Skip to main content
Question

Will A Pair of Roam 2 Speakers Work in Bluetooth Stereo when no Wi-Fi AP is Available?

Question: Will a pair of Roam 2 speakers work and stereo on the road when I'm traveling where only a Bluetooth connection is available? 

Documentation says that it requires Wi-Fi. That implies an access point. 

Connecting through Bluetooth alone, can I use my mobile device only and have the pair of Roam 2 speakers work in stereo? 

Thx g

6 replies

No.

No not in stereo - but some TX devices will play/steam to two at the same time with dual-audio out. But perhaps easier to just use a mobile hotspot instead and group, or stereo pair, them that way.

Userlevel 1
Badge

When I am camping, I have cellular but no Wi-Fi.

Despite the eponymous name, Roam 2 really can’t roam.

Thanks for the response. I got the answer that I needed. 

It means do not purchase Roam 2 speakers, because they do not roam in stereo.

When I am camping, I have cellular but no Wi-Fi.

Despite the eponymous name, Roam 2 really can’t roam.

Thanks for the response. I got the answer that I needed. 

It means do not purchase Roam 2 speakers, because they do not roam in stereo.

I just use a d-link dwr-2101 MiFi - and there’s no way I’d travel without my Roams. They’re one of the first things on the list to pack.

I get great stereo audio day-in, day-out either at Home or away. If there’s a TV nearby, I get TV stereo audio too through my FireStick. I can also use AirPlay, Direct Control, UPnP/DLNA, both Alexa and Sonos voice control. SoundSwap and I have access to Hundreds of Audio sources including…

• Amazon Music
  • Apple Music
  • Spotify
  • YouTube Audio
  • Plex
  • Audio Books
  • Sonos Radio
  • Podcasts 

… and so so much more besides. 

So, can you play stereo with two Roams, if you have a WiFi AP, when your connected to the Roams by Bluetooth?

So, can you play stereo with two Roams, if you have a WiFi AP, when your connected to the Roams by Bluetooth?

Yes, the WiFi is there and enables stereo pairing and/(or grouping - max. 32 Sonos players) - and you simply play the Bluetooth audio to the one Roam speaker, which distributes the necessary channel audio to the ‘pair’ and/or to any other ‘grouped’ speakers.