Answered

Sonos Roam keeps disconnecting while playing

Show first post

100 replies

I must admit I’m relieved to see so many of you with the same issue I have with my Sonos Roam SL. I bought this because I had purchased another one for a second home--which was PERFECT right out of the box. This additional one that I bought about 4 months ago constantly disconnects randomly, several times a day, and is not easy to reconnect. No other wifi items in my home behaves like this. Because the other one works so well, this has to be a defective product. Other than putting me through endless rebooting and trying to blame it on my router, Sonos has been no help. What a black mark on their good name. You take your chances buying this product.

Try switching the WiFi band in use. So as an example if the Roam is using the 5Ghz band SSID then switch it to the 2.4Ghz band instead. Set that band to use a fixed ‘non-overlapping’ channel, either 1, 6 or 11, with a channel width of 20Mhz only and see if that resolves your issue.

(PS - don’t forget to remove the 5Ghz SSID from the device using the App network settings). 

Hope that fixes things for you. 👍

@Ken_Griffiths or @Beagle Mom, can you give instructions on how to deselect the 5G option?  I clicked on System but don’t see anything about 5G.  Thanks.

Try switching the WiFi band in use. So as an example if the Roam is using the 5Ghz band SSID then switch it to the 2.4Ghz band instead. Set that band to use a fixed ‘non-overlapping’ channel, either 1, 6 or 11, with a channel width of 20Mhz only and see if that resolves your issue.

(PS - don’t forget to remove the 5Ghz SSID from the device using the App network settings). 

Hope that fixes things for you. 👍

@Ken_Griffiths or @Beagle Mom, can you give instructions on how to deselect the 5G option?  I clicked on System but don’t see anything about 5G.  Thanks.

To remove any WiFi network SSID from a Sonos Household see this Sonos Support link below, but just ensure you have added the new WiFi SSID if switching say to a 2.4Ghz band… (you will see it in the same list - see the ‘example’ screenshot attached).

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/remove-a-wifi-network-from-your-sonos-system

Hope that assists 👍

Since it’s not giving you an option in the Sonos app to change from 5G, I’m thinking your problem may be a different one. I am on a different network now  (the one where the SONOS speaker has always worked well) and when I checked the SONOS app to see if there were choices, it was grayed out with no choices. (probably like what you’re seeing). Ken might have some other ideas. Good luck! 

Wifi Networks/SSID’s and their cAsE sEnsiTiVe credentials need to be added (or removed) to/from Sonos speakers using the Sonos App network settings - use the ‘Update Networks’ feature (see screenshot in my previous post) to quickly add a nearby WiFi network SSID to a speaker like the Sonos Roam etc.

Another similar option (for anyone perhaps not using an ISP provided router with their Google Nest WiFi Mesh setup) is to perhaps just run a separate WiFi router off the primary nest hub (or connected switch) and hang Sonos, plus a dedicated controller, off that router instead.

To transfer the system to the new router/WiFi see this this Sonos support link: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

I guess the point here, like, everyone else is trying to say, is that it doesn't happen on my other Sonos products. Ever. So why is it repeatedly on the roam? 

Phone is galaxy 23 ultra. No VPNs, firewalls etc 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

It’s happening the same with my Sonos Roam and it's been like this for months,   no matter if I’m using Airplay or  Spotify, it stops playing randomly.   my router is the M5 from TP Link, rebooted several times, updated the app and reinstall the controller but it makes no difference, no matter if other devices work fine in my network, the Roam kips glitchin    

Same.  Doesn’t matter if I’m on wifi or Bluetooth, Spotify or from phone directly.  Always dropping out and/or failing to connect.  No other network issues in house.  Think it’s an issue with Roam that Sonos aren’t acknowledging.  Lots of reports of this. 
Perhaps call Sonos and ask for a replacement 

Have you set up a “reserved” IP address for your Roam in the router’s firmware? Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it? Is there any possibility of wifi interference ?

I’ve been having this problem now with Roam for the six months I’ve been using it. From where I’m sitting, it’s a Sonos Roam problem and anything said to the contrary is letting Sonos off the hook. My system -- 2 One SLs, Beam, Sub, Port w/cd player, and all Apple devices -- does not suffer this disconnection problem. If it did, I wouldn’t have purchased the Roam. So: I await a fix from Sonos. 

You haven’t outlined what WiFi standard, band, channel and channel-width you’re using, as it can make a huge difference if you have the portable device on an overlapping channel, or the channel-width is causing interference and as mentioned earlier, the 5Ghz band is certainly not as penetrating, or as far-reaching as the 2.4Ghz band. Try shifting the Roam to improve its connection (as outlined) and just see what happens.

Userlevel 2
Badge

The problem is back. After a few days the defective Roam has disconnected again.

The Roam is again showing as ‘Not Connected’

Userlevel 2

My sonos roam keeps dropping out also. Plays a minute of a track and then stops. It's connected to a play 1 that is working fine. 

It's the first time it's happened and it's really annoying. 

Great to receive some solutions but in my opinion Sonos Roam should be the easy to use carry on speaker. I mainly use it outside in my garden where I like to have the same stream as inside the house. I use Tune-in for streaming and because the Roam keeps disconnecting, I get the annoying ‘Tunein’ soundlogo followed by commercials every time the Roam reconnect. 

If Sonos does not take these issue seriously, I’ll start to swap all my Sonos equipment for another brand. 

I can step 60 feet outside our home in the rear garden and the Roam stays connected to our routers 5Ghz band just fine.

After that distance, the Roam switches to the 2.4Ghz band in our case,  which has much longer reach and is far more penetrating through walls etc. so if you’re having difficulties outside your Home, then set your Roam to use the 2.4Ghz band - I recommend using the (least used) fixed ‘non-overlapping’ channel, either 1, 6 or 11 and set a channel-width of 20Mhz only. Perhaps see if that improves your network connection to the Roam. I find the Roams wireless adapter works well and has a very good wireless reach for such a small, compact, device.

Unfortunately, I’m also experiencing these issues. And while I am by no means a networking guru I will try to be very specific about what I mean by “disconnecting”. First some background. I have a Sonos Roam which I’m controlling via my iPhone 14 Pro. I already tried making an IP reservation and updated to the latest firmware. Neither of which had any effect. Private Relay is also disabled on my home network. I’m in the process of moving to a new home which has whatever router Spectrum Internet uses for its 1 Gbps service. This is temporary though as it will eventually be replaced by my eero 6 wifi system from my current home. But at the moment “mesh” wifi is not a factor. The router is in a large, open great room just a few feet from the Roam. As we haven’t completely moved in the only other devices on the WiFi are a few Ring cameras, a smart thermostat, and a few smart phones. IOW, it’s hardly being taxed. And the only device “disconnecting” is the Roam. My observations over the last few months …

1. When I enter the new home my iPhone automatically connects to the WiFi. I power up the  Roam and within 15-20 seconds the solid white LED is visible and it shows up as a device in the Spectrum app and in the Music app as an AirPlay target. However, neither the Sonos app nor the Music app is ever able to connect to it at that point. I have to toggle off the WiFi on my iPhone, wait a few seconds, then toggle it back on in order for the Sonos app or the Music app to actually “see” it. Essentially, the Roam has to be connected to the WiFi first before the iPhone connects to the WiFi in order for either app to be able to control the Roam. 

2. I start playing music over WiFi and it sounds great. The Roam really is a fantastic sounding device for its size. A bit better than my HomePod mini stereo pair. Though nowhere near as nice as my OG HomePod stereo pair. But I digress. It may play just fine for minutes or even hours but eventually it will “disconnect” from my iPhone. If I’m using the Music app via AirPlay the app will no longer “see” the Roam and the music will stop playing. If I’m using the Sonos app it will no longer “see” the Roam but the music keeps playing because it’s streaming the music directly. I have to toggle off the WiFi on my iPhone, wait a few seconds, then toggle it back on in order for the Sonos app or the Music app to actually “see” the Roam again. 

3. I never experience #1 or #2 with my HomePods. The Roam is my only Sonos device so I can’t speak to that ecosystem myself. But I have no reason to doubt others who’ve said the Roam is their only Sonos device which has this issue. None of my other WiFi devices are “disconnecting” in any way. Therefore, I have no reason whatsoever to think this is an issue with my router … it’s an issue with the Roam.

4. The Roam doesn’t appear to be disconnecting from the WiFi itself. It’s disconnecting from the controlling device on the WiFi network. 

I have 3 Roams. One continues to disconnect while the other two always stay connected. If someone ever finds a fix, please post. I have tried everything people mention in this thread.

Maybe check your router/access points to see which WiFi bands/AP’s each Roam is using, as that may perhaps provide you with some answers.

Ken, this is a great idea and I did just confirm the faulty one was connected to a different access point so I shut that down to force connection to the same as the other two. I will check back in a week and see if this works.

There is definitely a correlation between between either the access point in my basement, or the Pelton bike or Google Nest Mini Gen 2 conflicting with my one troubled Roam and causing it to disconnect. Just not sure which one or combo is causing the issue. For now, I have unplugged the basement access point and I have maintained connection for over 24 hours on the Roam. The Google Nest Mini Gen 2 is on right now and I will be using the Peloton soon. If I maintain connection to Roam for another 24 hours, then I will have better data.

There is definitely a correlation between between either the access point in my basement, or the Pelton bike or Google Nest Mini Gen 2 conflicting with my one troubled Roam and causing it to disconnect. Just not sure which one or combo is causing the issue. For now, I have unplugged the basement access point and I have maintained connection for over 24 hours on the Roam. The Google Nest Mini Gen 2 is on right now and I will be using the Peloton soon. If I maintain connection to Roam for another 24 hours, then I will have better data.

Is the access point a wireless range extender, a WiFi mesh hub, and/or is it wired back to the router? If it’s a wireless range extender, then note that those devices/AP’s are not part of the Sonos system requirements as mentioned HERE. Although some extenders ‘may’ sometimes work if they operate to mimic the same WiFi band SSID’s as your router and use the same channels (which should be fixed and non-overlapping i.e. Channel 1, 6 or 11) and have all you access points set to a channel-width of 20Mhz only for their 2.4Ghz band. Note that this will likely give the range extender the best shot at working with Sonos, but there’s still no guarantees as they are not ‘officially’ supported.

Following up again:

turns out the camera interference is not the problem. The Roam is sitting on the 5Ghz network as you suggested and it drops off. Unfortunately, my router does not support forcing a device onto a specific frequency at this time (although they say it’s coming).

Is there anything that can be done on the Roam’s end? If the device can’t use a 5Ghz connection reliably, why does it connect at all? I know my WiFi cams will only connect via 2.4Ghz. Can’t the roam do the same?

Edit:

Updating again: Fully disabled 5Ghz on my router just to test the theory and the Roam still drops off 2.4Ghz. This is very frustrating.  

What channel is the 2.4Ghz band using? If not using already, perhaps set it to either channel 1, 6 or 11. Also try playing a different audio source like Sonos radio (as an example) and see what happens in that case.

@TechBrothaOG,

I see you mentioned Spectrum in your post -

We’ll see if things get better or not once I replace the Spectrum router with my Eero 6. But given the posts here, on Reddit, and quite frankly … all over the internet …. I’m not particularly hopeful. It really does appear that there is some sort of bug or design flaw in the Roam’s networking stack.  As I mentioned above, I don’t have these issues with my HomePods. And we can’t even chalk that up to Apple hardware working better with Apple software because the Roam exhibits the same issues with both Apple’s app and its own Sonos app. That being said, I do find it to be rock solid as a Bluetooth speaker. I have no issues in that mode whatsoever. So I’ve found that if I want to be able to reliably control it from my iPhone I’ll connect via Bluetooth. But if I want the best sound quality with music playing in the background I’ll connect via Wifi from the Sonos app … which is “sub-optimal” at best compared to the Apple Music app for a variety of reasons … so the music will keep playing at least when it inevitably disconnects from my iPhone. But TBH I’ve found that I can’t recommend the Roam to a potential customer because of this. I paid the premium for it precisely because it’s an Airplay 2 speaker in addition to being a Bluetooth speaker. I should never have to use Bluetooth when I’m at home on my WiFi network. But it’s so unreliable on WiFi that I’m forced to choose between control and sound quality. 

The problem is back. After a few days the defective Roam has disconnected again.

The Roam is again showing as ‘Not Connected’

Sorry to hear that, also sorry because I do have a few questions to ask you, notwithstanding that there maybe a hardware issue…

• What is the make/model of your router?
  • Is the router firmware up to date?
  • Which band and WiFi channels & channel-width were in use by the Roam when all was working okay?
  • Have, or are, you able to fix the channels and channel-width for your routers WiFi combined bands?
  • What is the IP address ‘lease time’ in your routers DHCP settings?
  • What power-saving settings are you using for the Roam in its room settings in ‘Settings/System/[Roam Name]’?

So, have you submitted a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and called Sonos Support to discuss it?

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Even with WiFi Power Saving mode off, the defective Roam continues to disconnect from Sonos.

From your earlier post, QOS is not enabled.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Is the access point a wireless range extender, a WiFi mesh hub, and/or is it wired back to the router? If it’s a wireless range extender, then note that those devices/AP’s are not part of the Sonos system requirements as mentioned HERE. Although some extenders ‘may’ sometimes work if they operate to mimic the same WiFi band SSID’s as your router and use the same channels (which should be fixed and non-overlapping i.e. Channel 1, 6 or 11) and have all you access points set to a channel-width of 20Mhz only for their 2.4Ghz band. Note that this will likely give the range extender the best shot at working with Sonos, but there’s still no guarantees as they are not ‘officially’ supported.

I have a Google mesh.

Even with WiFi Power Saving mode off, the defective Roam continues to disconnect from Sonos.

From your earlier post, QOS is not enabled.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Is the Roam actually dropping its IP address and/or shutting down completely, with no status LED showing when it goes offline? Or is it simply going into ‘sleep’ mode, where you can wake it with the press of the power button - or is it in ‘standby’ and still ready to play with its status LED showing, can you just clarify what you are seeing.

I’m just going to pile on and say that both Roam and Move are terrible for staying connected and the idea that I need to get in and mess around with my router setting to fix is unacceptable to me.

I love my SONOS but I have zero defence we I hear people talking about how unreliable the software has become.  It sucks. 

The roam needs fixing every time I go to use it. Every time. Same with the Move.  

They’re expensive and they don’t work reliably. 

I have a Google mesh.

Then you shouldn’t need to switch off your mesh access points… Sonos should work fine with most mesh WiFi setups - but if the Google system allows you,  maybe steer your Roam onto the 2.4Ghz band and set a channel-width for that band of 20Mhz only. If you can fix the channels too, then select a non-overlapping channel as mentioned earlier.

Userlevel 1

Following up again:

turns out the camera interference is not the problem. The Roam is sitting on the 5Ghz network as you suggested and it drops off. Unfortunately, my router does not support forcing a device onto a specific frequency at this time (although they say it’s coming).

Is there anything that can be done on the Roam’s end? If the device can’t use a 5Ghz connection reliably, why does it connect at all? I know my WiFi cams will only connect via 2.4Ghz. Can’t the roam do the same?

Edit:

Updating again: Fully disabled 5Ghz on my router just to test the theory and the Roam still drops off 2.4Ghz. This is very frustrating.  

What channel is the 2.4Ghz band using? If not using already, perhaps set it to either channel 1, 6 or 11. Also try playing a different audio source like Sonos radio (as an example) and see what happens in that case.

Unfortunately my mesh system (TP-Link Deco) doesn’t allow for manual channel picking.