps I don’t know which chipset the network stack is interacting with. 

Userlevel 1

If Sonos do add this feature they will do so for 2 Roams and/or 2 Moves. 

As you have bought a Roam and a Move, are you hoping that these will one day be stereo pairable? If so, that is very very unlikely, either in WiFi or Bluetooth modes.

Yea. Was hoping it would work just like my Bose micro and Bose revolve. They could pair with Bluetooth. I will have to get a travel router and a battery pack to accomplish this with Sonos I guess. 

Why isn't stereo pairing via Bluetooth available on either the Move or Roam?

I have Bluetooth speakers from 2015 that cost $50 each that have stereo pairing capability.  I spent over $850 on a pair of Move's and was shocked to find they didn't have this capability.  It's a little mind boggling of an audio tech leader (and premium priced) Sonos product.

I'd be interested in purchasing a pair of the new Roam's, but without Bluetooth stereo pairing capability, I'm going to pass.  My primary use for these would be the beach, which obviously doesn't have Wi-Fi.

Are there any plans to add Bluetooth stereo pairing capability to the Roam or Move?  If not, why?

It appears SONOS isn't listening to us customers.  BOYCOTT THEIR PRODUCTS...   I have spent upward of 3K on the system I have in my home. Next upgrade I will steer far away from SONOS. The Bluetooth stereo pairing is a big disappointment.  Their customer service sucks as well...

No comment or update from SONOS means they probably aren't working on a solution, got our money, and just don't care.

BOYCOTT SONOS.

if one day I’m able to Bluetooth pair them, the 10 second walk out of my house to my vehicle won’t prevent me from bringing them along to tailgates, beach bonfires, camping or any other outdoor group gathering where I provide the tunes.  

I did exactly that when I travelled extensively in the pre Covid times with my mini rig portable BT speakers. They do wireless stereo pairing via bluetooth and when it works fine, it makes a big difference to the listening experience even outdoors. But here is the thing with them - the bluetooth pairing can be glitchy at times and perhaps that is a bluetooth limitation. 

Badge

Isn't the fact that WiFi and Bluetooth pairing are different technologies part of the explanation why Sonos has not incorporated BT pairing? It is certainly possible and Sonos have chosen not to add it. I presume this was a purely commercial judgement. Sonos may be right and they may be wrong, but despite what some contributors to this thread seem to think, they are not stupid.

I kinda answered this above. The earlier poster was wrong to say “If it can be done via Wi-Fi why not via Bluetooth?” That’s not relevant because they are different technologies and cannot be compared. But both technologies are independently able to use two independent speakers as a stereo pair. 

Also, whether they are stupid or not is irrelevant. But it IS ridiculous that speakers that were designed to travel speakers with stereo pairing CANNOT BE USED IN ANY HOTEL CHAIN IN THE WORLD as a stereo pair. So it is is not a stretch to say, “Yeah, that decision (or oversight) was pretty stupid.”

Curious as to how the Wonderbooms achieve this. Is it a single signal to the first one, and then the speaker sends a second Bluetooth signal to the second speaker? Or is there some special software that allows your device to send two disparate Bluetooth channels, one to each speaker?

Userlevel 2

I was quite upset when realized its missing on Move. And its even bigger fail for Roam, as its concept is even more portable and lack of BT stereo kills whole concept for me....

This is the worst speaker i ever bought….. 

my frist one was the first UE boom i think 2014 and still running and stereo !!

What are sonos doing with this S..T !!!  I lost my money with this ridiculous speakers 

If Sonos wanted to add stereo pairing they mostly likely can make it happen. But I have a feeling that they don’t do it  because it would hurt their other products especially their soundbars. Most likely a business decision ! 

This is plainly nonsensical.  You would only be using a soundbar on home WiFi and the Roam can be stereo paired on WiFi.  I think you must be confusing this issue with the fact that the Roam cannot be used as surround speakers, which is a completely different issue with totally different rationale.