WiFi Extender Solutions?

• 22 December 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi folks,

I recently purchased a pair of Sonos Fives for my living room, and a Move for the rest of the house. I’m very happy with them. I have a question regarding WiFi extenders - no doubt similar to others that have been asked, but I guess everyone’s use case is slightly different.

I have a downstairs gym where WiFi is patchy. If I have the Move upstairs (i.e. where connection is easy) and play something then take it downstairs, it can still remain connected to the WiFi network, but it’s patchy and often drops out. It seems harder to play something from scratch downstairs. I also have a treadmill down there which requires WiFi. This seems to work a little better, but again sometimes it’s glitchy.

I’m looking for a solution which would extend WiFi connection down there reliably. Hopefully this would work for both devices - i.e. I’m not sure a Boost would do anything for my treadmill! Browsing some previous forum conversations it seems this is not completely simple.

Suggestions most welcome. Many thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I would personally opt to go with a WiFi mesh system these days. See the Sonos system requirements:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126

A Sonos Boost or other wired Sonos device will make no difference to your ‘Move’, as it will not run on a SonosNet signal, it will only ever use your WiFi signal

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Numerous mesh based systems and extenders but you are always using bandwidth to make the hop. Net result speed is always slower. That’s not to say they don’t work, they do. (Eero and Amplfi seem to get good recommendations)

But first, is it possible to run CAT5 nearer and put a proper access point in? If you are there long term it’s worth the effort. 

dave. 

Many thanks both. These both sound like plausible options. Snooping around downstairs, I found this Ethernet port! Clearly I’m not too tech savvy. Spoke to the guy who wired it, and he says it’s either Cat 6 or Cat 5 Enhanced.

So I can just use this as an access point I assume? Any suggestions around particular gear, or doesn’t it really matter for these purposes?

Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

CAT5e/CAT6 are fine. I presume there is a port upstairs close to router. This will need plugging in to a port on router, then a cable downstairs to access point of your choice. CAT5e cables are fine regardless of CAT5e/6 cable in wall. 

I have had UniFi for so long I have no idea what else is out there, it’s good but not cheap and has a learning curve. But almost anything would do. But if you want to see if there is an access point that matches your router it is normally better. . (Netgear, TPLink, ASUS all make access points). 

Great - thanks. Yes, there is a port near the router, and apparently cable downstairs already. I’ll give it a go!

TP Link works fine as a wireless access point, wired to the jack in the photo. It just needs to be a model where DHCP can be turned off for it to properly serve Sonos units in the space. I use the TP-Link TL-WA850RE N300 Wireless Range Extender.

CAT5e/CAT6 are fine. I presume there is a port upstairs close to router. This will need plugging in to a port on router, then a cable downstairs to access point of your choice. CAT5e cables are fine regardless of CAT5e/6 cable in wall. 

I have had UniFi for so long I have no idea what else is out there, it’s good but not cheap and has a learning curve. But almost anything would do. But if you want to see if there is an access point that matches your router it is normally better. . (Netgear, TPLink, ASUS all make access points). 

So I’m guessing something like this will be fine:

https://ui.com/wi-fi

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Unless you want to get into UniFi stuff (or already have some) then not really. UniFi takes a bit of set-up and you need a controller setting up to manage all the hardware. If you have a USG/UDM already then fine. 

if you do have UniFi then yes the A6-Lite is great (I have one, and 14 other APs across our home/commercial site).

if you don’t I’d be looking to match my main router. 
dave. 

Got it - thank you!