Answered

Spotify stops playing after 2 tracks

I bought a Sonos Roam and the first  spotify album I played on it was fine. But after I’d linked Sonos to Spotify my phone started seemingly getting out of sync with the speaker. What happens is this:

1. Start album on spotify
  2. The current time of the first track gets out of sync with the speaker, so it displays the wrong playing time in both the app and in iOS UI.
  3. Next track plays ok but the current song is still set to the first track with the current time being the end of that track
  4. At the end of the second track the music stops altogether, despite there being more tracks queued to play

I’ve tried killing both apps but the issue persists. I’ve only just got this speaker and it has never worked correctly for more than an hour so I’m not very happy. I performed diagnostics after the issue occurred.

My home network uses boosters and is very fast vodafone 5Ghz, I just clocked it at 300Mbps.

Diagnostic number: 1167079518

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 4 June 2023, 00:23

View original

20 replies

Since Sonos Support doesn’t frequent these boards, you may get faster service if you were to call Sonos Support directly to discuss your diagnostic. Or, wait until a forum moderator, of which there are many fewer, has time to look at it. 

I bought a Sonos Roam and the first  spotify album I played on it was fine. But after I’d linked Sonos to Spotify my phone started seemingly getting out of sync with the speaker. What happens is this:

1. Start album on spotify
  2. The current time of the first track gets out of sync with the speaker, so it displays the wrong playing time in both the app and in iOS UI.
  3. Next track plays ok but the current song is still set to the first track with the current time being the end of that track
  4. At the end of the second track the music stops altogether, despite there being more tracks queued to play

I’ve tried killing both apps but the issue persists. I’ve only just got this speaker and it has never worked correctly for more than an hour so I’m not very happy. I performed diagnostics after the issue occurred.

My home network uses boosters and is very fast vodafone 5Ghz, I just clocked it at 300Mbps.

Diagnostic number: 1167079518

Note I believe the Spotify App uses an old version of Airplay (v1) whereas the Roam uses Airplay v2 - maybe use Spotify ‘connect’ to Sonos API (recommended), or try a Bluetooth connection instead. 

Note if by WiFi ‘boosters’ you are referring to wireless extenders, these are specifically not supported by Sonos products, as mentioned here in the system requirements:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-system-requirements

Oh man that sucks. Yeah my router came with range boosters and the whole point of buying this was to use it in my garden. I guess I’m returning this and can’t use any Sonos products going forward. Excellent. 

Oh man that sucks. Yeah my router came with range boosters and the whole point of buying this was to use it in my garden. I guess I’m returning this and can’t use any Sonos products going forward. Excellent. 

Do the AP’s have the option of wiring them directly back to the router, or do they have ‘device blacklisting’ options by MAC address, as you could try a number of things before giving up.

For instance you could either blacklist the Sonos products to all use the router only… or …set your AP’s to use the same SSID/Fixed (non-overlapping) WiFi  Channels as your router and set the 2.4Ghz band channel-width to 20Mhz only on both the router and your AP’s and perhaps see if that might work for you instead.

I need the speaker to work with boosters as that’s the whole reason I bought it. However I did try black listing but I can’t do it for individual boosters. It just gets blocked on the whole network. The ssid of the boosters isn’t different from the router afaik and it all appears as the same network. 

I don’t have any 2.4GHz options on my router. It seems to be 5GHz only. 

I guess another option would be to swap to an era 100 and wire it in maybe? 

I need the speaker to work with boosters as that’s the whole reason I bought it. However I did try black listing but I can’t do it for individual boosters. It just gets blocked on the whole network. The ssid of the boosters isn’t different from the router afaik and it all appears as the same network. 

I don’t have any 2.4GHz options on my router. It seems to be 5GHz only. 

I guess another option would be to swap to an era 100 and wire it in maybe? 

You maybe better off switching to a mesh based WiFi system instead, as your WiFi extenders may present you with with SSDP multicast device discovery issues, which Sonos controllers use to discover the speakers on the local network. I’m guessing your extenders are probably operating as different network segments and those devices are not supported because some extenders (not all) may have issues passing the muticast ‘discovery’ packets back and forth between devices.

I’m surprised your extenders do not have their own web interface for configuration/blacklisting - most do support that feature, so I would double check their user manual.

I’m pretty sure I am on a mesh network. I’m using Vodafone router and boosters. All appears as the same network. I switched the compression setting back to Auto. I had set it to uncompressed. Seems to be working ok today! Contacted Sonos support as well and they said my network setup should be compatible. 

thanks for the suggestions though. For now this seems to be fixed for me. 

This happens to me as well when using either my new Macbook Air or iPhone 13 Pro Max.  

If I play Spotify through the Sonos app on my laptop, it works.  Super frustrating.

I am not sure if this is actually answered: I have the same issue where starting an album or playlist on the Spotify Desktop app for MacOS and using Spotify connect to play it to any of my speakers (at lest to the Move, Amp, and Connect) causes the exact playback pattern described:

1. The first song or two play
  2. Eventually the playback progress bar time gets out of sync with the track
  3. Also, as noted, successive tracks might play on the Sonos, but Spotify will be stuck showing the de-synced track.
  4. Finally, music will stop playing

I think the WiFi extender thing is a red hearing as I have no WiFi extenders

I am not on a mesh or extended network.  

Oh yeah and I should add that playback is rock solid when using the Sonos app (for iOS or MacOS), but when using Spotify Connect to control Sonos from the Spotify app (Mac or iOS) playback has become completely unreliable to the point where I just can’t do it. 

This does not seem like an issue with WiFi, but some kind of problem with the API between Spotify and Sonos not being in sync anymore.

Unfortunately, the Spotify app is much more full featured for listening to Spotify, and I miss a lot of the features that it has when I am forced to use the Sonos app.

Oh also I noticed the “accepted” answer suggests to use Spotify Connect rather than airplay. To be clear, this issue only occurs when using Spotify Connect (via the 🔈 speaker icon in the Spotify app). 

I am able to connect to my Sonos products via Airplay, and I get continuous playback, but this is not what we are talking about here. The problem is with Spotify Connect and Sonos. 

Same issue where Sonos and Spotify is out of sync. I do t have a mesh nor extenders. I do have numerous Ubiquity AP’s and both the speaker and my phone are on the same AP.  Do we have a new issue and is there an ETA to fix?

Created an account just to say that I am having the same issue.  Very annoying.  Please fix. 

This issue is happening to me as well using Spotify connect. Reliably stops playback after 2 songs. Doesn’t matter which device I’m streaming from. 

This issue is definitely still present in my system. When using Spotify Connect and selecting my speaker  (it does not matter which speaker or group of speakers), the track clock will fall out of sync and playback will stop after two songs. This happens from Android and from Windows 10. This does not happen when using my roam via bluetooth. A few other troubleshooting steps have led me to believe that this may be an issue with the way that Spotify send playlist information to the Sonos network.

I can also confirm that the issue started presenting after an update to Spotify. I would be curious to hear if anyone has found a fix to this!

Same issue here. iOS 16.5.1 and Spotify 8.8.54

Same issue. Has gone away and come back multiple times, often after being disconnected from the speakers and the wifi. Disconnecting from Sonos and reconnecting sometimes has fixed this for me so maybe that will also work for others? The issue has also occurred suddenly after multiple hours of successful playback. Wi-Fi signal is very strong and setup is about one year old and previously without any issues. 

IOS 16.1.1, Spotify 8.8.54.544

This started happening to me about a month ago as well.  I first noticed it happening when I installed an S1 system at my mom’s house (Sonos play 5 gen 1). Song would play for 2 songs and then stop. 

When I went back home to listen to my S2 system, it was fine.  Fast forward about 3 weeks later I’m getting the weird 2 song max when I connect with Spotify.  I’ve had my system for a few years now and everything has worked pretty flawlessly.  

I recently integrated some older Sonos speakers into my s2 system at home and noticed a degradation in the responsiveness when I select songs or volume up/down.  The timing of it could be a coincidence. 

I’m on a mesh wifi system at home deco TP LINK.  I’ve never had problems until July 2023.

Badge

Same issue here, after a Sonos update. When starting a song from Spotify it would show the 1st track only and stop playing after 2 tracks.

I've tried the suggesions here and whats google found, no luck. What eventually worked for me was to delete the speakers from the Sonos app and reconnect them.